Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beatles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

thesultan wrote: »
    I still feel that 'A Hard Days Night' is an amazing album.
    It is and was the album I played the most when I first got into the Beatles .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Favourite song on Rubber Soul. Great groove.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Eleanor rigby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

but it was Eleanor Rigby that got me into them at last.

Somewhat offtopic.. but it's also the basis of my favourite piece of art..
    A very understated statue which used to be on the edge of an old derelict building (now a shopping centre!).. It was also there long before all the tacky tourist crap that exists there now..

Dedicated to "All the lonely people.."

Eleanor-Rigby-Statue.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Welease wrote: »
    Somewhat offtopic.. but it's also the basis of my favourite piece of art..
    A very understated statue which used to be on the edge of an old derelict building (now a shopping centre!).. It was also there long before all the tacky tourist crap that exists there now..

Dedicated to "All the lonely people.."

Eleanor-Rigby-Statue.jpg

Where is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

So many great songs. My favourite always changes. Currently it's this:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Suas11 wrote: »
    Where is that?

On Stanley St (in Liverpool)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭I_p_freely

When I was very young I had "glue ear" a common hearing problem in kids - I had it real bad and from when I was 2 to when I was ~10. I had many procedures to get gromits in my ears and had generally bad hearing for that time. I loved music though. I used to listen to the radio with my ear pressed against the speaker.
    I had a number of mixed tapes that were for children and my favourite one was of a man and woman who used play a lot of simple songs, among them "Puff the Magic Dragon" and my favourite "Yellow Submarine". I did not know who the Beatles were only the version of Yellow Submarine by this man and woman. As I grew older I thought these were kids songs so stopped listening to them but when I was about 10 I was in a friends house when he put on a movie - Yellow Submarine - I was very confused because my life had just been turned upside down! I have everything by the Beatles and a lot on vinyl, but this remains my favourite song.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I'm not really a fan but I love this:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

im a huge beatles fan, but i dont think its possible to quantify a band as the best ever. however i think it is possible to say they are probably the most popular group yet.

by the fact that they were the most popular you could possibly make the argument that they were the best also.

its so subjective though that i dont think its worth arguing. from my point of view they are probably my favourite band of all time.

here is my favourite song of theirs at the moment. but that changes regularily

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭bullpost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Love this picture (and the subsequent more famous one)...

U3v7L.jpg

The+Beatles+JUMP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Not only did the Beatles have two extraordinarily talented songwriters with John and Paul but they had a third very talented writer that improved as The Beatles went on. That was George, by the way.

Frank Sinatra once said that his favourite Lennon-McCartney song was "Something". In fact, it was written by George Harrison!

Another thing that was unusual about The Beatles was that all four took turns at lead vocals. Ringo proved that he was a quite capable singer, and, like the others, pursued a solo career post-Beatles. The next British group I came across that did that were 10CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

George is secretly everyone's favourite Beatle.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Huge fan here, though admittedly I only really truly like their early work. Pre- Pepper though I do like some of their later songs.

Here is something to get the discussion going.

In my opinion the force behind the Beatles was Paul. It saddens me how a lot of people, fans and non fans look to John Lennon like some God like character. When Paul a 15 year old boy first met John he couldn't even play proper guitar chords, Paul had to show him what he was doing wrong.
    Paul's singing voice (had) a much greater range and nicer tone. His songs cover a wide range of notes and to me John's songs are a bit monotone like for instance Julia vs. I Will.
    People think McCartney just wrote "the frog song" and Mull of Kintyre but I find his solo work a lot more inspiring than Johns. How can anyone think a song with Yoko wailing on it is good? I just don't understand it. I know Paul has wrote a few clinkers too but the good stuff outweighs the bad.

Have a listen to Beautiful Night, Letting Go, Call Me Back Again, Junk, Maybe I'm Amazed.

It's sad but I think when Macca is no longer with us hopefully he will get some respect and credit he so well deserves. He is one of the most talented people ever to be on this earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Huge fan here, though admittedly I only really truly like their early work. Pre- Pepper though I do like some of their later songs.

Here is something to get the discussion going.

In my opinion the force behind the Beatles was Paul. It saddens me how a lot of people, fans and non fans look to John Lennon like some God like character. When Paul a 15 year old boy first met John he couldn't even play proper guitar chords, Paul had to show him what he was doing wrong.
    Paul's singing voice (had) a much greater range and nicer tone. His songs cover a wide range of notes and to me John's songs are a bit monotone like for instance Julia vs. I Will.
    People think McCartney just wrote "the frog song" and Mull of Kintyre but I find his solo work a lot more inspiring than Johns. How can anyone think a song with Yoko wailing on it is good? I just don't understand it. I know Paul has wrote a few clinkers too but the good stuff outweighs the bad.

Have a listen to Beautiful Night, Letting Go, Call Me Back Again, Junk, Maybe I'm Amazed.

It's sad but I think when Macca is no longer with us hopefully he will get some respect and credit he so well deserves. He is one of the most talented people ever to be on this earth.

I think that's changing with time. The last few solo re-releases have got great reviews, and have finally been appreciated for the fine pieces of work they were. McCartney has never been deserted by his ear for melody, but sometimes he does take the easy way out with slushy arrangements or half arsed lyrics; the one thing he's missed for so long is a sparring partner like Lennon. Between 62-69, he was *largely* writing to impress Lennon. When he lost that, more of the dross started to creep in.

McCartney is now at the stage where if he decided to play an entire set of solo work, he'd still manage 3 hours of bloody great tunes. Perhaps still not as good as the stuff done by his old band, but stuff - nonetheless - that most songsmiths would give their right (and left) arms to have had a hand in a fraction of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Can we get an actual discussion about a particular aspect of the Beatles as musicians or about their influence going?

I really don't think this sort of general discussion, just everyone posting their favourite Beatles songs will work.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Can we get an actual discussion about a particular aspect of the Beatles as musicians or about their influence going?

I really don't think this sort of general discussion, just everyone posting their favourite Beatles songs will work.

Ok, but you have to promise me you won't mention The Beach Boys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

This and strawberry fields forever have to be my favourites, what a unique band.

This conversation is still going nowhere.

Some of the fanboys here might already know this but the closest The Beatles ever came to reforming was at Eric Clapton's wedding in 1979 where all of them attended except for John Lennon.

Paul also said that if he reconciled with Lennon it would have happened eventually, but they always feared it would spoiled the whole idea of his band and what they represented in the 60s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

karaokeman wrote: »

Paul also said that if he reconciled with Lennon it would have happened eventually, but they always feared it would spoiled the whole idea of his band and what they represented in the 60s.
    John Lennon said ( quote) '' The public never got to see the Beatles as we were in our Hamburg days when we were rocking and jumping all over the stage in leathers '' .

I think it would have happened eventually and as Lennon said ( quote) '' if it happens it happens '' but he also said (Quote) '' I don't wanna be singing I wanna hold your head when I'm 60 '' .Their own post Beatle, individual, musical progressions would have meant that much compromise in the live set ( to say the least ) would have to be worked out .

The problem with the Beatles was they crammed in and absorbed to much ,to quick ,to soon and never really became the band Lennon would have really liked them to be .They had peaked as a pop band ,whereas bands like the Stones and The Who didn't have the expectations and limitations of 'Beatlemania ' to worry about .

• Advertisement

Latchy wrote: »
    John Lennon said ( quote) '' The public never got to see the Beatles as we were in our Hamburg days when we were rocking and jumping all over the stage in leathers '' .

I think it would have happened eventually and as Lennon said ( quote) '' if it happens it happens '' but he also said (Quote) '' I don't wanna be singing I wanna hold your head when I'm 60 '' .Their own post Beatle, individual, musical progressions would have meant that much compromise in the live set ( to say the least ) would have to be worked out .

The problem with the Beatles was they crammed in and absorbed to much ,to quick ,to soon and never really became the band Lennon would have really liked them to be .They had peaked as a pop band ,whereas bands like the Stones and The Who didn't have the expectations and limitations of 'Beatlemania ' to worry about .

Macca also said (Quote) "We could’ve decided we’d reform by now or we could’ve got together for big anniversaries or a big charity gig or something".

That is implying if it happened there is a huge likelihood it would have been a one-off Police-style, unlike a permanent reunion where they went on to make more and more music from then on.

He also said "It wasn't really a good idea then but I think if this much time had elapsed, I could easily see it happening".

That is saying if all four had of lived to the time of this interview (2010) it would have more than likely occurred some time in that 40-year gap since they split.

Glad to finally get a bit of a debate going on here, much more akin to what boards.ie is made for.

Advertisement