Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Pharmacy 30% Cheaper

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

I worked in one of the big pharmacy chains and from my experience of the pricing there MYOB is totally incorrect and gpf101 is correct.

Also, I take a medication thats roughly 4euro if you buy one month individually or 10euro if you buy 6 months together. No matter where I buy it.

So there is a massive saving for me to buy the 6 months together

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That's the way it is alright... I do enough of them! It's the dispensary software adds the fee per item and gives a final bag price. The tills may not have the breakdown.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

gpf101 wrote: »
    That's the way it is alright... I do enough of them! It's the dispensary software adds the fee per item and gives a final bag price. The tills may not have the breakdown.

The tills are fed directly from the dispensary software (seeing as its the same company supplying both).

Different chains may work different ways. The standard as installed on our kit is NOT what you're saying it is. Pricing is editable at-will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Well I've worked in over 50 different pharmacies and I've never seen it priced the way you describe.

In a lot places the tills may be linked to the dispensary software but they don't use the link for prescriptions they just manually input the cost of the sale. For a private prescription (not DPS/GMS etc) it's cheaper to buy 6 months than one. Your basically buying 180 tabs as one transaction so there is only one dispensing fee. If you buy 6x30 each month it's 6 dispensing fees. On cheap meds like the pill you could save quite a bit of money doing this.

Unless I've been completely off my game for the past 2.5 years this is the way the vast vast majority of places do it.

There must be a wire crossing somewhere I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

+1 on what gpf said, having locumed for most of the main pharmacy chains, all charge a dispensing fee. The dispensing software allows this to be waived but will always charge it by default (this is certainly the case with the 2 main softwares who have id guess 95% market share between them)

Very few of the chain pharmacys use the same programmes for dispensing and epos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Big thread on above in the ROI Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Oracle wrote: »
    I'm glad to see Tesco offering lower medication prices in their pharmacies. But what's stopping Tesco from offering the same low priced pain relief medication in their Irish stores, as they do in their UK stores?
    I did get I think 16 paracetamols for about 40 cent recently in Tesco Rathfarnham. They were fine.

Advertisement