Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curiosity On Mars Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Whats Curiosity looking at?
    0635ML0026970010302691E01_DXXX-br2.jpg
    Here's a little panorama i roughly assembled from Curiosity's pics. When i say "roughly assembled" i don't mean i can do a better job!:)
    marscuriositypanoramamay2014_zps27584aad.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Are you using Photoshop for those panos?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Fairly dusty over on the mountains there.

Are you using Photoshop for those panos?
    Yes. Just photoshop elements i think its called. Theres probably dedicated tools that make panoramics now but i cant justify the money on them.

Fairly dusty over on the mountains there.
    You mean the haze, right?
    I still cant fathom how earth-like some of these views are. Of course, atmospheric pressure is about 1000 times less than here. Was there any study done on how small the particles are that are airborne? Cant imagine they'd be too big, given the air density or lack thereof!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Although the temperature on Mars can reach above freezing (0 °C (273 K; 32 °F)), liquid water is unstable over much of the planet, as the atmospheric pressure is below water's triple point and water ice sublimes into water vapor.

Could it be water vapor? Similar to the way rivers spring from mountains on earth, could it be a similar situation but in the form of water vapor?
    Dust storms are most common during perihelion, when the planet receives 40 percent more sunlight than during aphelion. During aphelion water ice clouds form in the atmosphere, interacting with the dust particles and affecting the temperature of the planet.[31]

It has been suggested that dust storms on Mars could play a role in storm formation similar to that of water clouds on Earth.[citation needed] Observation since the 1950s has shown that the chances of a planet-wide dust storm in a particular Martian year are approximately one in three.[32]

Found this just there, this could be the explanation of the hazyiness above the mountains possibly.
    Quotes from wikipedia

Curiosity having an Edmund Hillary moment.
    NLB_454217024EDR_S0330000NCAM00552M_.JPG

Looking back on a fair bit of a drive! Taken at 01:56 UTC this morning apparently...
    NLB_455204514EDR_F0340286NCAM00298M_.JPG
    Heres more or less the same view but more to the right. That dark sand is what Curiosity is having to pass before reaching a point where it can cross.
    NLB_455204545EDR_F0340286NCAM00298M_.JPG
    And here's a traverse map showing the drive so far.
    MSL_TraverseMap_Sol0644-br2.jpg
    Emily Lakdawalla over at the Planetary Society has a goot traverse map showing the route Curiosity hopes to take to the Entry Point at a place called Murray Buttes. Stop sniggering down the back please!
    http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2014/05301651-curiosity-update-sols-631-644.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

What an age we live in, to be able to see such amazing and detailed pictures of the Martian landscape, absolutely wonderful, Thank You.:)

Some day we'll get there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

NASA put up this gorgeous picture of Dingo Pass:
    I'm quoting a previous poster, sorry I couldn't quote your post (messed up), I don't want took like I'm stealing yours without a word of thanks

pia17944_mcam-sol538-wb_0.jpg

[/QUOTE]

This is easily the most impressive picture of Mars I've ever seen, endless sand dunes (upper left almost makes me want to run up them) and it looks like something out of Frank Herbert, but it's real!

Pics like this deserve to be plastered in children's mind and across the news! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

cracking pic

I took that as a distant mountain range top left

what I'd give to have a half dozen of those rocks on the left.Worth millions on Earth

*edit* actually now I'm looking again they look like meteorites some of them so they could be ordinary chondrites and not Martian at all.Although the fact that they landed on Mars would of course give them special provenance <
    pure conjecture

Thats some photo! The sand dune looks much firmer than i thought so that bodes well for future sand dunes up near murrays butt, i mean murray buttes!

Sorry.

Nice shot taken this morning at 06:34 UTC
    What could that circle be? Old crater??
    NLB_455739764EDR_F0341120NCAM00254M_-br2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Regarding the large picture what is that flourescent glowing mineral where the tracks end in the dark sand and you can see it again in the more recent tracks.
    I'd love to find out!

Mt.Sharp is looking a lot closer now eh? I don't know about you lads but i'm dying to see what all that dark sand is all about!

NLB_457064605EDR_F0371542NCAM00273M_.JPG

shanered wrote: »
    Regarding the large picture what is that flourescent glowing mineral where the tracks end in the dark sand and you can see it again in the more recent tracks.
    I'd love to find out!
    Opportunity and spirit found that too.

Is this what you're referring to?:
    http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/20071210a.html
    SAN FRANCISCO - Researchers using NASA's twin Mars rovers are sorting out two possible origins for one of Spirit's most important discoveries, while also getting Spirit to a favorable spot for surviving the next Martian winter.

The puzzle is what produced a patch of nearly pure silica -- the main ingredient of window glass -- that Spirit found last May. It could have come from either a hot-spring environment or an environment called a fumarole, in which acidic steam rises through cracks. On Earth, both of these types of settings teem with microbial life.

"Whichever of those conditions produced it, this concentration of silica is probably the most significant discovery by Spirit for revealing a habitable niche that existed on Mars in the past," said Steve Squyres of Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y., principal investigator for the rovers' science payload. "The evidence is pointing most strongly toward fumarolic conditions, like you might see in Hawaii and in Iceland. Compared with deposits formed at hot springs, we know less about how well fumarolic deposits can preserve microbial fossils. That's something needing more study here on Earth."
    PIA09491-Sol1187A_P2533_1_True_RAD_br.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 im blue daba dee

a few days late, but

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CURIOSITY!!!

Curiositys ears must have been burning because here she is using APXS, i think, on a dug out sandy bit.
    Theres a hazcam view from a day or two ago and the wheel looked awfully deep. Careful now!:P
    NLB_457239783EDR_F0380000NCAM00320M_.JPG

There's the hazcam view:
    FLB_457239745EDR_F0380000FHAZ00206M_.JPG

There were a load of nice shots from the other day that had nice dune patterns too. No colour mastcam ones though. Still, here's a look back over some dune buggying tracks:
    NLB_457153737EDR_F0380000NCAM00276M_.JPG

Getting close to Murray Buttes now so i expect driving progress to slow while science gets done. I saw a traverse map the other day but i can't seem to find it. It looks as though Curiosity is in line with the dark sandy bit it's been passing this past while. Real good progress and the wheels held out great!

pia18387-MSL-ChemCam-Lebanon-br2.jpg
    Curiosity Finds Iron Meteorite on Mars

This rock encountered by NASA's Curiosity Mars rover is an iron meteorite called "Lebanon," similar in shape and luster to iron meteorites found on Mars by the previous generation of rovers, Spirit and Opportunity. Lebanon is about 2 yards or 2 meters wide (left to right, from this angle). The smaller piece in the foreground is called "Lebanon B."

This view combines a series of high-resolution circular images taken by the Remote Micro-Imager (RMI) of Curiosity's Chemistry and Camera (ChemCam) instrument with color and context from rover's Mast Camera (Mastcam). The component images were taken during the 640th Martian day, or sol, of Curiosity's work on Mars (May 25, 2014).

More...
    http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/?ImageID=6433

• Advertisement

Just noticing how late this announcement is : article published today, but it was found on Sol 640 ???

And looking at the location map, they kept that pretty quiet, no ? Maybe I just missed it. :o

MSL_TraverseMap_Sol0641-br2.jpg

The updates seem sporadic alright. Too busy ogling hd meteorite images i guess!
    Bring it on baby!!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

that thing is gorgeous.Do we have an idea of scale.Looks like it could be at least hundreds of kilos

*oops--I see it's 2 metres wide.That thing weighs tons

that thing is gorgeous.Do we have an idea of scale.Looks like it could be at least hundreds of kilos
    Would that be here or on mars...
    I'll get me coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

shedweller wrote: »
    Would that be here or on mars...
    I'll get me coat...

Mass vs weight fail. :P

Lol! Its only a bit of craic meteorites eire. I just couldnt help it!
    She is a beauty though. Is that pic done in true colour? Whats the story with the apparent lack of rust? Is it a newish meteorite and hasnt rusted yet? Nickel maybe???

Is there anything to oxidize it on Mars? There's no oxygen in the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

shedweller wrote: »
    Lol! Its only a bit of craic meteorites eire. I just couldnt help it!
    She is a beauty though. Is that pic done in true colour? Whats the story with the apparent lack of rust? Is it a newish meteorite and hasnt rusted yet? Nickel maybe???

Oxygen is required for rusting i believe

Klair88 wrote: »
    Oxygen is required for rusting i believe
    Ah yes but wasn't the brown soils colour because of oxidation, albeit slowly?
    Or was it solar radiation that caused it?

Edit.
    I looked at the wiki page for it and my head now hurts! Seems like chemistry is responsible.
    So the meteorite above is relatively new. Yay!

• Advertisement

I haven't checked up on this, but I thought the rusty soil is a throwback to the formation of the planet when it would have oxidized while it was still hot and partially molten. Could be wrong on that though.

Advertisement