Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Range / Fuel efficiency of outboards

Options
  • 14-05-2012 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Right so I am thinking of finally getting into boating for pleasure.

The boat I'm looking at has a 50hp Mercury outboard engine. Would anyone have an idea of-
    1. How many litres these engines take
    2. The range in miles / kms that a full tank could get me

Any other comments appreicated. I'm especially interested to hear if boating is expensive on fuel, how would it compare to a car for the same distance ?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The two stroke will give you 7.7 MPG and a four stroke will give 10.7 MPG or 40 litres this is in a 16 foot boat about 860 lbs so it can change a lot depending what boat you get. The size of the fuel tank is up to you and what you will be using the boat for I always carry a spare can of fuel just incase.

If you are new to boating you are welcome to join us http://Powerboat.iwai.ie/ for a bit of fun:D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

RATM wrote: »
    I'm especially interested to hear if boating is expensive on fuel,

Don't expect to your 50hp to go all day on 20-30 euro. A day spinning around or pulling tubes or skiers can go through the wallet a bit. I was given a good bit of advice when I started out with my first boat , i was told that if I constantly have to be worrying about how much fuel I can afford to go out in ,then try hill walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭decskelligs

As we don't know the size and weight of your boat as a rough guide that we used is an engine will use a gallon per hour per 10 hp. e.g 50 hp at full throttle will burn 5 gallons/per hour.
    This is not an exact measurement but the company i worked for had numerous boats from 5hp up to 250hp and this worked to gauge our fuel consumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

As we don't know the size and weight of your boat as a rough guide that we used is an engine will use a gallon per hour per 10 hp. e.g 50 hp at full throttle will burn 5 gallons/per hour.
    This is not an exact measurement but the company i worked for had numerous boats from 5hp up to 250hp and this worked to gauge our fuel consumption.

Wow, I had never known that water engines were so fuel inefficient (total noob to boating here:o)

So even if I went at half throttle in a 50hp it would use 5 x 5 gallons which is somewhere around 22 lites, yes? My god so a three hour jaunt needs 65 litres of fuel so would cost upwards of €130, yes ?

I am not sure of the length or weight of boat but it is going to be (hopefully) a Zippa Stealth, like this one- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6V-N_rCG6c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭Tow

Wow, I had never known that water engines were so fuel inefficient (total noob to boating here:o)

I till remember one of the Greens on the radio, bosting how green he was to use the HSS and train rather than flying to London.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

outboards have what is called a cruising speed it's pretty much go to full throttle and then pull back 1/4 or so that your spark advance is at full but your carbs aren't fully open.There you find your best fuel efficient setting for your outboard, but I have spent a day pullling tubes and spinnning around with a 60hp and haven't spent near E130 more like E80 , hope that helps.
    It is a great way to spend the day and if you fish ... well then it can be even better at times :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

So even if I went at half throttle in a 50hp it would use 5 x 5 gallons which is somewhere around 22 lites, yes? My god so a three hour jaunt needs 65 litres of fuel so would cost upwards of €130, yes ?

I am not sure of the length or weight of boat but it is going to be (hopefully) a Zippa Stealth, like this one- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6V-N_rCG6c

Here is one for sale http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/3289860 these are very light little boats so about as cheep a boat you could run, they can be hard work on the arms and back so not the type of boat you would spend the day at WOT bouncing off the waves more like a few hours a bit like a jet ski.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Does this sound right? 2 STROKE !

- Full speed: 11.5 gallons an hour = 43 liters = 68 euro
    - 4,000 revs she will burn about 20 liters = 32 euro an hour
    - 2,000 revs 10 liters an hour = 15 euro an hour

- 3 hours sking stopping and starting - best speed is 2,500 revs?? prob cost 30 euro? boat is 18.5 foot fiberglass sports fishing boat sea fox heavy enough ..not 100% sure of the weight but think 700kg... era just nice to have some idea eh?? dont wanna feel bad taking 20 quid of a friend who skies if thats not about right!

As a rule of thumb if you just put a decimal point in one place to the left of the horsepower you will get the fuel consumption at W.O.T "wide open throttle" so your 115 will run as you said 11.5 gallons an hour :D
    You will be lucky to get much skiing done for €30 as you will be using more fuel getting the skier out of the hole and you will find it very hard to keep the rev's down low when you get up and going. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colliemcc

fergal.b wrote: »
    As a rule of thumb if you just put a decimal point in one place to the left of the horsepower you will get the fuel consumption at W.O.T "wide open throttle" so your 115 will run as you said 11.5 gallons an hour :D
    You will be lucky to get much skiing done for €30 as you will be using more fuel getting the skier out of the hole and you will find it very hard to keep the rev's down low when you get up and going. :D

and that was last years fuel prices.

I ski and wakeboard most weekends and it costs me about 40 for 2 hours.

• Advertisement

colliemcc wrote: »

Cool - but what size engine have u - (i take it its 2 stroke) & a fiberglass boat or about 18 foot - with around 4 people??

Gonna get the fuel gauge fixed soon!!!!!!!!!!

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    colliemcc wrote: »

Cool - but what size engine have u - (i take it its 2 stroke) & a fiberglass boat or about 18 foot - with around 4 people??

Gonna get the fuel gauge fixed soon!!!!!!!!!!

no mine is a 4.3 but i think any boat pulling a skier or ring will use about the same.

I suppose the best way to find out for sure is fill her up in the petrol station! go out for a burn and then fill her up again - bit of a balls with a lwb van - or else just get a fuel tank and fill her up when shes almost empty! or get the fuel gauge fixed!

Would have thought a 4.3 inboard would use a lot more than a 115 2008 outboard?? even at the same speed - perhaps not though

I wakeboard off mine so not start off as fast or going as hard as with wakeboarding you tend to drive slower. so might be round the same

Advertisement