Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trying to Locate a Missing Fiat X19 Reg RZW275

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TRNIALL

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure if the car is actually on the road as such but it appears to be still registered, it shows up on various motoring websites. Had the car been officially scrapped or perhaps sold for parts, the scrappage should have been recorded. My suspicions were raised when I discovered by chance the car is still officially registered!
    If the Car is still Registered and you go to the Local Cop Shop explain to them the situation they should be able to tell you who the Registered Owner is,Maybe its still Yourself,Happy Hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Ok so can we have the mans: 1st name, location of this old garage etc. etc which would make it much earier to locate the old mechanic who you were very friendly with during the restoration of the car, so much so that you agreed to leave the car with him. So friendly that you forget his 2nd name and when you went to find him when you returned and asked locals they ALL did not know his name???!!! Would that not have been the first thing to find out all those years ago (Sorry to be a Captain Hindsight)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Carazy wrote: »
    Ok so can we have the mans: 1st name, location of this old garage etc. etc which would make it much earier to locate the old mechanic who you were very friendly with during the restoration of the car, so much so that you agreed to leave the car with him. So friendly that you forget his 2nd name and when you went to find him when you returned and asked locals they ALL did not know his name???!!! Would that not have been the first thing to find out all those years ago (Sorry to be a Captain Hindsight)

Captain Hindsight, the reason I started this thread was to seek advice on how best to track down were my car is, as explained from the outset, this is an unusual situation going back a number of years. I accepted from the outset that i am as much at fault as the mechanic for letting this go so long, to be honest i had long forget about this until finding the log book recently.

Whilst the search began about two years after i initially departed to the states, i let it go, moved to the midlands, have worked in 10 countries since, now settled in my humble abode in the midlands and a lot has happened since this situation began. I was also reluctant to name names as such for obvious reasons, I was not initially looking for the mechanics name, date of birth, marraige statue etc etc, just some way of researching were my car might be, is it registered, taxed currently etc, it is most likely the mechanic no longer has the car after all these years anyway.

But just to clarify, the mechanic was based in Pinebrook Close, Hunstown, clonsilla, Dublin 15, he has long since sold the house and neighbors previously advised he has moved to Meath. Finally, the purpose of this thread is to assertain how best i can determine if the car is currently taxed, in other words if my car was sold without permission, not to locate the mechanic as such. I do appreciate all the advice recieved on this thread and I may have an update later in the week.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

just do a carcheck or similar...if you were serious surely you would have done this already and would know if it was still taxed.

if it is still around it probably legimately belongs to the current owner, possibly they bought it when acquiring the storage site and have made a statutory declaration years ago changing its ownership.

corktina wrote: »
    just do a carcheck or similar...if you were serious surely you would have done this already and would know if it was still taxed.

if it is still around it probably legimately belongs to the current owner, possibly they bought it when acquiring the storage site and have made a statutory declaration years ago changing its ownership.

There was no storage site, this was a private mechanic, worked from his house etc, the house was sold and he moved everything, in fact the house was knocked and replaced with two new smaller houses. Plan to do a car check later in the week! Thanks!

• Advertisement

well any items at a premises when the premises are sold , become the property of the new owner if the seller doesn't remove them. Thus I imagine the new owner of the site would become the owner if the car was not removed or excluded from the sale in the contract. Anyone acquirng a site with an old car "abandioned" there would probably just call Hammond Lane...

Do you know if the car was moved when the house was sold?

corktina wrote: »
    well any items at a premises when the premises are sold , become the property of the new owner if the seller doesn't remove them. Thus I imagine the new owner of the site would become the owner if the car was not removed or excluded from the sale in the contract. Anyone acquirng a site with an old car "abandioned" there would probably just call Hammond Lane...

Do you know if the car was moved when the house was sold?

Yes his neighbors informed me at the time, he moved lock, stock and barrell when the house was sold to a developer who then built two new, smaller houses on what was once a corner site.

thats hopeful then. Do the check thing is the next move, only takes a few moments and costs about €35

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Silvera wrote: »
    Slightly off topic...

Where was this pic taken?
    I'm curious about the red Opel Kadett Coupe in the pic...havent seen it before (I'm a member of 'TotalOpel.com')

taken in New Ross at the Three Sisters Challenge :

http://www.rally.ie/stories/120219-190806

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

OP look at Thoms Directory for 1999 for the Clonsilla address - that should give you the surname.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 kell1

Hi Dempo1,It can be very quickly resolved without any cost.Call to your local Garda Station,bring your log book and explain that you were out of the country and that you are trying to locate your car,do NOT go into a big long winded story etc.Tell the Guard that you are NOT making a complaint against anybody and that all you want is to find your car.One click of a mouse will provide Guard with current owner,if currently insured,taxed,NCT'd,if involved in any incidents,who was stopped driving it etc.If you giv e your mechanics name,Guard would most likely be able to instantly bring up any telephone contact number and maybe ring him on your behalf.I wish to emphasise that this is all above board.Good Luck

kell1 wrote: »
    Hi Dempo1,It can be very quickly resolved without any cost.Call to your local Garda Station,bring your log book and explain that you were out of the country and that you are trying to locate your car,do NOT go into a big long winded story etc.Tell the Guard that you are NOT making a complaint against anybody and that all you want is to find your car.One click of a mouse will provide Guard with current owner,if currently insured,taxed,NCT'd,if involved in any incidents,who was stopped driving it etc.If you giv e your mechanics name,Guard would most likely be able to instantly bring up any telephone contact number and maybe ring him on your behalf.I wish to emphasise that this is all above board.Good Luck

Thanks Kell1, I finally got confirmation the Car is still registered in my name with no reported incidents etc. It is likely the car was kept in storage and probably a rust bucket at this stage. Unfortunately a previous address going back many years is the address registered on the log book. I have now reluctantly reported the car as stolen, this was on the advice of the Gardai albeit doubtful the car is road worthy etc. Officially the mechanic should have reported the car scrapped (there is a likely hood that parts may have been sold at this stage.

Thanks to one and all for their help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

If it was me, I'd suggest calling to a few local motor factors or a few local main dealers. Some of the older guys might remember Joe Bloggs, Mechanic who worked from the location you remember. It would be worth a shot. I'd also try the local motor club or classic car club, lot of mechanics involved in that in my area & would be familiar with other mechanics who operated about.

My tuppence worth,

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I'd say the mechanic left it behind gladly when he eloped with the developers money .:D

Most likely that the pesky builders then crushed the crispy wreck with the JCB or hymac and dumped it in a tipper truck illegally, the cheek of them !:eek:

perhaps you could sue the builder if he hasn't gone into liquidation/receivership or emigrated, or worse !;)

It might be no harm to put a tracker on the next one, so it doesn't happen the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Bigus wrote: »
    I'd say the mechanic left it behind gladly when he eloped with the developers money .:D

Well if it became the developers property, you should give NAMA a ring and see if they've any X/19's on their books;)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

well at Mondello classic this year, they are gathering a number of X19's celebrate its 40th is it? maybe pop down who knows, who will be there or what they know...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

It might be no harm to put a tracker on the next one, so it doesn't happen the next time.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.........not a single attempt was made by the mechanic to contact me prior to moving. ......

...er, says who ? How do you know that ? You fupped off around the globe for 10+ years..... As far as you know he spent 10 years looking for you, tried everything he could think of to find you......... and in a moment of mercy, put the car out of it's misery. Maybe he had no greater success at finding you, as you are of him ..?

LOL, so, you think the battery in the tracker will still work, in parked car, in 15 years time ? I'd like the name of that battery co, btw........ ;):D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I've followed this thread with interest since the start and I had a fair degree of sympathy for you when some posters were giving you stick, but I'm absolutely flabbergasted that you could leave a car with someone more than 10 years ago and then go to the police and report it stolen! What did you expect the man to do with it when he moved if you were not contactable? Bring it on at his own expense and store it at his new property? I know what I would have done with it! I think it's time to face the unfortunate reality that your car is scrapped now or the developer most probably swept it up when he was developing the site!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

My bet is that this car is long since scrapped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

galwaytt wrote: »

LOL, so, you think the battery in the tracker will still work, in parked car, in 15 years time ? I'd like the name of that battery co, btw........ ;):D

Is that not a realistic assumption :eek:

I want me money back so.

The cheek of people selling trackers that don't track !

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

I think I read that the fiat was left outside the house so outside in the elements for 15 years to any car is going to let the rust bug do it's thing, especially as the x19 were susceptible to rust.
    I'd say the car has long being scrapped, might even has happened before scrap prices started going up and the mechanic could have had to pay to get it taken away.
    Good luck with the search if you continue it.

Just a quick update, finally confirmed the car is still registered in my name and I was able to ascertain the surname of the mechanic involved. I appreciate the advice from genuine users and got some amusement from the less than sincere trollers on this site.

Referring back to my original post for those smart arses, I accepted responsibility for leaving this go on so long but as explained I moved abroad, the mechanic sold up, a few years had passed, I left it alone but only recently discovered the log book to find out the car was still registered on the system, my initial concern was the car was still on the road, perhaps had fines etc or perhaps the car had been sold on. The mechanic made no efforts to make contact despite by close friendship with his direct neighbors (this was how I found him in the first place), for all those experts, the mechanic was legally required to scrap the car if it was the case he attempted to locate me (which he did not). Whilst the mechanic has since long moved and despite having his full name, it will be near impossible to locate him and the Gardai have advised reporting the car stolen. Whilst initially motivated to regularize the situation, insuring the car was not being driven in my name, I admit it would be nice to get it back albeit probably a rust bucket by now. I do not think the mechanic sold on the car or has had it on the road. It was worth a try to see if the car or he could be located. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Just a quick update, finally confirmed the car is still registered in my name and I was able to ascertain the surname of the mechanic involved. I appreciate the advice from genuine users and got some amusement from the less than sincere trollers on this site.

Referring back to my original post for those smart arses, I accepted responsibility for leaving this go on so long but as explained I moved abroad, the mechanic sold up, a few years had passed, I left it alone but only recently discovered the log book to find out the car was still registered on the system, my initial concern was the car was still on the road, perhaps had fines etc or perhaps the car had been sold on. The mechanic made no efforts to make contact despite by close friendship with his direct neighbors (this was how I found him in the first place), for all those experts, the mechanic was legally required to scrap the car if it was the case he attempted to locate me (which he did not). Whilst the mechanic has since long moved and despite having his full name, it will be near impossible to locate him and the Gardai have advised reporting the car stolen. Whilst initially motivated to regularize the situation, insuring the car was not being driven in my name, I admit it would be nice to get it back albeit probably a rust bucket by now. I do not think the mechanic sold on the car or has had it on the road. It was worth a try to see if the car or he could be located. Thanks again!

You have his full name and still can't find him. I would say that would not be impossible. I dobut their are many mechanics who operate in Ireland with the exact same name.
    If he was able to restore cars as in the case of your X19 it is likely that he would be known to classic car enthusiasts here,

Carazy wrote: »
    You have his full name and still can't find him. I would say that would not be impossible. I doubt their are many mechanics who operate in Ireland with the exact same name.
    If he was able to restore cars as in the case of your X19 it is likely that he would be known to classic car enthusiasts here,

Thanks Carazy,

Unfortunately the mechanic was not especially involved in the classic car market, this was initially an engine work assignment, restoration work such as Body work, spraying, sourcing parts etc was done elsewhere or by myself.

As regards locating this chap, all I have is his previous address (some 13 years or so old), his previous neighbors advised he moved to meath somewhere but no one has a precise location. I don't want to trawl through phone books etc to track this chap down and as he previously worked from his home, its doubtful he is a registered business if you get my drift.

Reporting the car stolen (missing) is not my preferred course of action but my concerns are if the car is or has been sold on and its on the roads, legally as the registered owner I could be liable. I sincerely doubt the car has been sold or is on the road, perhaps it was sold for parts etc, however the fact it is still registered and in my name, its a worry.

As an aside, I have put a notice of various XI9 fan sites, forums etc but there was no joy sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

you deserve to be trolled.gob****e:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

dutchcat wrote: »

You've been banned numerous times from this forum. You're just back from a 3 month ban and you still can't keep it civil. This time you are out for good.

dutchcat wrote: »
    Good man dutchcat, predictability is such a sad thing. I take it my subtle reference to experts such as yourself in my last post ruffled your feathers somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ngk74

Did you manage to track down the car yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

As regards locating this chap, all I have is his previous address (some 13 years or so old), his previous neighbors advised he moved to meath somewhere but no one has a precise location. I don't want to trawl through phone books etc to track this chap down and as he previously worked from his home, its doubtful he is a registered business if you get my drift.

You now know his full name and that he lives in Meath - have you tried a regular 04 phone book?

Advertisement