Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Coordinates of buoys in Cork Harbour

Options
  • 14-05-2012 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me the coordinates for various buoys in Cork Harbour. I'm due to row the Ocean to City in a few weeks in a boat without a cox, so I'll be navigating myself with a GPS and looking over my shoulder.
    The Buoys needed are as follows: Crosshaven C4, Crosshaven C2, Crosshaven C2A, W1(Near Roches Point), E1(Near Roches Point), 3, 5 , 8, (Last three from around Roches point to Spike Island), Spit Bank Lighthouse, 15, 17, R1, R9, R13.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Sorry, I can't help you (other than to suggest getting a chart and taking the information from that), but would like to point out an obvious flaw in this strategy; putting the waypoints into your GPS means that you will consciously be heading directly for the buoy (distance, bearing info etc.).

It's probably wise to build in a margin of error/safety to stop this happening, especially if you are looking astern predominantly. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lochgarman512

Thanks for the reply. I'm well used to navigating with a GPS while rowing. I more use the waypoints to head in the right direction until I'm within 150m of the buoy and then judge my bearing by sight.

Any idea what price the cheapest charts would be? Since I'll only be using them once.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

About 30/40 quid for the whole river I'd imagine. If you're only going to be using them once, then could you borrow them for an hour or so from a friend/club/friendly skipper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

The lights are Here so spit bank is covered, but not the buoys. I thought I'd seen them before but can't figure out how to toggle them on. If you can get visuals on vessels with AIS Transponders (the harbour tugs and pilot seem to have them) and cross reference it you might get a rough set of co-ords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Sorry, I can't help you (other than to suggest getting a chart and taking the information from that), but would like to point out an obvious flaw in this strategy; putting the waypoints into your GPS means that you will consciously be heading directly for the buoy (distance, bearing info etc.).

It's probably wise to build in a margin of error/safety to stop this happening, especially if you are looking astern predominantly. ;)

There are two for the harbour. I think 1777 would cover you, altough anything further up than Monkstown ish you will need 1773 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you go www.marinetraffic.com the map gives gps positions of most buoys.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

I've a Magellan XL400 programmed with the major nav aids in Ireland. I've used it around Cork harbour and it seemed to have any buoys I checked in passing. The battery is dead and I haven't gotten round to replacing it but I have the charger. I'll see if it powers up on the charger without the battery. If you're still stuck you could borrow it to get the co-ords of the buoys

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

The attached should be accurate as I took them from a Navionics Chart, I had to attach it as a word document otherwise it looses the formatting when i copy and past it here

Advertisement