Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Commercial Tax Issue

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I converted mine last week and these were the steps I took on the guidance of a lady in the motor tax office:

1. Remove back seats + belts.

2. Get the vehicle weighed, and a weigh docket.

3. Get the DOE test done.

Go to the motor tax office with:

a) DOE cert.

b) Weighbridge docket.

c) Application form for road tax including the change.

d) The fee for the tax (€339 in my case for 12 months).

e) A form from, and signed by the Gardaí stating that the vehicle is for work use only. (Goods only Declaration form).

She even wished me well.....:)

No mention of the new inspection!!!

Try it without having the new inspection done and see how you get on. It would be interesting indeed if you succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

No mention of the new inspection!!!

Try it without having the new inspection done and see how you get on. It would be interesting indeed if you succeed.

Done and done, tax disk up and NCT disk taken down.

Done and done, tax disk up and NCT disk taken down.

This is unbelievable. WHF did I (and others) have to have a vehicle inspection by an SQI !!!

Did you not have to send anything to revenue in Rosslare?

This is unbelievable. WHF did I (and others) have to have a vehicle inspection by an SQI !!!
    Absolutely no idea, the first I heard of it was in this thread.

I came over here to ask what cubic capacity did I have to leave behind the seats to qualify as a commercial as I would like to put back in the second row of seats again if possible. Then I got side tracked.

No, I did not have to send anything to the Revenue in Rosslare.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I came over here to ask what cubic capacity did I have to leave behind the seats to qualify as a commercial as I would like to put back in the second row of seats again if possible. Then I got side tracked.

From memory of posts here about the loadspace issue - I think it has to be 45% of the total floor space.

Odd that you didn't have to get the additional test done. Lucky you.

• Advertisement

slowburner wrote: »
    From memory of posts here about the loadspace issue - I think it has to be 45% of the total floor space.

Odd that you didn't have to get the additional test done. Lucky you.
    Thanks for that....I understood that it was based on a volume rather than a floor area, but I'm just fact finding right now.

Yes, I'm counting my lucky stars now having read some of the posts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

Thanks for that....I understood that it was based on a volume rather than a floor area, but I'm just fact finding right now.

Yes, I'm counting my lucky stars now having read some of the posts here.

It the load space does work out you should check out the requirements needed to tax a commercial with an extra row of seats, you would be falling into the crew cab area and there are plenty of stories floating around about needing to have two or more employees to be able to get own goods rate tax on a crew cab. I dont know the requirements myself so cant shed any llight on it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

There still seems to be no consistency between different counties, fair play for getting it done without too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CurlyEng

I am interested in doing something similar and wondered if there is a sense that e.g. doing a mid sized estate car would be harder to get through this process than a traditional car/van model.
    I converted mine last week and these were the steps I took on the guidance of a lady in the motor tax office:

1. Remove back seats + belts.

2. Get the vehicle weighed, and a weigh docket.

3. Get the DOE test done.

Go to the motor tax office with:

a) DOE cert.

b) Weighbridge docket.

c) Application form for road tax including the change.

d) The fee for the tax (€339 in my case for 12 months).

e) A form from, and signed by the Gardaí stating that the vehicle is for work use only. (Goods only Declaration form).

She even wished me well.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tomskimc

Hi Uncle Tom, just in the process of converting myself and wanted to check if you had welded up bolt holes for seats and belts?

Cheers,
    Tom

• Advertisement

tomskimc wrote: »
    Hi Uncle Tom, just in the process of converting myself and wanted to check if you had welded up bolt holes for seats and belts?

Cheers,
    Tom
    No, I didn't have to weld up the holes, but I have heard stories sibce of people who were asked to.

CurlyEng wrote: »
    I am interested in doing something similar and wondered if there is a sense that e.g. doing a mid sized estate car would be harder to get through this process than a traditional car/van model.

I'm just seeing this question now, sorry.

I converted a Land Cruiser.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

tomskimc wrote: »

Cheers,
    Tom
    I hear that in some places they insist on welding the holes.
    The holes in my conversion were filled with metal putty (I can't think of the name of the stuff) and that was accepted in both tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Just want to verify lads, pretty sure i read it here but wanted to be 100%,

Is a drop down tailgate classed as floor area when aiming for crew-cab status i.e when open, like in a 2nd gen Surf or Disco 3/4?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭greendragon3

hi lads ,, correct me if im in the wrong thread here but me and the ould fella were looking at an 08 ford transit crew cab / double cab / 6 seater pick up the other day in the north ,

i was just wondering if she will fall into a different bracket now seeing as our robbing bastard of a government is clamping down on everything nowadays ,

it should be €250 to clear it but i cant get a definitive answer anywhere ,

would there be a loading because of the second row of seats ???

i also noticed the dealers in the north are no longer encouraging the use of vat numbers whilst purchasing over the border , it will be full price plus 20% VAT ,

one time if you had a vat number you didn't get charged the vat but its all tightening up now !!!!!

thanks lads and sorry for hijacking the thread .

You've two issues here.

VRT will depend on the GVW of the Transit, if it's 3500t or more it will be €200 or whatever the current figure is. Under that I think you'll be looking at 13.3% VRT.

Motor tax is separate matter, you could be asked for evidence of employees that need the seats to get commercial motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nixfoto

Hi sorry if this is a stupid question in advance, but I was speaking to a friend who has picked up his new disco 5 seater commercial.

Afterwards I wondered was there any difference between this new machine and maybe a 08 or 10 model.

Rang a garage and they said no difference really. I'm not a car nut but looking at it most of them their the exact same thing.

So my question is and was, why can't I buy a 2010 5 seater disco and tax it commercially?

If I'm missing something sorry in advance....

Nixfoto wrote: »
    Hi sorry if this is a stupid question in advance, but I was speaking to a friend who has picked up his new disco 5 seater commercial.

Afterwards I wondered was there any difference between this new machine and maybe a 08 or 10 model.

Rang a garage and they said no difference really. I'm not a car nut but looking at it most of them their the exact same thing.

So my question is and was, why can't I buy a 2010 5 seater disco and tax it commercially?

If I'm missing something sorry in advance....

I can't answer your question but can I ask.... Is the new disco a crewcab? If so, is there a bulkhead behind the back row of seats?

They are all the same (current model is the Discovery 4) but since 2010 Land Rover has managed to get 5 seaters classed as N1 Commercial which means it's VRT is 13.3% and VAT is reclaimable for business users which makes them a lot cheaper.

However, motor tax is a separate issue, the majority of these are still going to be taxed at passenger rate (but on engine size, not emissions although I stand to be corrected on this) as you usually need to prove you have 4 employees who need the extra seats to get the commercial rate.

WW1, they are standard passenger 5 seaters, don't know how LR managed to pull this off, same with all Defenders inc SWs, they are all N1 since 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

101sean wrote: »
    WW1, they are standard passenger 5 seaters, don't know how LR managed to pull this off, same with all Defenders inc SWs, they are all N1 since 2010.

Surely they've done it based on the load space?

I.E with the drop down tailboard counting as floor area ?

Not sure on the bulkhead aspect though, even a light cage would suffice wouldnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Not sure on the bulkhead aspect though, even a light cage would suffice wouldnt it?
    A bulkhead isn't necessary to fit within the newer criteria for a crew-cab. In fact if there's no bulkhead the load area can be smaller which is how the Disco can fit in. If there was a bulkhead there'd have to be a greater percentage of the wheelbase as load area like a traditional crew-cab (Hi-Lux, D-Max).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Is it necessary to weld in a steel floor too? Is is still required to black out the windows?

This would be in regards to converting an estate car. Cheers.

This is getting ridiculous.

My vehicle passed its DOE this time last year.
    It was then inspected and passed by a County Council officer.
    It then went for the new Revenue inspired test.
    It then went back for a second inspection by the County Council officer.
    2 tests and 4 inspections - all passed.
    Tested and taxed, done and dusted.

...or so I thought.

Went for the DOE yesterday and he says he can't test it because it still mentions five seats in the log book (even though it says the tax class is 'own goods') and the seats are long gone.
    He also says the seat belts are still there and that the recoil mechanism needs to be removed - even though they have been cut out and there is no way they can be accessed without removing interior panels.
    How can this vehicle have passed 4 inspections and then not be passed by one person?
    This same person also said he would give me a card for someone who was a 'Suitably Qualified Individual' and who would remove the belts & provide an engineer's report (for a fee, of course).

Something smells, it smells very bad indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

hi lads ,, correct me if im in the wrong thread here but me and the ould fella were looking at an 08 ford transit crew cab / double cab / 6 seater pick up the other day in the north ,

i was just wondering if she will fall into a different bracket now seeing as our robbing bastard of a government is clamping down on everything nowadays ,

it should be €250 to clear it but i cant get a definitive answer anywhere ,

would there be a loading because of the second row of seats ???

i also noticed the dealers in the north are no longer encouraging the use of vat numbers whilst purchasing over the border , it will be full price plus 20% VAT ,

one time if you had a vat number you didn't get charged the vat but its all tightening up now !!!!!

thanks lads and sorry for hijacking the thread .

You haven't a notion of getting that in for 250.

My brother in Cork brought in one about at year ago and thought the same. Revenue demanded €1600 for it, and in a dispute over it afterwards, it was actually seized by Revenue.

Very caveat, very emptor.

101sean wrote: »
    You've two issues here.

VRT will depend on the GVW of the Transit, if it's 3500t or more it will be €200 or whatever the current figure is. Under that I think you'll be looking at 13.3% VRT.

Motor tax is separate matter, you could be asked for evidence of employees that need the seats to get commercial motor tax.

My brothers one was plated at 3500kg, and they said it didn't matter: once the cab was there, that was the end of it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ravenelli

Would a 5 door freelander 2 qualify? It has a fairly large boot

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ravenelli wrote: »
    Would a 5 door freelander 2 qualify? It has a fairly large boot

no, even the full fat RR only makes it on a technicality, the discovery and defender are 100% clear, something as small as a freelander wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

something as small as a freelander wouldn't.

A company in Longford would no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ravenelli

Eric /Tony

I rang two Dublin based assessors and they both told me that it would have the requirements for the boot capacity, however it is the opening door area that it is falling down on. Might be worth a call to Longford so. Thanks for your replies

• Advertisement
Advertisement