Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSc/Diploma in Information Systems

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 doc19827

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    I agree with the above post. Get an exemption but don't skip the year. 2nd year is tough, you'll need to ease yourself into study mode again and get your mind set right.

I'm doing second year at the moment, a good few of the class skipped first year and some are really struggling.

If you apply yourself to the assignments in first year you can pretty much get through each module before the end of year exams.

John McQuillams class is excellent. He really is one of the best lecturers out there. Mark Lynch who teaches VB is also an excellent lecturer but you need to let him know if you're struggling.

Doc19827, the majority of the people on the course are early 30s+ and are working full time. Some have IT experience but a good deal have little or no experience in that industry however most want to get into IT.

As I said before, it won't necessarily get you a job but it could get you in the door for an interview for a grad position or help you move in your current company into the IT dept which will give you a start.

The course is not very technical so don't expect to be considered by the likes of Google for a dev role, you won't have enough dev knowledge but it might be good for business analyst role or project management role. After 2nd year you come out with the basic PMI qualification I believe but I may be wrong in that.

Thanks for the feedback
    Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 31 doc19827

UDP wrote: »
    It depends what you are looking to get out of it i.e. if you want to become a programmer or a techy of some sort then do the DIT course. The trinity course is more business focused than the DIT course so is good for business analysis in IT, project management and the less tech heavy side of things. My year has only about 50% working in IT and the non-IT 50% come from all sorts of backgrounds including insurance. Don't skip the first year though, I have seen people do that and struggle. You can take a skip on the business subjects in the first year if you have a qualification in it already. Get an exemption on the "Organisation and management" class but go to it all the same as it is worth it with the bonus of not having an exam. It is probably the best subject in first year if the lecturer is still John Quilliam. Get out of Business Methods if you can though as it is a complete waste of time.

thanks for your feedback :)

Advertisement