Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Android on a stick' (Raspberry Pi like devices)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Amalgam wrote: »
    Is that what's known as a, 'thin client'?

Actually knew the term, but didnt think to use it, as this is much more compact than the typical thins I woulda used, say 1/50th the size.

What'll be really interesting when we get smart tv like monitors with Pi like hardware built in(may exist already?).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Another device.

CX-01 Mini Android PC Android TV Box Android 4.0 Cortex A5 HDMI USB 4GB

sku3508410.jpg

20120612154940cx01minia.jpg

http://www.pandawill.com/cx01-mini-android-tv-box-android-40-cortex-a5-hdmi-usb-4gb-p63620.html

I'm not endorsing the above link in any way, except to show the device exists. I've had dealings with P-ndawill, enough said.. :mad:

What is interesting, the price is heading south.. under $55 delivered. So.. if that's the case for the likes of P-ndawill, you can bet it will be the same,or cheaper, at Aliexpress and similar.

CPU and build of the device isn't up to the same standard as the mk802 \ Z802.

I can see these plummeting in price, considering dodgy tablets are the same price, there's no reason the smaller hardware footprint will shrink the base cost and retail price at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Amalgam wrote: »
    Another device.

CPU and build of the device isn't up to the same standard as the mk802 \ Z802.

You mean 1Ghz v 1.5Ghz or something more. On the upside I like how you can just plug this straight into a TV without any cable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Not just the clock speed, the others are more or less bog standard 'A10' chipsets, working in tandem with the Mali400 GPU, which does a good job of cutting through HD content like a knife through butter. It is very predictable performance, on a par with the Elf/Aurora/Onda/Hyundai etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

Ordered one off the link on post #8
    Only posted out on Monday tracking number says its still in hong kong
    . Has any got one of these if so what they like??? ..looks like I,ll be waiting for a few weeks any way

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Got my Z802 a few days back.
    Set it up tonight and am impressed.
    Comes with all the cables u need, in a nice box and looks well made (compared to some chinese stuff I have purchased)

Does come with a 2 pin plug so u need an adaptor.
    If anyone is waiting for theirs from Asispads I'd say drop them a mail on the contact page, I was waiting a while but as soon as I did that mine was shipped!

I really like it so far, angry birds on a 50" screen is good fun.
    One thing I would like is to be able to access my network shares on wi-fi
    I know it's not standard android functionality, but my Archos 101 can do it.
    Anyone any ideas on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

mik_da_man wrote: »

Check ES File Explorer.
    Or if this thing is rooted. Cifs manager and any file manager.
    But ES File Explorer is the easiest way I've found.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Ste- wrote: »
    mik_da_man wrote: »

Check ES File Explorer.
    Or if this thing is rooted. Cifs manager and any file manager.
    But ES File Explorer is the easiest way I've found.

Cheers
    Looks like it will do the job :)

Advertisement