Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping problems.

Options
  • 18-05-2012 6:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

Done a wee search on here but didn't see any other thread that fit in with my problem so here goes ... *sigh*...

To put it simply I am having real problems sleeping recently. Not because anything is bothering me really or anything like that just can't seem to drift off and worse never seem to feel sleeply! I put it down to not working much recently and not feeling tired as a result, but I do cycle at least twice a week play football once a week, walk every other day and sometimes on the days I cycle too.

On top of this weirdly when I do sleep I will sleep for well over 12 hours

Take last week for example been asleep by 1am roughly 3 nights slept until again roughly 3pm. Then tonight / this morning I'm still up and awake and not feeling tired at all, and will in all likelihood stay up all night.

Been to the doc's and got sleeping tablets but that's all they say they can / will do

Anyone else in or has been in the same boat and any tips on how to get my body clock back on track again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Get yourself a good alarm clock and get out of bed in the morning, how do you expect to sleep at a decent hour at night if you're asleep til 3pm?

Go to bed at a decent hour, do what you're told with those tablets that I can't say anything about on boards and read a book or something, switch off all electronics before going to bed, especially your laptop, they don't like sleep. Build a routine, and stick to it, even if it doesn't work to start you should slip into it.

Consider at some point the idea that there might be another reason you aren't sleeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i used to find it hard to sleep after ive been playing eve online late at night.... since ive gotten bored of eve online ive let my subs run out and as a result im not up late playing the game anymore... ive gotten back into a good sleep routine and find it easy to wake up early enough to not be late for work anymore.

long story short... doing stuff at night that is highly stimulating will result in a poorer quality sleep (sex being an exception). turn off the computer at least 1 hour before you intend to go to bed... lower the light in your living room, watch a little tv or read a book to wind down. after an hour you should be good to head to bed.

stop sleeping in bed all day... and go out and exercise during the day if your unemployed (if your employed then try get exercise by walking to n from work or going for a walk after work) as this also helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I find I need to be awake for at least 15 hours if I'm to drift off easily. By waking up at 3pm you are making it very difficult to get to sleep early that night at a reasonable hour. So simple answer for me was to get up earlier and I found I didn't have a problem to get to sleep after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your sleeping pattern will gradually creep out of sync if you don't maintain a routine.

If you're not getting out of bed till 3pm, then I wouldn't be surprised that you're still up and awake 14 hours later. A person in a normal routine would get up at 7am and stil be awake and not exceptionally tired 14 hours later.

Excessive amounts of sleep in my experience can also blur the line between what is and isn't tiredness. I find that if I get more than 10 hours sleep, then I'm fuzzy for the rest of the day. I've done this over a matter of weeks (years ago) and found that it was hard to distinguish what was "normal" fuzzy and what was "tired" fuzzy, until you're just going to bed because you're bored or because it seems like the right thing to do.

Try to get yourself into a proper routine, as in, "I will sleep at least 7 hours a night and no more than 9, and I will be in bed by midnight every night". After two weeks or so you will find yourself tired by the time bed comes around and you will start finding it difficult to remain in bed too long in the morning. But you do need to be constantly aware of holding onto your routine and getting up when that alarm goes off, no matter how tired you feel.
    All it takes is a weekend where you go out on the piss and don't get up till midday two days in a row and your routine is screwed again.

Advertisement