Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield Premium appears

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Spear wrote: »
    http://kotaku.com/5914339/leak-reveals-battlefield-premium-eas-answer-to-call-of-duty-elite

For €50 you get premium status, 5 expansion packs (though that includes BtK), stats reset options, and pointless shiny things.

Makes me sick that more and more companies are going to do this.It is productive business though because they know that people will fall for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Chavways wrote: »
    Makes me sick that more and more companies are going to do this.It is productive business though because they know that people will fall for it.

Fall for what?

Worst case scenario for me is where I cannot afford the once off €50 charge for the premium service. Then I will have to spend €14.99 four times over the next eight months.

That amounts to €3.75 a map for me as I have the Back to Karkand expansion.

At this moment in time I have played 1085 games of Battlefield 3 with a grand total of 281H 39M played on thirteen maps. The game cost me €30 on release iirc so that equates to 2.7cent a round or 10.6cent an hour.

I have played 950 rounds of Conquest and now I am getting into Squad Deathmatch with a few friends and I can see myself playing a lot more of this gamemode as time goes on so I have still loads to do when it comes to Battlefield 3.

The price of €3.75 a map is now looking quite appealing.

I do admit that the sixteen new maps could be rubbish then again they could be amazing. The fixes for weapon issues and game crashes may expose further issues and crashes or the game could get more polished. I don't have crashes and I don't care what gun\load-out\vehicle people use. I pre-ordered Battlefield 3 before the Beta and I am very happy with the game, I liked the single player and I have thoroughly enjoyed the multiplayer. Origin hasn't stolen my passwords or logged my PC actions to the EA Skynet operations, it hasn't spewed adverts into my face and I cannot remember the last time I had issues logging in. The Battlelog is a lovely server browser with nice features and I hope more games move their game server browsers to a web based client (I still have nightmares of Quake 4's in game server browser - DAE remember The All-Seeing Eye or HLSW)

So next week I can pay €49.99 and have four map packs digitally downloaded over the course of the next 8-9 months giving me sixteen new maps. (€3.13 a map)

So €49.99...
    I could treat the misses to a 3D film with drinks and popcorn (storm cinema's are expensive)
    I could pre-order Call of Duty: Small Ops 2 (hahahaha, I'm sorry I bought Small Ops 1)
    I could buy Max Payne 3 (reviewers claiming 8-12 campaign)
    I could buy Diablo 3 (will probably pick it up in a years time or before an expansion)

... or I could have another 281 Hours of Battlefield 3 on new maps.. simples

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

I'm not sure if this is a ridiculous question or not, but if you already have BtK either through the preordering system or as a standalone purchase, will you get a discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://kotaku.com/5914339/leak-reveals-battlefield-premium-eas-answer-to-call-of-duty-elite
    special in-game knife
    Hrm... once it's not a f**king bayonet that can kill at 5 feet I won't mind ^.^

/edit
    It's an "ACE-90" knife according to the leaflet in the link. Hrm. I wonder will this be a throwable instagib knife ala COD:BO ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Wasn't sure about this but new knife you say?

2yod43t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Wasn't sure about this but new knife you say?

2yod43t.jpg

Has me intrigued too ^_^

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's not entirely useless as a deal. BtK is €14.99, so assuming the other expansion packs are at the same pricepoint, then it's €50 versus €74.95 for the 5 packs, or €59.96 for the 4 still to come. So it seems to make up for this discount there would have to be a major revenue source from people committing to Premium who wouldn't otherwise have gone for all 4 expansion packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

chickenboy wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is a ridiculous question or not, but if you already have BtK either through the preordering system or as a standalone purchase, will you get a discount?

I doubt it because it was a free download available with the Limited Edition which was produced (seemingly) in greater numbers than the standard edition and sold at the same price.

In fact, I wasn't even aware there was a standard edition until about two months after release. Up until then all I'd seen in shops was the Limited Edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

just outta curiousity (although i think it should be ok)

if you buy this new release you will be able to log in with your battlenet id?

my stats aren't great but they are mine (which annoys me about this reset your stats crap) and i want to keep them!

If they have the price for 50 quid too it'll probably be on offer for a lot less on certain sites too so could be well worth looking into if individual maps are priced the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

This doesn't seem like such a bad deal afterall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

When you put it in terms of price per map or price per hour played then its obviously going to look very attractive.

But paying €50 more for maps is still €50.. I mean.. I perfectly enjoy the game and the amount of maps that are on it right now tbh!! Getting the BtK pack was a huge bonus for me!

Also, its not unwise to wait and see which map pack gets the best reviews and just DL the best one..

While an additional 16 maps is fantastic, its also not a necessity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I know quite a few people, myself included, that think the game needs another expansion as soon as possible. Getting fed up with the same ol' maps to be honest. And I know I'll probably end up buying all the expansion packs anyway - the next two especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

hypermuse wrote: »
    When you put it in terms of price per map or price per hour played then its obviously going to look very attractive.

But paying €50 more for maps is still €50.. I mean.. I perfectly enjoy the game and the amount of maps that are on it right now tbh!! Getting the BtK pack was a huge bonus for me!

Also, its not unwise to wait and see which map pack gets the best reviews and just DL the best one..

Good point, but you'll need to play the maps for yourself to see which ones you like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Paparazzo wrote: »
    you'll need to play the maps for yourself to see which ones you like yourself.

Too true that..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

hypermuse wrote: »

It's also not all at once, that same want for something new will kick in after playing this next set of maps.

Don't see anything wrong with getting stuff like this it's really not like a subscription at all, there's no features that will stop working after a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Use 3v so easier for me to get it in one go.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The trailer has leaked early. I note that the new vehicles includes a Hercules, though it's not clear if it's the AC-130 gunship form. Also in there was the Styker MGS.

Spear wrote: »

The trailer has leaked early. I note that the new vehicles includes a Hercules, though it's not clear if it's the AC-130 gunship form. Also in there was the Styker MGS.

And it was only a few weeks ago that i made a thread about the AC-130 in the game.It'd be the greatest addition ever.I'd buy the expansion pack just for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I don't think it'll be a C-130. Those aren't armed at all and it'd be pretty pointless (cool but pointless) just to have it as a parachute spawn point as the Spawn Beacon does that already.

An AC-130 would be very interesting. It'll need one hell of a counter to stop it being OP though.

Just rewatching the trailer there.Some of the other new vehicles seem like AA missile trucks.I'm guessing that they'll be the counter to the AC-130.

• Advertisement

Chavways wrote: »
    Just rewatching the trailer there.Some of the other new vehicles seem like AA missile trucks.I'm guessing that they'll be the counter to the AC-130.

There was a Russian vehicle in 1942 that fired a load of rockets, it was in the expansion and spawn near the top of a hill if memory serves on one map and i'm not sure if it was any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Another BS premium service.... just mosey on over to the COD forum and have a look at all the disillusioned "elite" purchasers who went for the same scheme for the rival game and were burned.

This rule goes for ANY purchase and not just video games.....DO NOT PAY IN FULL FOR SOMETHING YOU HAVE NOT EVEN TESTED OR SEEN. If your stupid enough to do that then there is no helping ya. Its simple common sense to not hand over cash for something you ASSUME you will be happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

hightower1 wrote: »
    DO NOT PAY IN FULL FOR SOMETHING YOU HAVE NOT EVEN TESTED OR SEEN.

You could apply this logic to the actual game itself though.

I bought Battlefield 3 from reviews or the thoughts of others who have played it yet I never actually played the game myself, yet I still handed over €40 for it.

If the premium service is well supported and offers a good bit of content, that is of high quality then I wouldn't mind paying for it. (But only after I hear of other peoples opinions on it first! :p )

You could apply this logic to the actual game itself though.

I bought Battlefield 3 from reviews or the thoughts of others who have played it yet I never actually played the game myself, yet I still handed over €40 for it.

If the premium service is well supported and offers a good bit of content, that is of high quality then I wouldn't mind paying for it. (But only after I hear of other peoples opinions on it first! :p )

The maps are also out 2 (ps3) or 3 (PC & 360) weeks before the rest of the community get a chance to buy them, if they suck that 2 weeks for the community to find out and decide not to buy them. There's an incentive for EA to put work into the games and it's not like these were rushed right after launch, if been months.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

There's a huge difference between COD Elite and BF Premium though.
    COD Elite is just a tacky addon with a few new maps and my god but MW3 was fúcking woeful..I just can't bring myself to play it at all it's that bad.
    Hell even the new Black Ops 2 is still using the same old engine from the previous 4 games...modified engine my ass..it's still old and the graphics look appalling alongside BF3.
    I used to like COD as frankly it's a completely different game from Battlefield despite what the noobs think and I enjoyed playing both.
    At least with Premium though you're getting extra guns/vehicles and maps and it's worth the price in my opinion...still sucks having to pay for karkand twice...pity you couldn't gift the code to some cheap bastard who hadn't got it yet...

EA still suck balls though,,,money grabbing vultures that they are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Can someone clear this up for me. Is it a thing you have to pay for to avail of getting it earlier on PS3 or will you have to pay for it regardless? Thanks

tiny timy wrote: »
    Can someone clear this up for me. Is it a thing you have to pay for to avail of getting it earlier on PS3 or will you have to pay for it regardless? Thanks

PS3 has an exclusive of one week early access to all expansions. With premium there's a further two weeks for all platforms. So in the case of Close Quarters, Premium PS3 players got access yesterday, PC and XBox360 premium players get access next week.

The expansions all cost, and the premium pack covers the cost of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I am a bit annoyed that B2K is in there , considered part of the package , but tbh I am going to be playing BF3 for a while anyways ( nothing else around that appeals to me ) so I would be buying the extra map packs anyway . They are cheaper getting them all in one go . I am under no illusion that EA are doing me a favour though but this is the way gaming is gone .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

just bought it.

*getting ready to be called an idiot. :(

anyway, on PC with premuim we can play close quarters from 12th?

ands whats with that "premium" option on servers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Is there any advantage to buying this before the first DLC pack is released (cheaper/unlocks)?

Advertisement