Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5hp johnson outboard

Options
  • 11-06-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

i recently picked up a johnson outboard about a 8 yr old from a friend and just wondering about how it runs , its a little smokey ( could be down to the mix , but i did mix it properly ! )

secondly what temp should the discharge water be , luke warm like tap water from a hot tap ?
    its seems hotter wen its idleing and a bit cooler the more its reved up , is this right ?

and finally could it be damaged by running it out of the water ( by accident ) and what would the signs be of this damage ?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

First off change the impeller it could be damaged from running dry or just old age. The water should be luke warm.
    It could have damaged the head or head gasket if it got too hot doing a compression test will tell you if you have a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 deergrove

thanks for that just got the engine back all of the above but cost 150e to fix not to bad , impeller waterpump and head damage .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

deergrove wrote: »
    thanks for that just got the engine back all of the above but cost 150e to fix not to bad , impeller waterpump and head damage .

Thats not a bad price at all, glad it's all sorted.

Wheelie bins are handy if you want to run your engine and you can't get earmuffs to fit :D
    003-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Horace

Hi im looking to but a 6 or 8 hp two stroke long shaft outboard either new or second hand as my old mercury has finally had enough and died, Any advice on which are the best makes and which to avoid would be appreciated, The outboard would be used on a 15 ft O Sullivans boat for a inshore fishing.

Hi Horace, most outboards are more or less the same if there was one better we would all have mercs :D Go for one that has a supplier close to you, there are some cheep motors like "wind" but when you need someone to work on it and need to get parts it will cost you.
    Whats up with your merc I have seen some dead engines in my time that have been brought back to life :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement