Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mistaken identity!

Options
  • 17-05-2012 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

So today I was hurrying along to meet a friend who was giving me a lift somewhere.Ii was finsihing off a smoke and saw a woman and who I presume were her two teenage kids sitting on a bench.

The mother screeches out to me 'have you got a spare fag?' to which I shake my head as I hurry past.

The 'son' then says, 'well, f*ck off back to Poland then' :D

I am not Polish, never even been there, but am curious as to why someone would say that out of nowehere. :D

:p:p:p

Anyone else here been mistaken for another nationality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

it's because you shook your head instead of speaking. You were either Polish or mute, they took a punt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i always tell those irish scroungers to learn to live within their means..
    the irish ones can get dole, ra, and even child benefit if they have kids...

if they cant afford fags then they need to quit or learn to budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

No. :rolleyes:

phasers wrote: »
    it's because you shook your head instead of speaking. You were either Polish or mute, they took a punt.

Smoke was in my mouth at the time but yeah, maybe. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The mother screeches out to me 'have you got a spare fag?' to which I shake my head as I hurry past.

I like the fact their requirement for Polish immigration is a spare cigarette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I have sallow skin and dark hair, I have been asked if I'm Spanish. I always reply "aye, I am to be sure", in my Donegal accent :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

When I was younger I used to get taken for a Spanish exchange student a lot :mad:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Possibility you could look slightly eastern european? you might have a distant slavic ancestor.

Had a shop worker in templebar approach me and start speaking spanish to me once, they apologised profusely when I explained I didn't speak spanish and came from the wesht.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They noticed that you didn't use the proper response to "Have you got a spare fag?", which is "**** off ya dole scrounger!"

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

I have sallow skin and dark hair, I have been asked if I'm Spanish. I always reply "aye, I am to be sure", in my Donegal accent :O

I have pale skin and red hair- admittedly dyed- so couldn't look more Irish and still get mistaken as polish! Wish i looked Spanish!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Yup.

Used to work in a Centra, and while serving a woman at the checkout one day the guy behind her was staring at me saying "go back to Poland, go back to Poland" over and over, even while I was serving him, and my thick country accent proved I wasn't Polish...

I do have dark hair and sallow skin, have been asked if I'm Spanish or have Spanish roots before, but nope, I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

A Slovakian co-worker once told me I didn't look Irish as I looked more like I was made from stone than other Irish people.
    Still not sure if that was a compliment or not.

I don't believe it anyway, as I look like Sinéad O'Connor, and she's Irish.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Possibility you could look slightly eastern european? you might have a distant slavic ancestor.

Had a shop worker in templebar approach me and start speaking spanish to me once, they apologised profusely when I explained I didn't speak spanish and came from the wesht.

Father's side is Danish, I am very fair. Must mean I look Polish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Domo230 wrote: »
    Don't walk so slowly while taking up half the street with your pals and you won't be.
    I didn't have any pals :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

So today I was hurrying along to meet a friend who was giving me a lift somewhere.Ii was finsihing off a smoke and saw a woman and who I presume were her two teenage kids sitting on a bench.

I am not Polish, never even been there, but am curious as to why someone would say that out of nowehere. :D

:p:p:p

Anyone else here been mistaken for another nationality?

You should have told him to **** back off in to his daddy's ballsack. He'd be still trying to figure out which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I used to be mistaken for either "French or Italian" by some people.

It was probably the beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I get mistaken for Russian a fair bit. Twice in one day once. I asked my friends if they didn't know I was Irish, where would they think I was from and 90% said Russia too :confused: I've been told it's because I've got dark hair and light eyes but I would've thought that those were fairly standard Irish characteristics as well? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

OP were you dressed all in black and standing in the doorway to a pub/club per chance with an ear piece and a neck as thick as your thigh??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

People think it's funny to point out that I look like the Western depiction of Jesus, so maybe they think I'm Israeli.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

frag420 wrote: »
    OP were you dressed all in black and standing in the doorway to a pub/club per chance with an ear piece and a neck as thick as your thigh??

I think if all bouncers were called sunflower27, and had to wear large, brightly-coloured nametags, the world much be a much better place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Pakistani. Purely on the basis that I worked in a call centre.

Although the callers exact description was Paki Ba$tard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

another, i look foreign or was mistaken for being foreign because of my lovely tan, thread now

ugh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Spare fag? Not at 9.45 a pack I don't, I'm constantly harranged by strangers outside Heuston station looking for cigarette hand outs, very annoying altogether.

To address your question OP I've sallow skin and brown eyes so I've often been asked do I have some foreign connection. The auld Spanish Armada gene lives. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

A woman in France last summer was asking me for directions and I just couldn't remember the French word for what I was trying to tell her (roundabout or dual carriageway or something...) - so, trying to find another common language, she says (in French) "What's your native language? Arabic?".

I have red hair and very pale skin. What Arabic-speaking country does she think I'm from?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Father's side is Danish, I am very fair. Must mean I look Polish :)

how you doin'?;)

They sound like a delightful family :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

maybe you're just hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

While on a school trip, French people thought I was French (yet mysteriously, surrounded by Irish or English students).
    I don't have a comically big nose, but my comically small head and face makes it look that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I was presenting a radio show a cuple of years ago, and some tool text the station asking when did the start employing Neil Delamere :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

you should have told him to f**K off back to Mongolia

ignorance is bliss

Advertisement