Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vietnam War

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭recyclops

If ya like reading bout Vietnam you can't get a better book than this a fantastic read

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0091910110

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's even if it is stupid and wrong.

Just as a matter of interest have you found any films on the Vietnam war that you did like, or any general films that you have enjoyed?

I dont think films really give us insight to the Vietnam war. I think documentaries and testimonies from both sides do... even though documentaries are known to have their flaws in them, they are a far sight better than the films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Apoc Now... I was told it was the greatest Vietnam War movie ever made.... It's such a load of absolute bollix.

It is... Perhaps you've seen the Redux version which isn't half as good as the theatrical version.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Lumbo wrote: »
    There's lots of museums in Vietnam where they'll show you various ways how to kill Americans.

They enjoyed beating the Yanks.

What a terrible phrase.

They paid a huge price for their independence from America.

Tbh, they still are due to the Americans use of chemical weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I dont think films really give us insight to the Vietnam war. I think documentaries and testimonies from both sides do... even though documentaries are known to have their flaws in them, they are a far sight better than the films.

Just keep in mind that the war in Vietnam continued long after the USA stopped it's military involvement and withdrew all American forces. The Vietnamese kept killing each other for a couple more years.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »

:confused: Ya what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Recently released documentry on the Vietnam war with some personal and never before seen footage ,which was also shown on Sky documentrys last week .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Just as a matter of interest have you found any films on the Vietnam war that you did like, or any general films that you have enjoyed?

Platoon was an eyeopener in the sense Charlie Sheen's character blasted the racists within his squad by saying about the Vietnamese woman "she's a fcukin human being man!".

Still, the soldiers who massacred 347 civilians at My Lai got away with murder. Sums up their attitude to the Vietnamese people at the time just because they are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What a terrible phrase.

Tbh, they still are due to the Americans use of chemical weapons.

And land mines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Was Vietnam a cool war? Definitely.

Was it morally justified? I don't care and can you please fuck off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

3 words - My Lai Massacre. No - The US can't just randomly overthrow Governments when it pleases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's even if it is stupid and wrong.

Aw thanks! ;)
    Many in general, none so far on the Nam war actually, no.
    I don't tend to like war films for the most part at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

gurramok wrote: »
    Platoon was an eyeopener in the sense Charlie Sheen's character blasted the racists within his squad by saying about the Vietnamese woman "she's a fcukin human being man!".

Still, the soldiers who massacred 347 civilians at My Lai got away with murder. Sums up their attitude to the Vietnamese people at the time just because they are different.

Definitely. My Lai was a huge turning point for many. I remember reading about it. Sickening. Is it any wonder the people of Vietnam were not prepared to help the US and in fact actively set about fighting with the Viet Cong to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

dlofnep wrote: »
    3 words - My Lai Massacre. No - The US can't just randomly overthrow Governments when it pleases.

Well the US can overthrow governments when it pleases. Most recently Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya.

The Vietnam war was not about the overthrow of a government more about propping up the corrupt pro western South Vietnam regime.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

If they run they are VC.

If they stand still, they are well trained VC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Better dead than Red.

A good Red is a dead Red.

And the US military war was largely based on body counts, the kill count in the hope that the enemy would lose hope and morale due to heavy losses. Most US victories in various battles were due to air firepower rather than ground combat, thats where the heavy loss of Viet life was, a tad unfair indeed. If the Vietnamese were about to overrun a military base due to hand on hand combat won fairly, the US sent in the airplanes to bomb them, sort of a cowardly way to win a battle.

The film Battle of Hamburger Hill(and documentary) shows the US strategy whereby it wasn't about holding rural territory but kill as many on that territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If I was going to ask any Vietnam war novice to watch a film on the subject I would choose '' Path To War '' which gives a great insight into the thinking behind closed doors in the Johnson Administration at the time throughout the Vietnam War period, which saw the escalation of troops rise from a few hundred thousend to over a million ,with some fine acting by Michael Gambon as Johnson and Alec Baldwin as secretary of state Robert McNamara .

Path To War

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

gurramok wrote: »
    And the US military war was largely based on body counts, the kill count in the hope that the enemy would lose hope and morale due to heavy losses. Most US victories in various battles were due to air firepower rather than ground combat, thats where the heavy loss of Viet life was, a tad unfair indeed. If the Vietnamese were about to overrun a military base due to hand on hand combat won fairly, the US sent in the airplanes to bomb them, sort of a cowardly way to win a battle.

The film Battle of Hamburger Hill(and documentary) shows the US strategy whereby it wasn't about holding rural territory but kill as many on that territory.

lol... the US were cheating with superior air power?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It was a horrible war that the Vietnamese deserved to win and I don't care if they were Communists no foreign country has the right to dictate to another country and looking at what has become of Europe and the West today I think history will judge the fall of the Berlin Wall as a day in Human History when corrupt thugs took control. The ordinary yank is just as hard working as the Irish but it is what their government allows and their corporate greed and hegemony which is destroying the world and the world economy.

The Russians should have started WWIII and they'd have won it too. This society of billions for the fraudsters and the masses in poverty is not fair and we are living in a "kudos or kang" democracy where there is an illusion of freedom when in fact we are all slaves to the corrupt financial system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yanks disgust me with their "Freedom"

Look at the Orange Kid in this Video, There still having deformed Children in Vietnam today because of Agent Orange.

Any surprise people want to kill the pricks.

Look at what it's doing to Kids being born right now http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NE-72ZXux-g/Sl4TbwklJ0I/AAAAAAAAKHw/TOnb2u1gDMs/s400/Agent+Orange.jpg

I hate America and It's wars. Let's nuke the bastards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

From watching the DVD's it looked like the Americans really lost a lot of casualties due to the Vietcong because of their underground tunnel system they had going on and booby traps.

Stinicker wrote: »
    It was a horrible war that the Vietnamese deserved to win and I don't care if they were Communists no foreign country has the right to dictate to another country...

Good stuff, so South Vietnam should still exist.
    Stinicker wrote: »
    ....and looking at what has become of Europe and the West today I think history will judge the fall of the Berlin Wall as a day in Human History when corrupt thugs took control. The ordinary yank is just as hard working as the Irish but it is what their government allows and their corporate greed and hegemony which is destroying the world and the world economy.
    The Russians should have started WWIII and they'd have won it too..

lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

The whole thing absolutely reeked of fascism, and the Americans deserved to get their arses kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I'm going to wait and see what Ken Burns has to say about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Of course it was a farce. One of the dumbest decisions the US government ever made, and they've made a lot of dumb decisions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

My father fought in Vietnam when he was 19/20.

Not 20...:p

lol... the US were cheating with superior air power?

Yes!

They lost the ground war so turned to air power. That resulted in massacring a few million civilians imperial style, not nice. Very cowardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Renn wrote: »
    I'm going to wait and see what Ken Burns has to say about it.

They should give all profits to the Kianh Foundation

American are so overdue some serious Retribution, all the seem to do is Kill, Kill, Kill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

prinz wrote: »
    :confused: Ya what?

America indulges in neo-impearilism as opposed to the tradtional way empires take over other countries.

Advertisement