Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trucks on motorway

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

pred racer wrote: »
    I have no problem with it either, just stop doing it when i'm only 200m behind you in the outside lane doing 60km/hr more than that:rolleyes:

Well yes, obviously.
    Actually deadly for that in Germany, did 800 km on the Autobahn there last week and on more than one occasion a truck just started to pull out right on top of me on a three lane motorway with me in the middle lane passing him.
    They didn't want to stick on the indicator and wait for me to move, easier for them to stick on the indicator and give people a good incentive to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Well yes, obviously.
    Actually deadly for that in Germany, did 800 km on the Autobahn there last week and on more than one occasion a truck just started to pull out right on top of me on a three lane motorway with me in the middle lane passing him.
    They didn't want to stick on the indicator and wait for me to move, easier for them to stick on the indicator and give people a good incentive to move.

Yeah, nothing like having an artic under your arse for automatic right of way:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

blackwhite wrote: »
    Just thinking, this change means that buses are now caught by the legislation again and under the law are no longer allowed enter the outermost lane in ordinary circumstances.
    But as I said, it really doesn't make any difference because it's not like it'll ever be enforced.

Bus limit on a motorway is 100 not 90, so they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

I don't know the UK rules but driving from Dublin to Belfast brings its truck related moments.

I don't mind trucks overtaking very slow traffic as long as its done in good time.

What really gets me are the times where a truck overtakes another at snails pace,taking kilometers to complete the move.
    I've nearly been taken off the M1 when a truck driver pulled out without looking (on a phone too). Many other times when the truck darts out leaving me to brake hard.

Those are what really piss me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

MYOB wrote: »
    Bus limit on a motorway is 100 not 90, so they're not.

Cheers!

Thought they had a 90 limit for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

blackwhite wrote: »
    Cheers!

Thought they had a 90 limit for some reason

You'd be hard-pressed to find the 100 limit written anywhere other than the statute books - the RSA website and the ROTR (which has no legal validity remember) still claim 80!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You'd be hard-pressed to find the 100 limit written anywhere other than the statute books - the RSA website and the ROTR (which has no legal validity remember) still claim 80!

RSA and ROTR aren't worth a **** at this stage :D

I try to rely on Irish Statute Book, but it's pretty hard to find anything without knowing which Act to begin with!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Most truck drivers I encounter on my journeys are usually better behaved than others on the roads imo.

Even when you come up behind one that's overtaking they'll usually pull back in as soon as or if you're on a nice wide N road they'll move into the hard shoulder for you to get by (the exception being Glanbia drivers who will happily hold up a line of traffic in my experience)

It's people in cars doing exactly 120 (indicated, which is of course less in real terms) in the overtaking lane with nothing else around until you try to move out past them and them refusing to move, or the dawdlers trying to save a fiver on their fuel bills doing 80 everywhere, or who speed up when you start to overtake them... Plus of course the idiots trying to get into your back seat (moreso women in hatchbacks these days I've found), that annoy me on a motorway

EDIT: Oh, and almost forgot the tailgaters who will sit on your bumper while you overtake someone and then not move on when you move back in but sit just behind you in the outside lane so that when you come up on another dawdler you have to either slow down and move in behind the dope in the outside lane, or sink the boot to get ahead of him and pull out then :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Grandad99

Buses are now, as their limit is now 100km/h on motorways. At the time of writing there, they were not.

I am very interested in this topic.

Can you point me to any link or document where it clearly states coaches are allowed use the outside lane on motorways, Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Grandad99 wrote: »
    I am very interested in this topic.

Can you point me to any link or document where it clearly states coaches are allowed use the outside lane on motorways, Tks

Both from the 1st page of the thread.. Does this mean that now trucks can do 90km/h they are allowing into the rightmost lane of a motorway?

Question them because they're right? :confused:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a33

"( d ) drive a vehicle of a class for which an ordinary speed limit of not more than 50 mph is prescribed by regulations under section 44 (1) of the Road Traffic Act, 1961 in the traffic lane nearest the right hand edge of a carriageway having more than one traffic lane"
    but43r wrote: »
    You missed a bit there:

"( d ) drive a vehicle of a class for which an ordinary speed limit of not more than 50 mph is prescribed by regulations under section 44 (1) of the Road Traffic Act, 1961 in the traffic lane nearest the right hand edge of a carriageway having more than one traffic lane except where it is necessary to proceed in that lane due to an obstruction or because another lane or lanes is or are for the time being closed to traffic."

Surely a vehicle that is doing less than 50mph in the left lane would be an obstruction?

On another note - why are the laws still in MPH? Ireland switched to KM/H years ago...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

rpm and speed don't quite correlate like that...

Lol, what a gem...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Grandad99

Del2005 wrote: »
    Both from the 1st page of the thread.. Does this mean that now trucks can do 90km/h they are allowing into the rightmost lane of a motorway?

Thanks I had not copped that.

From reading through the links and posts, my understanding is trucks as they only have a speed limit of 90 Kmh cannot use the outside lane, but coaches whose limit of 100Kmh is greater than 90 Kmh, are allowed in the outside lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

EazyD wrote: »
    Lol, what a gem...

I also laughed at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Grandad99 wrote: »
    Thanks I had not copped that.

From reading through the links and posts, my understanding is trucks as they only have a speed limit of 90 Kmh cannot use the outside lane, but coaches whose limit of 100Kmh is greater than 90 Kmh, are allowed in the outside lane.

And you are right about that.
    By default overtaking on motorway is allowed.

There is a regulation prohibiting some vehicles to use the right hand lane (effectively prohibiting them from overtaking on 2 lane motorways), but this doesn't apply to buses.

Here's the appropriate road traffic act
    Rules for Traffic on Motorways
    33. (1) A driver on a motorway shall not—

( a ) drive a vehicle against the direction of traffic flow;
    ( b ) drive a vehicle on or across any part of the motorway which is not a carriageway;
    ( c ) stop or park a vehicle on any part of a motorway;
    ( d ) drive a vehicle of a class for which an ordinary speed limit of not more than 50 mph is prescribed by regulations under section 44 (1) of the Road Traffic Act, 1961 in the traffic lane nearest the right hand edge of a carriageway having more than one traffic lane except where it is necessary to proceed in that lane due to an obstruction or because another lane or lanes is or are for the time being closed to traffic.

That's an old act from 1997, and part in blue has been amended since.

Here's the latest amendment
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0074.html
    “(d) drive a vehicle of a class for which an ordinary speed limit of not more than 90 kilometres per hour is prescribed by regulations under sections 3 and 4 of the Road Traffic Act, 2004 in the traffic lane nearest the right hand edge of a carriageway having more than one traffic lane except where it is necessary to proceed in that lane due to an obstruction or because another lane or lanes is or are for the time being closed to traffic.”

In short this prohibits any vehicle which has prescribed speed limit of not more than 90km/h to use most right lane on motorway.

Buses don't fall into that category, as their prescribed speed limit on motorways is 100km/h.
    Therefore there is nothing prohibiting them to use most right lane so they can overtake on motorways.

Advertisement