Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call it!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

From RTE updates:

1025 Longford-Westmeath TD James Bannon has said the absence of under 35 voters from the polling centres yesterday is going to play a significant part in the overall result.

Deputy Bannon said Fine Gael party workers had witnessed little or no young people voting in this referendum in this constituency.

That's because they have all emigrated/are emigrating in the near future!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Deputy Bannon said Fine Gael party workers had witnessed little or no young people voting in this referendum in this constituency.

That's because they are busy whining about the treaty online and not actually going out to vote :(

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jmc1243

Yes 67% No 33%, hope its no though not that i understand it very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

So only little young people voting? What, like midgets under the age of 35?

That's because they are busy whining about the treaty online and not actually going out to vote

That's an unfair assessment. I'm under 30, and voted, as did many others I know. However, there are also many others in the 20 - 35 age bracket I know who have had to emigrate and therefore were not here to vote. The emigration of young people has had an impact on the unemployment figures (latest figures show under 25 unemployment fell again by 10%, a trend which has continued since July 2010). I do not see why the same would not be applicable to voting figures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

That's an unfair assessment. I'm under 30, and voted, as did many others I know. However, there are also many others in the 20 - 35 age bracket I know who have had to emigrate and therefore were not here to vote. The emigration of young people has had an impact on the unemployment figures (latest figures show under 25 unemployment fell again by 10%, a trend which has continued since July 2010). I do not see why the same would not be applicable to voting figures.

I voted and i'm under 35, maybe I should tar everyone but there are quite a few out there who just never bothered voting (as the results show) and yet there's quite a lot of activity on the politics forum, AH, etc from young people but where were these people on polling day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

That's because they have all emigrated/are emigrating in the near future!! :(

Why would the fact that you are emigrating in the near future preclude you from voting? Unless you were an incredibly scrupulous citizen and felt that you shouldn't have input into a decision when you wouldn't be there for the consequences of that decision?

Why would the fact that you are emigrating in the near future preclude you from voting? Unless you were an incredibly scrupulous citizen and felt that you shouldn't have input into a decision when you wouldn't be there for the consequences of that decision?

Well I am making "the lifestyle choice" of leaving the country in a few months, and I can honestly say that I had to think long and hard about voting and the effect this had on my choice. If I'm not going to be here to face the consequences of my vote then what right do I have to vote. Then I considered the fact that I still have family living here and hope to one day return to this country and so decided to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

I voted and i'm under 35, maybe I should tar everyone but there are quite a few out there who just never bothered voting (as the results show) and yet there's quite a lot of activity on the politics forum, AH, etc from young people but where were these people on polling day?

In the case of many of SF's online "vote No" advocates, I'd say in Northern Ireland at a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes 60.3% (955,091)
    No 39.7% (629,088)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

So basically a 60/40 victory with a turnout of 50%

All very nice and stark figures to digest.

If only there were surveys attached to these ballots, would prove rather interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well Joe, the sentiment for both would be about the same - "No but not cos I'm being difficult" and "yes but with no enthusiasm".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

There should probably be a liveline poll to act as some sort of definitive answer.

Advertisement