Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aztec alarm

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭altor

That is the value I am getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

If you are getting zero ohms then something is wrong.
    Every conductor has resistance, if it has no resistance then there no volt drop and no I Squared R losses. If I had a conductor with no losses then I would be a millionaire.
    200 ohm range is too big imo, auto range is more accurate

Jnealon wrote: »
    If you are getting zero ohms then something is wrong.
    Every conductor has resistance, if it has no resistance then there no volt drop and no I Squared R losses. If I had a conductor with no losses then I would be a millionaire.
    200 ohm range is too big imo, auto range is more accurate

Will try that next time.
    It always identifies a faulty device though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

There's nothing wrong with the meter, it just doesn't show the decimal places so all you see is zero.
    My guess is you have one of these
    207185.jpg

I use this one
    207186.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Even without decimal points most runs with a few devices is going to be over 1 ohm.
    +1 on auto ranging as well.

• Advertisement

Jnealon wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with the meter, it just doesn't show the decimal places so all you see is zero.
    My guess is you have one of these
    207185.jpg

I use this one
    207186.jpg

That is the issue so :D
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

altor wrote: »
    Disconnected from the panel, yes.

Regardless off what type of meter you have or whether it shows decimals or not, If you are metering it out from the panel you must get a reading of at least several ohms. Very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Calm :) ...... How would you test multiple sensors that are none EOL directly from the panel ???? I've seen it been done but was never phisicaly shown :( I would open each sensor and test that way

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'm calm.......and confused:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    You take the pair out of the panel and connect it to your meter and measure the resistance . Its generally a few ohms depending on the length of the run & the number of devices etc. You tap each sensor & open/ close each contact . The resistance should return to its initial value each time. So if, for example , the meter shows 6.5 ohms to start off with, and you tap a sensor a few times & it jumps up to 20 ohms and stays there. That sensor would be faulty . You would then disconnect that , close it off & check the rest. Remember there may be more than one faulty device on a zone that giving false alarms.
    Also checking the entire zone this way will also show up poor connections, so its more reliable than just checking individual devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Would poor connections result in resistance?

• Advertisement

A bad or loose connection would cause higher resistance , yes.

Regardless off what type of meter you have or whether it shows decimals or not, If you are metering it out from the panel you must get a reading of at least several ohms. Very strange.

If I was Fred I would tell you but I am not.

Better tell these their calc is wrong. :rolleyes:

I am sure you have sent them an e-mail so.

And try convince them of the impossible ? There are people here much better at that than me.:rolleyes:

Lucky it doesn't stop my good work.

No one is suggesting otherwise. It's just your in the business so long I imagined you would know what resistance to expect on different zone runs. It's the basic principle of how alarms work after all.

I would hope not :)

Still , when you discover the secret of getting zero resistance make sure you share your millions with us all. :D

That is no problem :D
    I am sure jnealon will be looking for his share, it is the lease I can do ;)

• Advertisement

I'll hold off the deposit in Dubai for now, it'll be a while ...

KoolKid wrote: »
    I'll hold off the deposit in Dubai for now, it'll be a while ...

All good things come to those who wait ;)

So it's not possible now then?

The deposit for Dubai, have that. Just need the spending money..

Sure just bring a few scientists and physicists to the next call you get for a faulty sensor and your sorted. You will still get zero resistence there won't you?

I usually just go myself and get it sorted.

No witness to the impossible? No surprise there.

There are plenty of people on here that would vouch for my good work ;)

No ones saying anything about your work. :confused:
    We are just all confused as to why you don't understand about resistence on a cable..
    Zero resistence is not possible on any length of cable on an alarm zone.
    I think you may need to do your research here.

• Advertisement

Thats good.

Advertisement