Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate/Sweets of the late 80's/90's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Raffo69

Stinger bars, when they used to be the lenght of your fore arm. A half hours worth of chewing. And as few people mentioned, Klipso:D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

Chocolate fags! The chocolate actually tasted ****e in them, but thought I was class.
    Actually illegal now lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

irishbarb wrote: »
    Chocolate fags! The chocolate actually tasted ****e in them, but thought I was class.
    Actually illegal now lol.

There used to be candy fags as well that were basically made of the same type of sugar is used in Love hearts, most of the cigarette was white candy with the "filter" a brown candy. No wonder nearly every graduated onto real cigarettes by the time they were 13/14

There was a bar in the early/mid eighties that was out briefly and I can't remember the name of it. I don't think it was from one of the big companies like Cadburys, Rowntree or Mars. It was a honeycomb bar kind of like the Crunchie but wider and the honeycomb was softer, stickier and with bigger holes in it than the crunchie. Anyone got any ideas what it might have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

There was a bar in the early/mid eighties that was out briefly and I can't remember the name of it. I don't think it was from one of the big companies like Cadburys, Rowntree or Mars. It was a honeycomb bar kind of like the Crunchie but wider and the honeycomb was softer, stickier and with bigger holes in it than the crunchie. Anyone got any ideas what it might have been?

Was it called puff candy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Cadbury's Secret from 1990 holds special memories for me 'cos its arrival coincided with the WorldCup:)
    secrets.jpg

Earlier than this was Two&Two bar, many on this forum remember this fondly:)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScHrn6WPmNwcvk26NjxMZ4RWfyjmlCFGpc9Exi3P0Naz29A02elw

• Advertisement

Was it called puff candy?

That name doesn't register with me but I googled the name and it looks sort of like what I remember, pretty close anyway. I think it came in a blue wrapper rather than a red one which the picture in the link shows. http://www.ayrshirehistory.com/sweetie_papers/ross_puff_candy_second_vs.jpg

There was a choccie thing out around 1988 no one else seems to remember..it was dark chocolate, pyramid shaped and full of mint fondant...maybe I imagine it.

Another thing no one else seems to remember is the Peppermint Paté...it was biscuit shaped and had a silver and blue foil wrapping...dark choc coating filled with mint fondant, from late 70s.

Anyone out there remember Rowntree's Nutty bar?....Nyom! This is a pic of the wrapper, it was transparent. Again late 70s. Sorry op if this is too far back for this thread.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1-_2ud8WhFCiZEgvQIt_s2kNGixI0Hnhc-E7WLX190wIjhVTTzD6FtMXTYQ

• Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭cena

Mighty morphin power rangers wine gums. Not sure if anyone know of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Ann22 wrote: »
    There was a choccie thing out around 1988 no one else seems to remember..it was dark chocolate, pyramid shaped and full of mint fondant...maybe I imagine it.

Is this it Ann?

Another thing no one else seems to remember is the Peppermint Paté...it was biscuit shaped and had a silver and blue foil wrapping...dark choc coating filled with mint fondant, from late 70s.

Sounds a bit like Viscount biscuits

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It was only biscuit /shaped/, no actual biscuit. You can still get similar in the US, or from a UK candy seller. I usually get one in my xmas treat box. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Peppermint_Pattie

I love orange Viscount, but I never see them around anymore. Was only reminded of them the other day in LIDL when I saw a packet of the icky mint ones.

dahamsta wrote: »
    It was only biscuit /shaped/, no actual biscuit. You can still get similar in the US, or from a UK candy seller. I usually get one in my xmas treat box. :)

I love orange Viscount, but I never see them around anymore. Was only reminded of them the other day in LIDL when I saw a packet of the icky mint ones.

Thanks Dahamsta, you're right, there was no biscuit in it. That looks just like it! I seem to remember the wrapping to have been more firmly attached much like Viscounts are wrapped but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

What other bars/sweets do you miss from the late 80's/90's?
    Ah man.... ALOT!!!!

Milky Way,3 Muskeeters,Plain M&Ms (All Changed in 2000 to SKIM MILK (from reg milk -- Taste like crap (to me anyway (compared to how they tasted with reg milk (QUITE GOOD!)))))

We had 3 Musketeers over here? Don't remember that at all. You can still get them in/from the US too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Love2love wrote: »
    Attachment not found.

If this is what you are talking about then yes, they are still available. They sell them in the likes of Bray Seafront.

Anyone remember Smiley Bars? They were like chomps but they were orange flavoured?? Delish!

Also, superman chewing gum? They were Cherry flavour and you got a superman tattoo with them. Actually taste exactly like Wild Cherry Hubba Bubba

He-man bars, postman pat sweets, egg yolks, big-time bars, Tango bars, Lazer bars and Giant Chew bars .... How I still have teeth is beyond me!

My favourite crisps from that time were Crunchos who (according to Facebook :rolleyes:) making a come back. Anyone remember those crisps that were 5 pence??

YES! Smiley Bars - I loved them!
    And Chocolate covered toffee mice, can you still get them?
    My sister loved crunchos!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

woppa bars
    hi sours- absolute torture but we kept getting them
    fives crisps....
    paper money
    fat frogs.... mmmmmm
    freaky foot
    pushpops
    dip dabs

a nice can of orangina.... i remember that being reallllly nice
    skipper orange

wagon wheels really remind me of being young. I remember having one in junior infants as a treat and thinking it was the best thing in the world!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

19a.jpg
    Saw these in a shop yesterday for 70cent!

Do you remember when a bag of sweets cost 10p (sigh)

kerash wrote: »
    Love2love wrote: »
    Attachment not found.

If this is what you are talking about then yes, they are still available. They sell them in the likes of Bray Seafront.

Anyone remember Smiley Bars? They were like chomps but they were orange flavoured?? Delish!

Also, superman chewing gum? They were Cherry flavour and you got a superman tattoo with them. Actually taste exactly like Wild Cherry Hubba Bubba

He-man bars, postman pat sweets, egg yolks, big-time bars, Tango bars, Lazer bars and Giant Chew bars .... How I still have teeth is beyond me!

My favourite crisps from that time were Crunchos who (according to Facebook :rolleyes:) making a come back. Anyone remember those crisps that were 5 pence??

YES! Smiley Bars - I loved them!
    And Chocolate covered toffee mice, can you still get them?
    My sister loved crunchos!

Wouldn't be mad about Smileys, but I'll be checking Mugraves for chocolate-covered toffee mice next time I'm up there, yum yum. They were like tastier Scots Clan you had to work at. :)

fifi234ie wrote: »
    19a.jpg
    Saw these in a shop yesterday for 70cent!

Do you remember when a bag of sweets cost 10p (sigh)

They're just candy cigarettes without the different colour candy for the filter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 _coinin_

SWEE156_170.JPG
    I love these sweets! I only came across them again last month so I had to buy them. Happy out.
    Drumstick lollies are lovely too. I remember when Jurassic Park came out, they had lollies with bubble gum in the centre of them. Opal fruits, I didnt like as much when they changed the name, for some reason. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,865 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Anyone remember Banjo bars? two fingered wafery bar with peanut flavour?? Or Patsy pops??Too far back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

dahamsta wrote:
    We had 3 Musketeers over here?
    Im in the states and YES you can still get them BUT THEY ARE NOW MADE WITH SKIM MILK and taste like crap.. (Not anything like they were before 2000 with reg milk.. (DELICIOUS))

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Oh my God, I've finally found someone else who remembers these bars, I can't remember the name of them but I lived on them, used to get them in Jimmys shop on the high path on Cannon Street before heading back to the Pres for school. I described them to a few friends and absolutely no-one can remember them, I was starting to think I imagined them!! :eek::eek:

They were much bigger than a Crunchie, they were more the size and shape of a medium Cuisine de France roll :D and kinda rounded at the top. You could get them in mint (my favourite), caramel and I think there was another flavour (prob. honeycomb in fairness!).

Thank you for confirming my sanity, you've made my night :D

Oh my God, I've finally found someone else who remembers these bars, I can't remember the name of them but I lived on them, used to get them in Jimmys shop on the high path on Cannon Street before heading back to the Pres for school. I described them to a few friends and absolutely no-one can remember them, I was starting to think I imagined them!! :eek::eek:

They were much bigger than a Crunchie, they were more the size and shape of a medium Cuisine de France roll :D and kinda rounded at the top. You could get them in mint (my favourite), caramel and I think there was another flavour (prob. honeycomb in fairness!).

I think I do remember these. I've a memory of some kind of bar with a honeycomb centre that had a slightly different texture to Crunchie bars. I remember the mint one in particular. They had a bigger circumferance and used to melt in the mouth.

I'm glad to help :) I remember Jimmy's shop, I think he closed a couple of years ago? I used to get them in Hennebrys on Barrack st. on the way home from Mount Sion. I don't remember other flavours but I might have just been buying the plain honeycomb version.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

I think I do remember these. I've a memory of some kind of bar with a honeycomb centre that had a slightly different texture to Crunchie bars. I remember the mint one in particular. They had a bigger circumferance and used to melt in the mouth.

Yes that's them!! Now all we've to do is figure out what they were called :P

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Fizzle sticks, Kojack lollies,the flat cola fizzy lollies, Pink Panther bars,Kilimanjaro icepops,Dracula icepops-guess that's why i have gum problems as an adult. I loved all of these. Also,those honey comb bars mentioned-I remember my local shop sold them.Thing is though,they were just in one of the plastic jars,all pilled up.They were never in wrappers.Maybe they were knockoffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,865 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Were they called Cinder somethings or other??? Can still get them down here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

dahamsta wrote: »

You should be able to get the orange viscount in any tesco or Dunnes. My local €2 has them in stock all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Smiley Bars
    Pink Panther
    Gobstoppers
    Woppa ( Cola & Mint)
    Tangy bars

The toffee covered chocolate mice mentioned previously! They can still be got :)

used to love the fizzy orange bottles - can you still get those?

Also does anyone remember viking crisps? The were 10p and came in a blue packet and were salt and vinegar flavour.

Advertisement