Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the EU doomed?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

the only thing that has happened is.

people borrowed more than they can pay back.
    I think you'll find it was much more complex than this; credit default swaps, insurance issues, untruths regarding valuations, etc.
    the eu, stops countries making their own decisions, one fix fits all.
    If you're referring to the Compact, then you're incorrect. A percentage decrease per annum is dictated and must be implemented into national legislation but it is up to individual Member States to implement the "decisions" on how they will reduce their deficit.
    and the social costs are not sustainable in the eu countries.
    Explain...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AVN_1

oscarBravo wrote: »
    So if we eliminated every employee of the European Union, the EU would suddenly start working better?

Fair enough - now I know not to bother trying to have a sensible discussion with you.

1) We should transfer powers back to the states and minimize the number of Eurocrats in Brussels.

2) Do't blame others for the lack of skills you have

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

AVN_1 wrote: »
    1) We should transfer powers back to the states and minimize the number of Eurocrats in Brussels.
    Minimise? I thought you wanted to eliminate them all. Which is it?

What powers should be transferred back to the states, and how many "Eurocrats" should be left in Brussels?
    2) Do't blame others for the lack of skills you have
    If trying to engage in intelligent debate with someone who shows no interest in reciprocating is a skill, it's one I'm quite content to do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AVN_1

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Minimise? I thought you wanted to eliminate them all. Which is it?

Either significantly restructure the EU and substantially minimize the number of the Eurocrats or abandon the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭1stimpressions

There seems to be a big push on boards in the last few days with lots of new members. I'm certain I don't have the patience that some others do on here to keep on making such clear and rational posts on the issues. But I very much enjoy reading it. You are doing a great service fleshing out the issues.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

AVN_1 wrote: »
    Either significantly restructure the EU and substantially minimize the number of the Eurocrats or abandon the EU.
    What powers should be transferred back to the states, and how many "Eurocrats" should be left in Brussels?

Anyone would think you didn't have any actual answers, just recycled rhetoric.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭BettyM

Certainly if the Euro collapses its likely to have a significant impact on the EU.

The implosion of the Euro seems more and more likely as even the German banks now look like they are being dragged into the game, with 6 German banks, including the Giant Commerzbank, having been downgraded in their credit rating due to exposure to other insolvent banks.

The longer this game plays out, the more it seems we are unable to stop the inevitable, and the more the Euro resembles a sort of fiscal tower of babel.

Worrying about which powers to transfer back or forth seems to be an irrelevance until this sorry mess comes to its inevitable conclusion.

Advertisement