Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Recovery from London

Options
  • 06-06-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

I have bought a W123 Merc. in West London, the engine is seized. Does anyone know of a flatbed recovery truck with a good winch who would be returning empty, and looking for a return load, and drop it in Shannon. Anytime in the next few weeks would be O.K. This can not be loaded on a multicar transporter, as it can not be driven on.:):D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

have you tried putting an add on shiply.com , or handyhaulage.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

There are a number of Multicar transporter operator who can take a non runner. they have a winch. london can be a nightmare, the lorry might not be allowed in ,depending on its exhaust emmissions, big daily tax also, Also the big truck might not fit in the street.
    if you do use a big truck, then a single vehicle recovery man in the area would bring it to the big truck, wherever it could park .possibly 50 pounds would do this.

In transport terms London means bad news. maybe its on the outskirts?

I used Gilpins of Loughall for a non runner. took ages ,though. I now know how to solve that . get the drivers mobile number ,get the low down, offer a tip.

All in all London( particularly if central London) to Shannon is going to be costly

Regards ,Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭acmatman

contact John Flynn Recovery 087/9907206 059/9143519 very good operator

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

acmatman wrote: »

Didn't someone on an other thread say he is now charging €700 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

hi5 wrote: »

Didn't someone on an other thread say he is now charging €700 ?

€700 sounds fair , if you had to collect it yourself a ferry for a van and trailer €400 ish return plus fuel say €150 , food ,tolls ect. €50 , €600 total ,paying an extra €100 euro and it's delivered to your door hassle free saving you two days of your time sounds good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭mountain

i used NVD in the past month, collected from Newcastle and delivered to Cork within a week, for 299+ vat, for a running car, dont know what the story with a non runner is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

mountain wrote: »
    i used NVD in the past month, collected from Newcastle and delivered to Cork within a week, for 299+ vat, for a running car, dont know what the story with a non runner is.

They will certainly not collect unless car drives on and off transporter :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

charges mad money..........off the wall :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭acmatman

I have used John Flynn on a few occasions ,the last time he not only collected the car but paid the seller as well with cash I sent over with him

I have used John Flynn on a few occasions ,the last time he not only collected the car but paid the seller as well with cash I sent over with him

He's not exclusive in offering that service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

John Flynn only guy I use when I need that service.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Thank you all for your usefull comments and suggestions. N.V.D. were E299+ VAT. but the car had to be running, Shiply quoted £669, & £ 689. The car is West of London just off the A40. I contact John Flynn on Thur. and he collected it Yesterday, and will drop it in Shannon Tue. next, for E500. which under the circumstances, I think was pretty good. I did get other quotes, but they varied from E450 up to E650, but I felt comfortable using John Flynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Thanks for the update Matt, That sounds a lot better than €780.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78583541

hi5 wrote: »
    Thanks for the update Matt, That sounds a lot better than €780.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78583541

in fairness to Flynn, the €780 he quoted previous was probably doing the run as a special, with no other drop/collection on his run.

The average is £450stg to 500 to get a car out of london to irl - I do it regular, and with diesel,time,tacho,vosa hassles,ferry prices, I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That`s mental money, my Ferry was 150e, fuel 50e, burger king 10e, no tolls.

Read the post ! car doesn't drive :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

a very nice gentleman wanted 400 euro to collect a car from wexford and deliver it to mullingar

Collected one in Poole last Monday, Aer lingus to Heathrow, E65. Coach to Poole, £22., Petrol £86. Ferry £ 104. Meals £ 16..I recon it all came to about E 350. when you convert it.Milage 379 door to door. That is the cheapest that I have done it in a long time, as I did not overnight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,933 ✭✭✭✭unkel

mattroche wrote: »
    Collected one in Poole last Monday, Aer lingus to Heathrow, E65. Coach to Poole, £22., Petrol £86. Ferry £ 104. Meals £ 16..I recon it all came to about E 350. when you convert it.Milage 379 door to door. That is the cheapest that I have done it in a long time, as I did not overnight it.

Thanks for the breakdown. All those expenses look pretty cheap to me. Cheap flight, cheap ferry. How a company like N.V.D. can do it for €299 (plus VAT) (for a running car) is beyond me. Seems extremely good value for money.

Keep the comments / experiences coming folks!

Yes, it is very good value for E299. plus V.A.T. However if you have 11 cars on a transporter its workss out at E 3289.which is I think gives them a pretty decent margin if they can do it in a 48 hour turnaround with a full load. I am sure they have worked it out pretty well themselves. I assume that the V.A.T. is reclaimesd on the cost of the fuel, ect. Because of the volume, the like of John Flynn finds it hard to complete.

Because of the volume, the like of John Flynn finds it hard to complete.

I find it easy to compete again NVD. example - guy rings me up, he says he's got a car in the uk needs to come back. I say ok, no hassles - €425 for an example, then you get the "ohhhhhhhhhhhh NVD will do it for 299 plus vat" line.

Thats grand says I. Work away with NVD and tell them I said hi. But then I inform the caller that NVD will not do a non-runner, they've no interest in going to some locations, they're drivers are just drivers (some are mutants) and will treat your cherished classic like a pallet of coal, where as i do a personal, individual friendly service, door to door, on my truck, loaded by me, driven by me, unloaded by me..........all cars are treated like my own.........as I'm an enthuasiast too.......

.......I more than often get the work over NVD for the small price difference. ;):p

• Advertisement

Yes, it is very good value for E299. plus V.A.T. However if you have 11 cars on a transporter its workss out at E 3289.which is I think gives them a pretty decent margin if they can do it in a 48 hour turnaround with a full load.

sure, but the ferry for an atric will be €400 plus vat each way, thats €800, then another €800 on fuel, driver wages, truck insurance, goods in transit insurance, wear/tear/servicing/depreciation, truck lease repayments........it's no real gravy train ......it's all about getting on and off this island with as many yokes on the back as possible..........turnover is key for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That`s mental money, my Ferry was 150e, fuel 50e, burger king 10e, no tolls.

Was the car you collected a non runner like mattroache's

€150 euro return for a 4x4/van and transporter? fuel €50 to drive from shannon to london and back thats over 800 miles , you ate one burger king in 36hrs? No tolls ? Well if you drove from shannon to london you would get tolled either in ireland if you went via dublin or in wales if you went via rosslare.

Or if you did all that please tell us how I'd like to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 EdOMatic

I have used John Flynn and also NVD in the past as well as collecting cars myself.
    John was excellent for collecting a non runner, (and I would use him for collecting a high value car) picked it up in Birmingham and dropped it off in Co. Limk on time and looked after it.

NVD were fine for a cheapish runner and their cost made it worth buying, but they were poor at giving and sticking to times that it was to be picked up. Also where it was being delivered was down a smaller side road, the driver refused to take the transporter down it when he was close although they had the exact address so knew this. I was away overseas when the phone call came saying it will go back to the yard, so sorting it involved getting a few mates to collect it for me on the main road and driving it to my place.

If possible, the best fun is collecting yourself if it is a runner, as seeing the seller can give you lots of verbal history of the car, you may also get things they forgot to put in the car, such as paperwork, spares, old MOTs etc...

I have read all you comments with great interest. You are all right in your own way. I am sure Lightning can get his car over for E150 . Yes, fuel will be E50 is he is based near a ferry port, and collecting the car near a ferry port. If you want to settle for a Burger, so be it. Midlands is also correct, it does cost serious money to operate a 11 car transporter, and volume, and turnaround time are very important. I think I did talk to you about geting the car back, but you were unsure when you could do it. The reality is there is very few gravytrains about to-day, ( unless you are in poltics) everyone is just trying to make a few Euro. Edomatic has my idea, go over for a day or two, meet some friends, have a few pints ,go for a nice meal, relax and enjoy yourself. Life is too short to take it too serious. I find Travelodge in the outskirts of London good value, usually £25--£45. per night. Clean and basic. I have found that the Englishman is quite honourable in his dealings, and if they are into Classics, they are quite interesting to talk to. The man I bought this car from sold it to me with the Big Ends gone, but the engine seized, so it ment dearer transport, so he gave me back £400, which I think was more than fair. As Edomatic said, part of the fun is going to U.K. to get the car and the trip back. Again thank you all for your assistance.

I have read all you comments with great interest. You are all right in your own way. I am sure Lightning can get his car over for E150 . Yes, fuel will be E50 is he is based near a ferry port, and collecting the car near a ferry port. If you want to settle for a Burger, so be it. Midlands is also correct, it does cost serious money to operate a 11 car transporter, and volume, and turnaround time are very important. I think I did talk to you about geting the car back, but you were unsure when you could do it. The reality is there is very few gravytrains about to-day, ( unless you are in poltics) everyone is just trying to make a few Euro. Edomatic has my idea, go over for a day or two, meet some friends, have a few pints ,go for a nice meal, relax and enjoy yourself. Life is too short to take it too serious. I find Travelodge in the outskirts of London good value, usually £25--£45. per night. Clean and basic. I have found that the Englishman is quite honourable in his dealings, and if they are into Classics, they are quite interesting to talk to. The man I bought this car from sold it to me with the Big Ends gone, but the engine seized, so it ment dearer transport, so he gave me back £400, which I think was more than fair. As Edomatic said, part of the fun is going to U.K. to get the car and the trip back. Again thank you all for your assistance.

Totally agree.......good post Matt. and hey,if you ever wanna tag along in the truck over some week to pick up a car, gimme a shout! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Blue850

Met a green artic transporter today (NVD?) and among the modern UK reg stuff there was a Matra Murena and at a perilous angle over the cab an MO Morris Oxford,the one that looks like a big Minor.

Thanks for the offer Midlands M, and comments, having spent many years travelling with Slatterys Coaches, ( Remember Them) I stick with flying one way, at 71 I like my bit of comfort!!. By the way, John Flynn delivered the car, and no problems whatever. I did ask him for a price to pick one up in Kent, ( it is a runner, but No M.O.T. or Tax ) and he quoted me the same price, E500. which I think was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

I have used John Flynn in the past to collect a 'high value car' as other posters call it and would highly recommend him.
    I found him very easy to deal with and he done exactly what he said he would.

I would have no hesitation in using him in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hammerbeirne

Some great car bargins for sale in UK once you take into account the cost of getting them brought back here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

bbsrs wrote: »
    €700 sounds fair , if you had to collect it yourself a ferry for a van and trailer €400 ish return plus fuel say €150 , food ,tolls ect. €50 , €600 total ,paying an extra €100 euro and it's delivered to your door hassle free saving you two days of your time sounds good.

Absolute rip off.
    Get a company that carries 10 or 12 like NVD
    guarantee you their charge will be nowhere near this guy Flynns

Advertisement