Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high blood pressure

Options
  • 09-06-2012 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Sorry guys not sure what forum this query should be posted, so please moderators feel free to move this thread to the right place if its wrong. Basically I went for a medical yesterday at work and my blood pressure was 180/80. My blood pressure always rises when I'm at doctor and I can't explain why? I don't mind getting bloods taken unlike most people but freak out when the blood pressure unit is attached to me. I take my own blood pressure myself and it always goes down to normal after a few attempts. I am a bit worried though at the same time.

I am 26. Height 6foot 2 and weigh 77kg.

Help and advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

White Coat syndrome..Dont worry about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

pebbles21 wrote: »
    White Coat syndrome..Dont worry about it!
    Anything I can do to stop it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Consider getting a 24-hour monitor.

180/80 is quite high and I wouldn't be happy to assume it's just white coat syndrome. Even If measurements I took myself were lower.

Has your GP suggested anything? Like a short course of anti-anxiety meds like Xanax before a bp check?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

all mccabes pharmacies do 24 hour bp monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Consider getting a 24-hour monitor.

180/80 is quite high and I wouldn't be happy to assume it's just white coat syndrome. Even If measurements I took myself were lower.

Has your GP suggested anything? Like a short course of anti-anxiety meds like Xanax before a bp check?

Got one in 2005 after my gp thought my bp was high. The results from it were normal blood pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Squatman

180 is high, and worryingly high, 80 is low, and may indicate white coat syndrome, but best to talk with your GP and follow their advice

Advertisement