Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baz and Lucy Show axed from 2fm.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

squonk wrote: »

I'm not a bit fan of Paddy & Ruth either so hopefully something more intelligent will be put on in their place at some stage.

That show is awful, it's not funny. Ruth has a good radio persona but Paddy constantly interrupts with his "zany" jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I liked the Baz & Lucy show...

In fact it was one of the only shows I would have listened to on 2FM.

They worked well together and their personalities came across as quite genuine, unlike a lot of presenters on radio.

As for Ruth and Paddy.... Jaysus! It's just so inane. Her voice is grating and he's not that funny. Can't listen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

Dave Fanning in the evening is still good, more of an eclectic mix from new artists etc, rather than just playlists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

I don't like to see anyone getting the chop but they were terrible radio presenters. Very bland & not at all funny. I'm sure there is plenty of talent out there in local radio etc I hope 2fm will scout around for a few new presenters now instead of replacing Baz & Lucy with somebody else that's already at the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Anyone see tonight's Evening Hearld. Lucy Kennedy reckons even Chris Evans would have struggled with her gig on 2fm. Well Liam Quigley never had a problem neither did Dave Redmond...Unbelievable tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

bbability wrote: »
    Anyone see tonight's Evening Hearld. Lucy Kennedy reckons even Chris Evans would have struggled with her gig on 2fm. Well Liam Quigley never had a problem neither did Dave Redmond...Unbelievable tripe.

Does she give any reasoning behind why she thinks that? Is the article online anywhere? Or could anyone provide a scan or something for those of us who don't have access to that paper?

Sounds like an utterly ridiculous statement to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I hate when presenters with connections go running to the media giving the sob story about being sacked. The local jock who relies on just about minimum wage to do their few hours a night doesn't have that kind of platform to keep their name out there afterwards.

Whereas Lucy, who was foolishly gifted the biggest job in the country with little to no experience after Gerry Ryan passed, does a piss-poor job and claims it was all a conspiracy against her. Pull the other one love, you were found out. Suck it up and move on like everyone has to. Drawing attention to yourself only shows Ireland how incompetent you truly were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

PRESENTER Lucy Kennedy has insisted that even top DJ Chris Evans would have found her axed weekend morning slot a tough gig.
    The chatty host's Saturday and Sunday show alongside pal Baz Ashmawy has been scrapped by RTE bosses.
    STRUGGLE
    The 34-year-old admitted that even BBC radio legend Chris Evans would have struggled to keep up the listenership if he were in her shoes.
    "At one stage I was pitching that we pre-recorded the first hour of the show from 7am til 8am, because we were literally dragging people out of bed. It was a really, really hard task," she told the Herald.
    "I think if Chris Evans had done it he wouldn't have had much more luck. I wonder how well we would've done Monday to Friday instead, on a better time," she said.
    Mum-of-two Lucy revealed that while she is extremely sad and disappointed to see the programme get the chop, she understands that "no-one is untouchable".
    The Sandycove native suspected that the programme's future might be in jeopardy as RTE scramble to scale back costs.

No Lucy, you and Baz just weren't very good radio presenters.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Cheers for the extract EchoO. :)

Wow... she really has a high opinion of herself doesn't she... Their figures would have been falling even faster if they'd been given the weekday slot. They had no chemistry, weren't funny, and didn't seem as if they knew how to present a breakfast show.

Now, I'm not an expert on how to present a successful breakfast show, but it seems to me that a key thing would be enthusiasm and upbeatedness... (yeah, that's a word, wanna fight about it? :P) Whereas they just droned on and on and on.

One morning when I was unfortunate enough to catch the show, she spent a solid 30 minutes doing the soap update, in a near monotone. Really great listening on a Saturday morning... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

They were still on this weekend.Does any one know when they are getting the chop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

End of June I believe. It wont matter now a lot of listeners are gone elsewhere. Pity really. I really think the person who put them there in the first place should also be questioned.

bbability wrote: »
    End of June I believe. It wont matter now a lot of listeners are gone elsewhere. Pity really. I really think the person who put them there in the first place should also be questioned.

Would that not be the 2FM P.D?,,,If so didnt they just hire a new one of them from Today FM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Hopefully they will send Hector back to the stables soon too. An awful eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

The most shocking thing for me about all of this is that those with any knowledge of radio said from day 1 that Baz and Lucy were unsuitable for a radio show . That the powers to be in 2fm thought they were is frightening. I suspect this is not a money issue.

Word to 2fm - you're a music station so please leave sport to radio 1 and consign the rest of the double acts to history . They don't generally work and theyre not funny. Ever consider that they're might be a correlation between awful shows and awful ratings - cant even recall last time I heard 2fm being played in a business anywhere in the country.

Re salaries, I'm not sure I'd agree that a lot of even 2fm salaries are as high as some people think. Privately at least some of their staff say very differently.

As for commercial stations, it's difficult to say what they pay but applications for licences on BAI website have previously given some indication. 4fm if I recall talked abot €40k but that was in the good old days.

As for who might replace the duo, given 2fm's history I wouldnt even hazard a guess -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Btr wrote: »
    The most shocking thing for me about all of this is that those with any knowledge of radio said from day 1 that Baz and Lucy were unsuitable for a radio show . That the powers to be in 2fm thought they were is frightening.

The same could be said of Hector. I think it's fairly safe to assume that the reaction of most people on hearing he was going to present 2fm's breakfast show was..."that will never work". Hector was that shouty, in your face bloke who irritated the hell out of a lot of people. 2fm needed someone with an element of broad appeal. Hector was never going to be that person.

Whoever decided that Hector, Tubridy, Baz and Lucy were the answer to 2fm's problem's - really should no longer be in the position to make those decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭prunudo

So first show post Baz & Lucy. I hear Louise McSharry is presenting 'The weekend breakfast show with Lousie McSharry'. Does anybody will she be the permanent replacement or is she just filling in till 2fm figure out what direction they are taking.
    Personally I'm not mad about her but she does seem to be playing more music and talking less rubbish than the other two.

jvan wrote: »
    So first show post Baz & Lucy. I hear Louise McSharry is presenting 'The weekend breakfast show with Lousie McSharry'. Does anybody will she be the permanent replacement or is she just filling in till 2fm figure out what direction they are taking.
    Personally I'm not mad about her but she does seem to be playing more music and talking less rubbish than the other two.

Im sorry...WHO?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Im sorry...WHO?

ex-iRadio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭prunudo

Im sorry...WHO?
    MYOB wrote: »
    ex-iRadio.

She also covers for Damian Farrelly on his 6-7am weekday show.

Tuned in and then tuned out again quickly.

Radio voice + banal chat + asking for inane texts in = bad bland radio.

I preferred Baz &/or Lucy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Bring in some new young talent and give them a shot

zoobizoo wrote: »

Jesus that Louise one MUST be bad!Ha ha!

Radio voice + banal chat + asking for inane texts in = 2FM

FYP. ;)

In fairness to her, she's probably doing the job she has been asked to do.

She's just not someone who I would actively tune into.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Bring in some new young talent and give them a shot

Haha, what are they doing here?? They've giving an unknown, former iRadio presenter the gig!

I really don't get the Internet sometimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What did DJs talk about before they had a screen of texts to read out??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭GSF

padd b1975 wrote: »
    What did DJs talk about before they had a screen of texts to read out??
    things they read in the papers; letters that listeners wrote to them; sleeve notes of records

Advertisement