Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed - Re-Varnishing Angler's Fancy

Options
  • 31-05-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi
    I have an Angler's Fancy lake boat which I'm in the process of re-varnishing and as this is the first time I have done this could anyone give me any advice as to the best way to do this?
    The timber is Iroko and I'm wondering if having sanded it down I need to treat it with something before I re-varnish and what is the best type of varnish to use and where to get it.
    Also, what is the best product to use on the keel timber on the boat. I have included pictures of the boat and keel for reference.

Cheers
    IMAG0065.jpg
    Before Sanding

IMAG0064.jpg
    After Sanding

IMAG0071.jpg
    Keel

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Shayh you can just varnish on to the bear wood wipe it down with a damp cloth and allow to dry then add say about 3-4 coats with a light sanding with 250 grit paper between each coat if you roll and tip or brush and tip you can get a very smooth finish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-SGcSlNmoo&feature=related \I like to use international schooner http://www.marineparts.ie/paint-and-maintenance/paints/varnish/international-schooner-varnish-750ml.html it has a nice warm glow and you should be able to get it in any marine shop.
    Iroko turns yellow when you sand it but if you leave it in the sun for a few days it will go back to a dark brown if you want that colour.
    On my boats I encapsulate all the wood in 3 coats of epoxy resin before I varnish to seal the wood a bit better a lot of people don't like the idea of this but it works for me :D I would also do the keel this way as it will also protect it from knocks and scratches and help keep the wood watertight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ShayH

Hi Fergal,
    Thanks for all the advice. It sounds like a hell of a lot of work but I expected it might be. I don't fancy the prospect of sanding between each coat as it took me several hours to sand off the old varnish but I know it has to be done to provide a key for the next coat. Sanding the main areas of timber is ok but getting the awkward little areas around the seats etc is difficult. I had considered paint instead of varnish but presume varnish is the better option. I'm ashamed to say I bought this boat new six years ago and I've only used it 5 times since. I'm very nervous about pulling the trailer as I've no previous experience. The boat was outside the house on the trailer in all kinds of weather uncovered for over 2 years so I suppose that's why the varnish deteriorated. I put a tarpaulin on the boat at Christmas 2008 and only took it off for the first time last week! Guess I'll have to get cracking or I might miss this summer as well.

Many Thanks,
    Shay.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

On that boat it won't be much work :D it's only a very light sanding between coats, I have done two coats of epoxy and 3 of varnish on this so far and I might do another one or two.:D You will get used to towing the more you do it and it will become second nature to you after a while "bring her for a little spin early each sunday morning you will be fine"

2012-05-05121418.jpg

On the other boats deck I did two coats of epoxy and about 8 coats of varnish :eek: I love sanding "not"

004.jpg

Thanks Fergal.
    The Sunday morning practice was what I had in mind. There's an Industrial estate near here where all the learner drivers practice their driving. Will try some reversing there. I can go forwards with it but not backwards! As for your boat I won't be aspiring to that standard of finish but I'll do my best.
    Shay.

Here is a simple tip for you to try.

• Advertisement

brilliant

Advertisement