Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Narrowing down the Geography course?

Options
  • 15-05-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Been neglecting Geography a lot lately and badly need to get the A2 in June. Do you think i'd be ok if I cut the course down to the following topics:

Physical
    • Structures of Deformation
    • Formation of Sedimentary Rock
    • Formation of Metamorphic Rock
    • Landform Development (Waterfall)
    • Geothermal Energy
    • Human interaction with Surface Processes
    • Surface Feature formed by Limestone
    • Underground Feature formed by Limestone
    • 2 Types of Weathering
    • How Isostatic Change has effected the Irish Landscape

Regional
    • Ireland: Teritary Activities, Urban Region + Sketch Map
    • Paris: Primary, Secondary, Teritary, Urban Region, Sketch Map
    • Mezzogiorno: Primary, Secondary
    • SW USA- Primary, Secondary, Teritary, Urban Region, Sketch Map
    • 2 Implications of EU Expanion on Ireland

Human Elective
    • Differences between Population Density & Distribution
    • Effects of Overpopulation
    • 2 Changes in patterns of Irish Migration
    • Impact of Migration on Donor and Receiver Regions
    • Rural Settlement
    • Historic Settlement
    • Model of Urban Land Use Zone (Burgress Concentric Zone Model)
    • Changing Land Use in Ireland
    • Central Place Theory
    • Urban Problems in Developed World
    • Urban Problems in Developing World

Geoecology
    • Characteristics of a Soil
    • Human Interaction with Soil
    • Plant/Animal Adaptations to Soil
    • Human Interaction with a Biome

34 Essays, 4 Option Essays & 3 Sketch Maps :confused::(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Looking at this is making me feel sick cus I've basically gotta learn all of these too :L :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I don't think they'd ask for s specifically underground or surface landform, just learn a surface That's one essay out of the way sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

That's basically my exact list of essays, except I'm not doing the isostatic processes. My Geography teacher said you'll need at most 20 essays to get an A, but I honestly don't know how to even begin to try narrowing it down. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

34 Essays, 4 Option Essays & 3 Sketch Maps :confused::([/Quote]

From you writing that list out has really helped me!! Im gna learn those essays off ! Got 12 of them alredy learnt its a really tedius subject i think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

34 Essays, 4 Option Essays & 3 Sketch Maps :confused::(

From you writing that list out has really helped me!! Im gna learn those essays off ! Got 12 of them alredy learnt its a really tedius subject i think!![/QUOTE]

Nice user name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Im not 100% certain but I think you MAY have to cover either coastal or river or glacial processes in detail.
    Rivers is the easiest.
    You can bull the other 2 in short Q's and part As.
    Oh and you'd be better off doing an igneous rock instead of metamorphic.
    Sedimentary and igneous rocks get changed into metamorphic so you could bull that one if you had them 2 done.
    Cant think of anything else right now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Hi PictureFrame I do not think you need to learn that much essays.I do not have much time to stop and write down the ones I am learning(Which I believe may be enough). Just quick question would you not say learn characteristics of biome instead of a soil question.It is much easier imo :P

David1994 wrote: »
    Hi PictureFrame I do not think you need to learn that much essays.I do not have much time to stop and write down the ones I am learning(Which I believe may be enough). Just quick question would you not say learn characteristics of biome instead of a soil question.It is much easier imo :P

Well from what I find, I can get full marks in the soil one in 2.5 pages. But more importantly, the biome characteristics has come up the last two years, so it's quite unlikely to come up again, while the soils question is very likely to come up.

Wesc. wrote: »
    Well from what I find, I can get full marks in the soil one in 2.5 pages. But more importantly, the biome characteristics has come up the last two years, so it's quite unlikely to come up again, while the soils question is very likely to come up.

Fair enough but the characteristics could come up..:P Anyway ye I know its just not necessarily needed to know 3 soils questions.I was just trying to help by giving him what I think is an easier option to do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

David1994 wrote: »
    Thanks for the opinion! I got 74/80 in the Mocks in the Characteristics of a Soil question so I think i'm going to stick with that one! Guys i'm freaking out, the Geography exams on in 24 days and I haven't learnt any of those essays yet. What am I going to do! :(

I think I may take Friday off school and try and get the Physical and Regional sections completely learnt, no excuses, just get them done and finished. 23 essays and 3 Sketch Maps would probably take me 12-14 hours to learn but I think at this stage I just have to get it done. I'm running out of time and i'm starting to freak out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I really really recommend the book "Exam Skills Geography" by Sue Honan, it has sample answers for everything and it's nicely organised.

Thanks for the opinion! I got 74/80 in the Mocks in the Characteristics of a Soil question so I think i'm going to stick with that one! Guys i'm freaking out, the Geography exams on in 24 days and I haven't learnt any of those essays yet. What am I going to do! :(

I think I may take Friday off school and try and get the Physical and Regional sections completely learnt, no excuses, just get them done and finished. 23 essays and 3 Sketch Maps would probably take me 12-14 hours to learn but I think at this stage I just have to get it done. I'm running out of time and i'm starting to freak out.

Ok no problem :D I got 74/80 in my characteristics of a biome haha :P
    But learning essays wise,I have had to try and learn 3 essays a night or even have them fresh in my head.It is very annoying having to learn off all these essays while having other subjects to worry about too :(
    I think from now on I am going to study Geography after 10 :( I will have to do this so I can get my other subjects out of the way during the day.

I hope I get my A1 after all this....Even A2..Just an A!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

Culture wouldn't be a bad one to learn either, I don't think culture in a sub-continental region has come up in a while so if you want to keep it minimum i'd go for that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Your not really narrowing it down at all....I'm leaving a lot more stuff out, I've been examining previous years aswell as trends and I'm fairly confident that I'll be covered. (Touch Wood)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 asdjklf

To be honest, you'd be a fool to not look over Earthquakes. They're basically guaranteed to come up becaues of Japan.
    Learn as much about them and as many statistics on the Japanese earthquake as possible... Statistics count as SRP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

asdjklf wrote: »
    To be honest, you'd be a fool to not look over Earthquakes. They're basically guaranteed to come up becaues of Japan.
    Learn as much about them and as many statistics on the Japanese earthquake as possible... Statistics count as SRP's.

Only a specific amount of them do. Filling your answer with statistics will not get you full marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

What does everyone think about the Landform development question. Would you be ok if you just studied a waterfall or would i have to know another one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

bobjimmy wrote: »
    What does everyone think about the Landform development question. Would you be ok if you just studied a waterfall or would i have to know another one.
    Learn a meander too/instead. I learned a beach for my mocks and they did an OS map which had no waterfall on it so I was lucky, and I wouldnt be surprised if the real exam did that to catch people out!

Personally I'll know my beach but I'm going to look over meanders. Beaches are almost always on the map, but a meander is pretty much a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

But this was the question in 2010

Examine, with the aid of a labelled diagram or diagrams, the processes that have
    led to the formation of any one Irish landform of erosion or deposition of your
    choice.

It says or so if a meander is formed by both deposition and erosion would you not only get half marks..

Ok, for Physical- I have the following essays written up to learn tomorrow/Saturday and i'm not learning any more Physical essays!
    • Formation of Metamorphic Rocks
    • Plate Tectonics and the occurence of Earthquakes
    • Geothermal Energy (Human Interaction with the Rock Cycle)
    • Human Interaction with Fluvial Processes
    • Formation of Sedimentary Rocks
    • Formation of a Limestone Pavement
    • Measurement and Effect of Earthquakes
    • 2 Types of Weathering
    • Isostatic Change

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Yeah thats true - thats why I learn a beach too. But they could also say (as they did last year) to find a feature on the map formed by glacial/fluvial/coastal processes, and if there's no waterfall there then you're out of luck.

Its ridiculous nowadays it can take me an hour to learn an essay..I used to learn them like super fast! :( How are you going about learning them PictureFrame?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I really hope the paper wasn't like last years I actually found it difficult ,
    and then when they put on isostatic processes my teacher had been saying that never comes up you don't really need to know it and it came up.

I need to go back over regional then finish going over the option essay and finish writing the biomes then learn them. I've got all my elective written up. I just need to do historic settlements I think that comes up most years and I do know it sort of I just need a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Could someone narrow down the human elective to what essays i should learn really stuck!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

They only long essays for physical Im learning are:
    Limestone
    Granite
    Karst landscape
    Surface features
    Geothermal energy
    Waterfall
    Meander
    Floodplain
    Dam
    Isotatic change

Everything else just needs to be covered in small detail for short Qs and part As. Well for me anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I'm gonna be using your list Pictureframe :p

Cheers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

Ok, for Physical- I have the following essays written up to learn tomorrow/Saturday and i'm not learning any more Physical essays!
    • Formation of Metamorphic Rocks
    • Plate Tectonics and the occurence of Earthquakes
    • Geothermal Energy (Human Interaction with the Rock Cycle)
    • Human Interaction with Fluvial Processes
    • Formation of Sedimentary Rocks
    • Formation of a Limestone Pavement
    • Measurement and Effect of Earthquakes
    • 2 Types of Weathering
    • Isostatic Change

I'm learning this exclusively, if I don't do well in this section it's on you

skanger wrote: »

Yeah I tend to copy what PF is doing too :P

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I'm gonna be using your list Pictureframe :p

Cheers!
    skanger wrote: »
    Wesc. wrote: »
    Yeah I tend to copy what PF is doing too :P

PRESSURE. OVERLOAD.

Guys I haven't even started studying for Geography yet! Arggghhh. :(

I'm gonna try and get all the Physical, Regional and a Soil essay out of the way by tomorrow evening (even though I have to go feckin' shopping for Grad Mass clothers :pac:) I think I have something like 3 more Regional essays to write out, so i'm gonna try and get those wrote up tomorrow morning early and start learning by about 8am! ROLL ON THE FUN TIMES.

• Advertisement

PRESSURE. OVERLOAD.

Guys I haven't even started studying for Geography yet! Arggghhh. :(

I'm gonna try and get all the Physical, Regional and a Soil essay out of the way by tomorrow evening (even though I have to go feckin' shopping for Grad Mass clothers :pac:) I think I have something like 3 more Regional essays to write out, so i'm gonna try and get those wrote up tomorrow morning early and start learning by about 8am! ROLL ON THE FUN TIMES.

Well you better get studying :P I had to learn the whole course course AGAIN today, but it's fairly cemented in the brain now! Just doing out one more option and I'm done :D Y'know, since you said you were covering animal and plant adaptations and all...

Advertisement