Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bow Wave

Options
  • 29-05-2012 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,

Im a newbie to this section.
    Brother bought a boat, 19ft, 25hp engine.
    Doesnt have auto tilt/trim.
    Boat gives a huge bow wave.
    1 - Is this because the tilt/trim isnt right?
    2 - Is it expensive to have this auto adjust installed so as it can be adjusted from the wheel?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

what kind of boat? is it at full trottle or is the bow sitting high at idle aswell

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Manyquestions even if the engine has not got power tilt/trim you might be able to adjust the angle of the engine have a look to see if there are notches on the outboard with a bar going through them you should be able to lift this bar up and and tilt the engine in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,183 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

fergal.b wrote: »
    Hi Manyquestions even if the engine has not got power tilt/trim you might be able to adjust the angle of the engine have a look to see if there are notches on the outboard with a bar going through them you should be able to lift this bar up and and tilt the engine in and out.

Yes this should be on a 25hp engine, I've seen it on engines with 6hp.

It could also be worth looking at getting a long shaft outboard, one on it might be a short shaft and not getting enough drive in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

If it doesnt have power tilt and trim it would be very expensive to have it fitted and to have controls wired to the throttle.

I looked into it before but the cost was prohibitive.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/engine-spares/cmc-power-trim-and-tilt-system-after-market-pt35-BHM910

There should be, as said above, a trim bar at the engine mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ManyQuestions

Thanks for the replies.
    So am I right in thinking the bow wave shouldnt be like shes ploughing through the water, and that the adjustment of the tilt/trim will resolve it?
    It does have the notches to adjust, fergal.b, you're right.
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

sounds to me that it's not planing out but ploughing through the water. What type of boat is it and what weight is in it. Any speed indication would be helpful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

could it be a displacement hull

Advertisement