Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online writing groups [Write Club]

Options
  • 22-05-2012 9:01am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When Write Club was originally set up, one of its proposed functions was to provide a virtual space for writing clubs to meet up. For one reason or another, this has never really taken off.

While nothing can replace the actual atmosphere of a live writing group, there are some advantages (no travel, no need to buy drinks, flexibility, no need to get wet).

If anyone wants to set up or join an online group with any criteria (age, genre, writing level...), let me know here and once I have about five people interested in any specific group I'll make a thread and grant access to anyone who needs it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I'm interested. I don't really know how to judge my writing level definitely not beginner, I guess I think anything past that is up for others to decide. I don't really have a particular genre, I just write fiction. I'm 30 but I'm happy to work with all age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'd really like to join a writing group for some structure. I'd probably throw myself into a beginners mix.

I haven't been writing for the last few years. This makes me sad, because it's something I really enjoyed, and I feel like I'm rubbish at it now. :( I'm a flash fiction kinda gal.

Sign me up, Picka!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stepha

Hi

I am currently writing my first book, it is based on a part of my life so its memoir although i dont know if I want it published as memoir, anyways I would love to join a discussion group for idea's and to ask questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

My real world writing group breaks for the summer and I could do with some motivation so I'm willing to try a virtual one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't live in an English-speaking country or a place with a big English-speaking community so I'd be interested.

A bit rusty with the writing, though.

One idea for how it could work: You can't post something for review until you've reviewed other submissions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I'm interested. Currently working on a short story :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Can you each post up a short description of what you're looking for so we can form like-minded groups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

I'd love this! I've been part of a few online writing groups in the past, and by far my favourite was the editing one. On that, we used to post bits and pieces of whatever story we were working on and receive constructive criticism, but it was a very friendly environment and nobody ever set out to hurt anyone else's feelings.

I mainly write sci-fi and urban fantasy, myself. ;)

What I'm looking for is a way to overcome my natural inertia and tendency to procrastinate. I need a deadline by which I have to produce something and then the others can decide if it is rubbish or if there is any way it can be improved on.
    I write short stories with the hope of some day producing something longer. I don't really have a genre, just write about what I observe and am inspired by the many interesting characters I interact with.

Jack's idea of having to provide feedback if you want to get some is a good one. In writing, like in life, there tend to be more takers than givers, so some structure is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I have to agree with echo_beach. If I plan on writing something it's usually just a plan, I kind of want a push or deadline to get it done by. I also have the tendency to decide it's not good enough and just leave it. I'd like to post my pieces somewhere people could decide that for me or offer me tips on how to improve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭OwlYouNeed

I'd love to join a writers group. I tend to write more in the fantasy/sci-fi genre and I guess I'm looking for constructive criticism on how to improve my writing. I've been writing for a few years now, but up until a year or so ago, it was only really childish stuff, so I suppose I'm really just a beginner. :P

I like the idea about giving feedback before you receive some, it'd help make things more fair. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

I'd do it but I have absolutely nothing to contribute at the moment. I haven't written anything of any use in a while but I can be a worthwhile critic.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

I have never been in a writing group before, so I'm interested as how it would work.
    I have been writing fiction and fantasy for 5 years now, going to self publish my first short book next month. I'm currently working on a fictional dark comedy, and have been working for few years on a fantasy novel.

I'm very interested and would like to join this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

hey folks, I'd be really interested in this if there's room.

I've been writing for years, mostly short stories, and have won a few short story competitions for slice-of-life stories, so, I don't know, probably not a beginner, after that I don't know where you'd best put me. I'm currently trying to write a longer adaptation of Deirdre of the Sorrows, which is obviously very different to what I've done before. I'd like the chance to write in a group with others just to help me keep the juices flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lauretteg

I would also be really interested in getting some constructive criticism. I struggle with personal writing and would love to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭38Flowers

Did this writing group ever get started, would love to join...??:)

Who's organising the group?? so far the replies have shown a healthy level of interest... the people have spoken; we want our group!

Healthy level of interest but no concrete feedback = doomed to failure.

Do I need to make yis a template to get an idea of what kind of group you want?
    Does anyone want to lead it (I won't be contributing myself so probably won't do much organising)?

Do I need to make yis a template to get an idea of what kind of group you want?

Please do..
    Does anyone want to lead it (I won't be contributing myself so probably won't do much organising)?

I think it's a lot for one person to undertake, so I would suggest forming a group of organisers; possibly 3. Ideally they should have some experience or an idea on how to run the group.

Anyone interested, put yourself forward :)

Ok, use this please:

Age (optional):
    Writing level (beginner/experienced/published/no idea):
    Genre(s):
    How often you can contribute (weekly/monthly/whenever I get time):
    Do you want to lead:

And thank the first post if you want, and don't have, access to Write Club.

• Advertisement

Writing level: experienced
    Genre: Fiction, Fantasy, short parables and stories.
    How often you can contribute: weekly
    Do you want to lead: Don't mind if I do!

Writing level: Past beginner but not yet experienced.
    Genre: Short stories, mostly based on real life.
    How often you can contribute: Fortnightly. (Let's be honest with ourselves. If you only contribute when you have time you won't contribute very much. Anybody with a family and/or job doesn't have time to write. You have to make time.)
    Do you want to lead: I can prod people along.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

Hey Pickarooney,

how intense is the Write club? I'm not that serious about writing at the moment but if you need more critics who know exactly what to do from a privileged position on the sidelines, like Ray Houghton, then I'm all for it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Writing level: Beginner with delusions of adequacy
    Genre: Military, sci-fi (ish), thriller
    How often you can contribute: Weekly to Fortnightly.
    Do you want to lead: Not right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Achillles

Writing level: beginner
    Genres: Fantasy, Crime, Short Stories
    How often you can contribute: Fortnightly
    Do you want to lead: No thanks!

It looks like Suff will be leading a fortnightly group for beginner to medium level writers.

It looks like Suff will be leading a fortnightly group for beginner to medium level writers.

Great, looking forward to it already! Now, can we get some sort of a hidden/ limited access thread, I think most of us wouldn't like to have their work/ideas on general display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Write Club isn't visible to the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Age (optional): 30 nearly 31
    Writing level (beginner/experienced/published/no idea): experienced
    Genre(s): Literary I suppose, don't know if my writing fits in to any certain genre.
    How often you can contribute (weekly/monthly/whenever I get time): weekly I hope!
    Do you want to lead:[/B] I would in the future when I have an idea of how things work.

• Advertisement

Antilles wrote: »
    Write Club isn't visible to the general public.

Yup, that's the whole point of it really. Does everyone who needs it have access at this stage?

Advertisement