Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 or Gaming Laptop?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Varik wrote: »

That would be a good reason not to spend 2k on a toy.

Don't be a bollix.

Grow up

OP is a kid, your remember being young?

We could all be dead in a few years, no reason he can't enjoy his savings.

What you want is one of these babies OP

PC in a console case.

Alienware X51

iADGgqPAhS9qu.jpg

iQj6g1ZJ6plMV.jpg

lbvXWaHMLD2CR4.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472732

Get your uncle to buy it to avoid vat and put a 130 euro 6870 type graphics card into it.

http://www.dell.com/ie/business/p/alienware-x51/fs

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11391849/art/amd/radeon-hd-6870-1-gb-gddr5.html

You should have a console style PC

With

English Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)

Intel® Core™ i5-2320 Processor (3.00GHz, 6MB L3 Cache, 4C)

2GB GDDR5 ATI RADEON 6870

8GB 1333MHz (2x4GB) Dual Channel Memory

1TB Serial ATA (7,200 rpm)

For 900 euro all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ithinkimcute

Gaming laptop is better than spending so much money for a Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

My brother bought a gaming laptop which was horribly expensive and overheated after about 18 months. I play most of my games on PC but would never buy a laptop for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

If it has to be the choice between a gaming laptop and a console I think I would consider a gaming laptop. Its the worst option available as PC gaming goes, but it the price of gaming on the PC is so much cheaper. Just look at the current humble bundle to see what you can get for a small amount of money which isn't available on the consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

RoverZT wrote: »
    We could all be dead in a few years, no reason he can't enjoy his savings.

No one said he cant enjoy his savings, he can buy gaming gear all he wishes for all we care.... he could however do so without defrauding the state and the tax payers so he can buy himself a luxury item.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

hightower1 wrote: »
    No one said he cant enjoy his savings, he can buy gaming gear all he wishes for all we care.... he could however do so without defrauding the state and the tax payers so he can buy himself a luxury item.

Ah, jaysus, I know a load of people who bought bikes on the Bike to work scheme and have never once cycled to work and I don't think they would say that they defrauded the state (and neither would I). If there is a tax loophole out there, blame the people who make the rules. Hate the game, not the player ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why not build an mAtx machine? Gaming laptops just aren't worth it in my opinion - at least, not if you're looking at it as a high end gaming platform. I suppose if you had the money to upgrade frequently, but as a once off expensive investment akin to what you're doing, the price: performance ratio is pretty bad. For the price of a decent gaming laptop you could build a more powerful mAtx machine and have a fair whack left over to spend on whatever, or even to put back into the machine.

I used to be a die hard PC Gamer and while I've gotten back into it a bit lately, I mostly just play the Xbox these days - depending on your genre preferences, it really isn't as much of a step down as people tend to make it out to be. Granted, in some cases, it is night and day - Battlefield 3 is a good example. The 360 version is absolutely crippled in comparison.

Not to mention you can pick up a 250GB 360 these days for about 190-200 euro though.

My advice would definitely be an mAtx build though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Also as to the X51, that case would require a LP card, so doesn't that rule out the 6870? I've only ever seen the somewhat lower end cards available for LP, and while they'd possibly be marginally better than a 360, it might as well be buying a laptop for the limitations its imposing on himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The gaming laptop will have a number of advantages over an xbox, and at the end of the day it can act just like an xbox, plug in some xbox controllers, plug it into your TV and it'll do the console thing just as well if not better.

I'd say the hardware that's around now will be current for a while. As long as you get a PC with better specs than the next generation of consoles you should be good till the end of that generations reign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'd say the hardware that's around now will be current for a while. As long as you get a PC with better specs than the next generation of consoles you should be good till the end of that generations reign.

You won't be "good" for half that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I have a gaming laptop(which is a bit outdated at this stage) and a PS3. I'd advise you to get the XBOX and a mid-range laptop.Unless you have enough money to get a proper gaming laptop there's no point doing it half-arsed.

My laptop is only 3 years old and I've already had to spend 80 euro to upgrade the processor in order to play games. Its almost impossible to actually play games on the move with it because the battery will only last an hour. I have to have mine plugged in all the time.

My laptop cost me 650 dollars at the time.It was a very good spec but it became quickly outdated.

If all comes to all just get 2 xboxs and a netbook or you could get a good laptop and maybe try to get a docking station and make sort of a media hub.

Also as to the X51, that case would require a LP card, so doesn't that rule out the 6870? I've only ever seen the somewhat lower end cards available for LP, and while they'd possibly be marginally better than a 360, it might as well be buying a laptop for the limitations its imposing on himself.

You can fit a double slot graphics card into the X51.

6870 would be grand, 7850 be the card to get though.

Or the Nvidia 660 TI when it comes out in a month or two

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Looking at your thread kinda won me over a bit, was it hard to change out the gfx card? Ive built two computers before so I have experience but that case is small.

Case is not a problem, most cards fit.

It's selling very well in the States and most put 6870/7850 into them.

Make sure you get the one with 330 watt psu.

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=d00and07&c=ie&l=en&s=bsd&cs=iebsdt1&model_id=alienware-x51

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Wane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Chavways wrote: »
    My laptop cost me 650 dollars at the time.It was a very good spec but it became quickly outdated.

It couldn't have been very good spec for that price. A very good spec gaming la[ptop will be $1500+.

I got one of these from Sager last year: http://www.gamingonlaptops.com/brands/clevo/x8100/
    Never had any performance issues with it, can run almost anything on top graphics (some games have issues using crossfire).

If you're going to get a laptop, get a clevo. They give you the ability to upgrade much more easily.

Advertisement