Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 BN to disband???

Options
  • 08-06-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Heard a rumour that the 6TH BN is to be disbanded. Anyone else hear of this??. I havent heard alot about it just got a phone call earlier

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

FANTAPANTS wrote: »
    Heard a rumour that the 6TH BN is to be disbanded. Anyone else hear of this??. I havent heard alot about it just got a phone call earlier

In the proposed 2 brigade structure at least one Bn will be wound up.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

In the proposed 2 brigade structure at least one Bn will be wound up.

6th it is then Mullingar to be head boys in athlone now id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Well seen as the Cav from Longford are in Athlone longer then Mullingar lads id doubt they will be head? and what unit will the 6bn be integrated into? because we all know they wont be leaving Athlone so..... :rolleyes:

From what i hear is galway is gonna be getting 6th bn troops, mullingar SGT MAJOR is going to be barrack MAJOR and any thing with 4 in front off like 4th lsb 4th cav is to be down scaled, but only time will tell the country is ****ed and money is drying up in the defence forces rapid

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

And another one,Limerick and Galway are to be merged,which would be a split Bn.
    So many rumours.........hard to know.

• Advertisement

money is drying up for wages and pensions so it looks like a way to drive people out of the job by making them travel serious distances that it wont pay them to work but we will see by the end off the year or b4 that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Nobody knows at the moment. Everything you hear is just ballhops and rumour. None of it is true.
    The only one who knows is the CoS.

He doesn't post on Boards.ie.

thefishone wrote: »
    And another one,Limerick and Galway are to be merged,which would be a split Bn.
    So many rumours.........hard to know.

That's an old one. Galway going into the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

That's an old one. Galway going into the South.

Which it will,under the new 2 brigade structure*;)

Edit. *or possibly not

If what this article describes, there would be no General, or Colonel, North of a line between Dublin and Cork and only about 1,500 troops spread between 4 or 5 installations. It seems absolute madness to concentrate everything into the South eastern quadrant of the State.

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2012/06/06/4010767-over-600-army-posts-to-leave-athlonebr/

• Advertisement

That article is bollox. "An informed source " is someone making guesses on the internet. Possibly someone in the Army, most likely a private.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

"an informed source"........that would be "Investment".........:D

If anything Galway will be moving not athlone, and even at that I cant see it happening yes the 4th western may be disbanded but after that I doubt any more installations will shut.

here you go http://www.advertiser.ie/athlone/article/52423/future-of-4th-western-brigade-hq-under-question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I heard on Friday that the West is completely gone, it is being amalgamated with the South. The 5th Bn in the East is going to be amalgamated with the 2nd Bn and DFHQ will be taking control of McKee Bks.

I heard the Army is to be disbanded completely and made a marine corps element of the Naval service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

benwavner wrote: »
    I heard on Friday that the West is completely gone, it is being amalgamated with the South. The 5th Bn in the East is going to be amalgamated with the 2nd Bn and DFHQ will be taking control of McKee Bks.

This came out of the weekly conference on Friday, It is the most "up to date" proposal from the office of the CoS........not from some spa that heard it from an old sweat.

Although, it is a believe it when I see it scenario, God only knows what the real plans are.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

The only one who knows is the CoS.

He doesn't post on Boards.ie.

Yes I do, but Shhhhhh, it's a secret;)

SIRREX wrote: »
    Yes I do, but Shhhhhh, it's a secret;)

Sorry Chief.:cool:

benwavner wrote: »
    This came out of the weekly conference on Friday, It is the most "up to date" proposal from the office of the CoS........not from some spa that heard it from an old sweat.

Although, it is a believe it when I see it scenario, God only knows what the real plans are.

That would be more consistent with the East being shut down and Dublin and the Curragh controlled directly from GHQ with the rest divided between the South and West (re-named the North)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

That would be more consistent with the East being shut down and Dublin and the Curragh controlled directly from GHQ with the rest divided between the South and West (re-named the North)

Closing Athlone is much more politically sensitive than closing any of the other Brigade HQs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Story doing the rounds in political circles at the moment is that Athlone Barracks is gone. Story is likely to break in the next short while.

EDIT: FF's Robert Troy has stated in the Dail that he belives a closure announcement is imminent and has asked the Minister for Defence to clarify. Government has said that no such decision has been made but has clarified that there will be a reformation of the army into two brigades down from three. Briagde HQ's to be in Cork and Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

I won't be surprised, but what's your source for this, anything concrete?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Custume wont close but it will lose its HQ status as the 2 Bde HQ's will now be cork and dublin. numbers at Custume will be about 1000 total.

Welcome to the Eastern Bde Westies.

Infact theyll probably just have a northern and southern brigade now so its probably bye bye east too.

Morphéus wrote: »
    Custume wont close but it will lose its HQ status as the 2 Bde HQ's will now be cork and dublin. numbers at Custume will be about 1000 total.

Welcome to the Eastern Bde Westies.

Infact theyll probably just have a northern and southern brigade now so its probably bye bye east too.

Ok,so there's really no new info. as we had heard just 4 Bde hq disappearing and bde bodies retiring or absorbed elsewhere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

triskell wrote: »
    Ok,so there's really no new info. as we had heard just 4 Bde hq disappearing and bde bodies retiring or absorbed elsewhere

One thing of note is that the Minsiter has stated that Custume Barracks will have no more than 1,000 soliders attached to it.

Apparently there are 1,400 attached to the barracks at present when you take into account soliders serving abroad? One would fear that this would be trhe beginning of a long process of downgrading for the barracks now that it will not be a HQ.

One thing of note is that the Minsiter has stated that Custume Barracks will have no more than 1,000 soliders attached to it.

Apparently there are 1,400 attached to the barracks at present when you take into account soliders serving abroad? One would fear that this would be trhe beginning of a long process of downgrading for the barracks now that it will not be a HQ.

I don't think it's a fear, more of a certainty it will go the same as columb bks, if 6 btn no longer have parent they will surely be absorbed elsewhere e.g finner Limerick. IMO it's only a matter of time till we see another decommissioned.:(

triskell wrote: »
    I don't think it's a fear, more of a certainty it will go the same as columb bks, if 6 btn no longer have parent they will surely be absorbed elsewhere e.g finner Limerick. IMO it's only a matter of time till we see another decommissioned.:(

I heard its cav boys,arty, signals and engineers that will be moving again!! east and west will merge and thats that! but then the minister said when he was opening the air ambulance in the barracks abot 3 weeks ago that knowone would be moving from athlone, but we know we will loose our HQ status. how long will Limerick last until they too are sent too cork? galway? who knows?

I heard its cav boys,arty, signals and engineers that will be moving again!! east and west will merge and thats that! but then the minister said when he was opening the air ambulance in the barracks abot 3 weeks ago that knowone would be moving from athlone, but we know we will loose our HQ status. how long will Limerick last until they too are sent too cork? galway? who knows?
    The air ambulance have been training in there the last few weeks so thats a good sign, but then that thing could be based any where in the country it don't look great. Time will tell.

No it was based in Athlone for its central location. no it doesn't look great, in fairness the west has taken its fair share of closers and the like? Fine loose HQ status but why move troops who have just moved there?

• Advertisement

It's depressing to see the Defence Forces being messed about with so much.

Advertisement