Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vintage use Declaration

Options
  • 17-05-2012 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I am in the process of taxing my car but the people in the council have sent back the paperwork along with a declaration that i must sign to declare that the car is for vintage use only. Are they taking the piss? What is vintage use? Is this because of all the clean Landrover Discovery going around on zv plates or what. I can understand an insurance company having concerns but i thought a 30 year old vehicle was vintage Full Stop. By the way this is a very occasional use car and not a daily driver.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

What county are you in? Was it a renewal or a first time taxing? Its odd to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 aravan2010

I am in Laois. It is a renewal. Last year was the first year for the vintage tax for the car and there was no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

I renewed online in Dublin for one of my vintage cars last month no problem. Must be a new thing. Whats vintage use meant to define? Not for commercial use or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I never get a tax renewal for my vintage cars, never have:confused:

So no more driving our vintage cars to work then?

First the number plate thing, and now this, they can do what they like and nobody objects.
    We have nobody to represent us and nobody cares:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i bring mine to work on sunny days

do they describe what they mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I'd just sign it and f**k it back to them - I think there's something about not doing more that xxxxx miles/year but who ever checks it ? :D

People are better ignoring govt/council stupidity - it just fades away then:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Vintage use WTF? If you are driving it then it's in use , how could they enforce vintage use, daft . I can see them removing the 30 year rule in the future as cars turning 30 become more and more viable as practical daily drivers and introduce a pre 19xx rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Is it not the yellow change of particulars form? If a car is changing from the pre 30 year old private tax tax band to the vintage tax band you have to fill the change of particulars form to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Is it not the yellow change of particulars form? If a car is changing from the pre 30 year old private tax tax band to the vintage tax band you have to fill the change of particulars form to do it.

do you? I never have...

there is no restriction to Vintage use only on a 30 year old plus car as far as I know, but maybe a Land Rover would be regarded as a Commercial and therefore not eligible for "vintage" tax unless it is declared not for commercial use.:eek:

In this case you would be transferring from Commercial tax to Private (vintage)tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

aravan2010 wrote: »
    along with a declaration that i must sign to declare that the car is for vintage use only.
    Are you quite sure? That doesn't even make sense as a sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I think they mean you're not towing trailers and working it as a commercial vehicle in general. I know a few people who have vintage jeeps solely for towing and have no interest in them other than that. I think it relates to commercial vehicles in particular, i.e. trucks and jeeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Aravan, what year, make/model of vehicle were you taxing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 aravan2010

It is a blank sheet with a title

"Declaration regarding the use of Vintage Vehicles".

I wish to confirm that i use my Vehicle Reg No. .............. solely for vintage purposes.

Signed:.......
    Date:.........

And that is it. It is a 1981 Delorean.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Just wondering are they trying to clamp down on this carry on. Saw this Celica 185 on M8 yesterday. Number plate looked very odd 232 LYI.

celicall.jpg

celica2go.jpg

"It is a 1981 Delorean."

Ah, no time travel allowed :D

But seriously, I suspect that this is some form of extension to the 'light commercial vehicle' declaration brought in last year.
    Anybody who taxes any vehicle outside the normal 'private class' bands will need a declaration,anyone tax a camper van lately? I'm just guessing.

What annoys me is that you don't hear about these things beforehand.

Jomcc wrote: »
    Just wondering are they trying to clamp down on this carry on. Saw this Celica 185 on M8 yesterday. Number plate looked very odd 232 LYI.

celicall.jpg

celica2go.jpg

Mar 1976 to jan 1977 Dublin county reg, according to my info that is when reg 232 LYI was issued , it's blatantly obvious that car is post 1990 and a Japanese import surely the owner can't escape with that for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

bbsrs wrote: »
    Mar 1976 to jan 1977 Dublin county reg, according to my info that is when reg 232 LYI was issued , it's blatantly obvious that car is post 1990 and a Japanese import surely the owner can't escape with that for long.

Certainly hope not because it's going to destroy things for those of us who try do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

aravan2010 wrote: »
    It is a blank sheet with a title

"Declaration regarding the use of Vintage Vehicles".

I wish to confirm that i use my Vehicle Reg No. .............. solely for vintage purposes.

Signed:.......
    Date:.........

And that is it. It is a 1981 Delorean.
    That is very odd. I mean, WTF are 'vintage purposes'?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

celicall.jpg

celica2go.jpg

Oh dear. Now there is a grade A fool.

• Advertisement

Certainly hope not because it's going to destroy things for those of us who try do it right.

And that reg is NCT exempt , big points and fine if the owner is found out maybe more as it's de-frauding the Revenue dept also in non payment of correct roadtax and possibly VRT if it was never paid in the state. come to think of it there must be a list as long as your arm of the offences this practice commits.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

Can you scan this form and post it up so that we can see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i wonder if its the case that the clerk doesnt know what a Delorean is and thinks it may be a commercial?

Never mind, if you have back tax to pay, it would be simpler to do in a Delorean than almost anything else except a Police Phonebox perhaps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Regarding the OP's letter, is this not just a badly worded way of asking what category of vehicle you fall under in a tax class that includes several types of vehicles?

Dades wrote: »
    Regarding the OP's letter, is this not just a badly worded way of asking what category of vehicle you fall under in a tax class that includes several types of vehicles?

It's his second time to tax it under this class, so they should already have that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Typical Laois County Council, competence ISN'T their strong point.

Ask them for a copy of the legislation defining "vintage use", suspect you will near no more.

The definition of vintage is >=30 years old, no ifs, buts or maybes.

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I dont see why that makes any difference? A 30+ year old jeep is just as capable of towing and doing work just as well as a modern one.

Agreed, and irrelevant - the class of vintage and heritage applies to vehicles over 30 years old. What they are used for doesn't come into it, despite what the begrudgers in the council would believe.

(speaking as someone who uses a 31 year old landrover as a tow horse - a landrover which is rated at a 4 tonne tow weight by the manufacturer)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yep, vintage use - I rattle spanners at it on a Saturday and spend Sundays parked in a field with the rest of them.

Where do I sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Oh yeah, that could be it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I dont see why that makes any difference? A 30+ year old jeep is just as capable of towing and doing work just as well as a modern one.

That's just the issue here from what i understand. The reason they stress vintage use is to disallow people from using a vintage jeep or truck as a work vehicle, i.e. towing horseboxes or carrying loads. Vintage vehicles are exempt from testing so therefore are not intended to be used as a work vehicle. It's not a case of them not being up to the job but if people continue to use them for these purposes we'll end up loosing the low taxation status and we'll all end up having test our vehicles regardless of the age all as a result of a few tight arses who are too mean to pay the road tax on a work vehicle.

Advertisement