Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**spoilers** UFC TV Deal in UK **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Existing Channel such as FX.
    TV is gonna be replaced by the internet very soon, maybe these "99.5%" of people need to start to catch up with the times, all major tv companys have online live streaming already, it's the way things are going in my opinion

To use extended display you just right click on your desktop and go into your Graphic properties, if using windows 7, otherwise a quick google search can explain step by step how its done, it's really not a big deal

Im not sure ESPN does come free with UPC anyway, i know it does with SKY but a lot of my mates have UPC and cant get it free, this defo used to be the case, so correct me if im wrong please

I know in France they either dont have a TV deal, or didnt recently and used to allow free streaming on ufc.tv and dailymotion, aswell as free full event replays for the French, so it's not unprecedented

I don't think we are gonna agree here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I don't necessarily disagree, but what are the heap of reasons?

If they don't want the UFC then why did they take a season of TUF?

Them taking a season of TUF was in my view to test their market in relation to the UFC.

Sky are cutting back their boxing coverage and have let a good few promoters go from their stable of promoters. They only have the Matchroom stable (Froch, Brook's, Frampton's and Barker's promoter) and they have Amir Khan.

Also, I think the fact the UK have no real serious threat to a title is another reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

It suits me that it stays with ESPN because I have it for only a couple of euro extra a month with UPC. (Even though the ESPN coverage can be poor at times).
    If it went to Sky it'd do my head in because I can only imagine the crazy hype they'd be spewing out regarding all the British fighters, mainly Bisping and Hardy.
    It's been discussed hundreds of times in here and the general consensus was always that if Sky did get it, they wouldnt charge for ppv's right away because they'd ruin the sport over this side of the water.
    I reckon Sky don't see it as a major earner for them and that's why they haven't gotten it yet. It's probably only a matter of time though.
    I'd much prefer to pay a premium for a dedicated channel, possibly owned by Zuffa, which showed mma content 24hrs a day. Stuff like countdown shows, primetimes, specials on fighters etc etc.
    And if it showed all UFC and Strikeforce events it'd be brilliant. I wonder have Zuffa put any thought into this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

As far as I'm aware, ESPN is not free with Sky in the Uk, so in essence, people there are willing to pay extra for it. Maybe Sky have looked at their numbers and just thought it not worth it.

Why is there **Spoilers** in the thread title now??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

SevereMMA wrote: »
    Im not sure ESPN does come free with UPC anyway

Aye, it is yeah, if you're subscribed to Sky Sports (so if you have Sky, you have ESPN). I just saw an ad saying it the other week, though, so it could be a new thing. But the fact is that Sky can't claim to have a bigger reach than ESPN anymore, they're pretty much on a level playing field in terms of numbers.

The consensus of most figureheads in the business is that Internet integration in TV is the future, not that the Internet will replace it. For anything to appeal to a mass market, it needs to be easy and accessible to use. TV's offer this, Internet streaming (even in its simplest form, like Netflix) requires effort from the user. So the net has to find a way to fit into television, not the other way around.

I'm happy to leave it, by the way, but before we do: when was the last time UFC had a PPV in France? :p
    Dean09 wrote: »
    And if it showed all UFC and Strikeforce events it'd be brilliant. I wonder have Zuffa put any thought into this yet?

I'd love that, though I really doubt it'd go ahead. The NFL Network had serious trouble getting off the ground in the States, and if NFL isn't a guaranteed success there, then other sports wouldn't stand a chance.

Now if Sky were to roll out the red carpet for UFC, as they did with Formula 1, that would be something I'd love. But it's miles away from having the guaranteed fanbase, that F1 has, to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

TV is gonna be replaced by the internet very soon

Define very soon. How long are you saying because the broadband infrastructure is currently not in place here or in the UK for broadcast television to be overtaken by the internet.

Next 5 years i would say (obviously a guess, i dont claim to have divine knowledge on the subject), it has already started, and the internet in Ireland (100mb) is good enough to stream full HD, i have done it, and its better quality picture than RTE or any other SD channel

UFC know this is the way things are going, that's why they stream Facebook prelims, and UFC.tv prelims and main cards, and i would guess that once the sport has grown more, the UFC will set up there own channel on the internet, with UFC content all day

How many more people are watching The Olympics online, than were watching it online 4 and 8 years ago? it is the way things are going

Streams 2 years ago were like 300-600k, now they on average 4-5 times the quality, even higher in some cases

Next 5 years i would say (obviously a guess, i dont claim to have divine knowledge on the subject), it has already started, and the internet in Ireland (100mb) is good enough to stream full HD, i have done it, and its better quality picture than RTE or any other SD channel

100mb is not everywhere. You go to a non UPC area and try signing up for 100mb. It wont happen. Only other place I can think of is Dungarvan in Co. Waterford where 120mb is on offer. The streams you are referring to are in no way designed to replace broadcast television. They only compliment it.

Really? What's the max available speed in non UPC areas? Where is it UPC don't cover?

In 5 years time surely UPC will have 100mb+ everywhere in Ireland? If UPC don't i'd guess some other company will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

More people are watching stuff online, but TV won't be abandoned.

And if it is, it's bad for the consumer IMO, especially those who want to watch the streams legally.

Right now i don't have to pay ~$50 to watch a PPV. I get ESPN as part of my Sports package and for the money I pay I get ALL major sports competitions. That suits me much better than paying PPV prices every 2 weeks.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    More people are watching stuff online, but TV won't be abandoned.

And if it is, it's bad for the consumer IMO, especially those who want to watch the streams legally.

Right now i don't have to pay ~$50 to watch a PPV. I get ESPN as part of my Sports package and for the money I pay I get ALL major sports competitions. That suits me much better than paying PPV prices every 2 weeks.

I don't think it will ever be $50 for a PPV in UK & Ireland due to air times, i cant see it but if it ever is then that would most likely mean that the sport has grown into the mainstream and is huge, even then i dont see it

I don't think it will ever be $50 for a PPV in UK & Ireland due to air times, i cant see it but if it ever is then that would most likely mean that the sport has grown into the mainstream and is huge, even then i dont see it

Well you're talking 5 years down the line.

Where you say "How many people are watching the Olympics online than 4 years ago" you could also say "How many more people are watching MMA than they were 6-7 years ago".

Late night broadcasts have been PPV for Boxing before and are done for WWE on a regular basis.

Your leap from the TV/Online setup now and it in 5 years is no more or less plausible than me saying "I believe UFC will be €30 on PPV in 5 years time".

(btw, I don't think it'll be PPV in 5 years at all, i'm just using it as an example).

Well you're talking 5 years down the line.

Where you say "How many people are watching the Olympics online than 4 years ago" you could also say "How many more people are watching MMA than they were 6-7 years ago".

Late night broadcasts have been PPV for Boxing before and are done for WWE on a regular basis.

Your leap from the TV/Online setup now and it in 5 years is no more or less plausible than me saying "I believe UFC will be €30 on PPV in 5 years time".

(btw, I don't think it'll be PPV in 5 years at all, i'm just using it as an example).

Not really the same in my opinion, because i said watching online. I was referencing the fact that more people have started to watch their favourite sports/programs online, and not on TV, maybe ive missed ur point here?

I think it's more plausible than €30 PPV's because the wheels have already long been set in motion

How much does it cost a month to have SKY HD with all the sports channels etc needed to have all UFC events? I'd guess over €100 per month? (maybe wrong), its not exactly cheap itself and the internet streaming sites i use at the moment are already better than UPC "digital"

Not really the same in my opinion, because i said watching online. I was referencing the fact that more people have started to watch their favourite sports/programs online, and not on TV, maybe ive missed ur point here?

Im just saying your logic is based on growth in numbers of those watchins stuff online.
    There is a similar growth ion numbers of those interested in MMA and watching MMA.
    How much does it cost a month to have SKY HD with all the sports channels etc needed to have all UFC events? I'd guess over €100 per month? (maybe wrong), its not exactly cheap itself and the internet streaming sites i use at the moment are already better than UPC "digital"

Once you have Sky tv, the Sports pack is an extra €34 a month. Less than the price of 1 US UFC PPV!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

Well if ESPN loose the UFC, what would ESPN try to replace it with, Strikeforce. Still reckon ESPN will try to hold it, if their's no UFC on it then their's little perscription, but if no UFC and MMA Live and that's the end of my ESPN perscription, I wouldn't pay to f**king Sky regardless.

Im just saying your logic is based on growth in numbers of those watchins stuff online.
    There is a similar growth ion numbers of those interested in MMA and watching MMA.

Oh i see, sorry

I don't know figures but i would guess that alot of people who used to buy PPVs in the US are now watching streams, this would account for the ever sliding PPV numbers (bar UFC 148 which is rumoured to have done slightly over 1 million)
    Once you have Sky tv, the Sports pack is an extra €34 a month. Less than the price of 1 US UFC PPV!

Ok but you need Sky to get the Sports pack, do you know what the combined cost is?

Does the HD box also cost? i think it does

So it would cost €34 a month for ESPN minimum (let's say u dont want Sky Sports etc because you only like MMA) and this allows you to watch all 2-3 (sometimes less) UFC PPVs a month (setting aside the fact that they don't show prelims and cut between blank (or green/blue) screens, sorry messages)

If the UFC were to open their own UFC online channel for €17 (half of getting ESPN) a month, with their own HD streams on UFC.tv, would you be willing to pay that?

If UFC did that then all you would need is a HDMI cable (if u want it to display on ur TV) and a computer or mobile phone (like Galaxy SIII)

Oh i see, sorry

I don't know figures but i would guess that alot of people who used to buy PPVs in the US are now watching streams, this would account for the ever sliding PPV numbers (bar UFC 148 which is rumoured to have done slightly over 1 million)

Yes but are we talking legal or illegal streams here?
    Ok but you need Sky to get the Sports pack, do you know what the combined cost is?

Not sure, I think it's approx €70 or so?
    Does the HD box also cost? i think it does

With Sky yes but i don't have HD subscription.
    So it would cost €34 a month for ESPN minimum (let's say u dont want Sky Sports etc because you only like MMA) and this allows you to watch all 2-3 (sometimes less) UFC PPVs a month (setting aside the fact that they don't show prelims and cut between blank (or green/blue) screens, sorry messages)

If the UFC were to open their own UFC online channel for €17 (half of getting ESPN) a month, with their own HD streams on UFC.tv, would you be willing to pay that?

Well i'm not so sure. At the moment i'm happy with the set up because that €17 you propose is an EXTRA €17 i'd be paying on top of my Sports subscription.
    If UFC did that then all you would need is a HDMI cable (if u want it to display on ur TV) and a computer or mobile phone (like Galaxy SIII)

True. i watch all the prelims etc with a HDMI cable connected to my TV. But i wouldn't fancy paying €17 to watch the PPVs when I get them as part as a big sports package at the moment. Right now for that €34 I get pretty much every major sporting event worth watching all year round.

I'm talking legal and mainly illegal streams, people in the US have started to stop paying the $50 or whatever and instead pay $10 a month for a mma streaming site, or use a proxy and watch it through UFC.tv pretending to be in one of the countries without a tv/ppv deal

So you're paying over €70 (roughly) a month to watch UFC in standard definition (which is ridiculous) with constant f-ups from ESPN? (presuming you just watch MMA and not cricket, f1, football etc on Sky Sports etc)

Is there a cheaper legal way to watch UFC events live in Ireland than ordering Sky or UPC and the whole sports package?

Let's say there are 3 UFC events a month, and then 4-6 UFC Tonights, 4 UFC Ultimate Insiders, 3 countdowns, 1 primetime set of 3 episodes and more UFC/MMA content a month, all and more for only €17,

so even if you don't watch any of the hype content etc, you would be only pay less than €5.70 per UFC event and it would of course, with it being the 21st century, be in HD ;)

Is it even possible to watch UFC Tonight etc legally in the UK & Ireland at this time?

I see what you mean about paying for the sports package anyway and this being an extra expense but if you don't follow others sports with the same passion as MMA (or at all) then you wouldn't even need the Sky Sports package

In the meantime, while we wait for the internet to take over TV, i would love to see in on Sky Sports (better HD quality in Sky Go (Sky Player)) due to the reasons like Sky Sports News hyping the events for non-hardcore fans like us, growing the sport, ESPN barely even mention that the UFC is on that weekend in the week leading up

So you're paying over €70 (roughly) a month to watch UFC in standard definition (which is ridiculous) with constant f-ups from ESPN? (presuming you just watch MMA and not cricket, f1, football etc on Sky Sports etc)

No. I don't pay anything to watch UFC. I subscribe to the Sky Sports Package and pay accordingly. In the past I used to pay €15 per month for ESPN solely for UFC. Now it's a bonus channel.
    Is there a cheaper legal way to watch UFC events live in Ireland than ordering Sky or UPC and the whole sports package?

I honestly don't know but i'm pretty sure if UFC start selling it themselves it takes away much of the attractiveness from any TV partner willing to pay for the coverage.
    Let's say there are 3 UFC events a month, and then 4-6 UFC Tonights, 4 UFC Ultimate Insiders, 3 countdowns, 1 primetime set of 3 episodes and more UFC/MMA content a month, all and more for only €17,

so even if you don't watch any of the hype content etc, you would be only pay less than €5.70 per UFC event and it would of course, with it being the 21st century, be in HD ;)

True. But I get in SD right now for free :)
    Is it even possible to watch UFC Tonight etc legally in the UK & Ireland at this time?

it's on their You Tube page.
    In the meantime, while we wait for the internet to take over TV, i would love to see in on Sky Sports (better HD quality in Sky Go (Sky Player)) due to the reasons like Sky Sports News hyping the events for non-hardcore fans like us, growing the sport, ESPN barely even mention that the UFC is on that weekend in the week leading up

I agree. I was disappointed to hear the ESPN deal was extended.

• Advertisement

No. I don't pay anything to watch UFC. I subscribe to the Sky Sports Package and pay accordingly. In the past I used to pay €15 per month for ESPN solely for UFC. Now it's a bonus channel.

Sorry i meant that to be a hypothetical, let me rephrase

One has to pay over €70 (roughly) a month to watch UFC in standard definition (which is ridiculous) with constant f-ups from ESPN, presuming that person just want to watch MMA and not any other sport on Sky Sports?
    it's on their You Tube page.

I dont think it is, i believe they show short (3-5 min) clips from it and leave out some of the content, also when they post it the next day on youtube, its already old news, we need to be able to watch all UFC content LIVE, before its reported on all MMA sites and old news

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The problem with the whole deal is apart from Skysports. What other broadcasters are potential candidates to broadcast the UFC ?

I dont think it is, i believe they show short (3-5 min) clips from it and leave out some of the content, also when they post it the next day on youtube, its already old news, we need to be able to watch all UFC content LIVE, before its reported on all MMA sites and old news

This is why I wanted the ESPN deal over. They don'r care about UFC these days. Someone else could've gotten a crack of the whip.

Although, i'd say the fact it's only a 1 year extension says that they probably have something in the works or even something in mind.
    unknown13 wrote: »
    The problem with the whole deal is apart from Skysports. What other broadcasters are potential candidates to broadcast the UFC ?

The only one I can even think of is FX since they're owned by Fox and they already had TUF content.

Although that's a horrible option IMO

There aren't any other options really apart from maybe Setanta.
    Personally, as I said in an earlier post, I'd love a dedicated Zuffa channel, showing mma 24hrs a day including events. But realistically that won't happen because the sport isn't popular enough to have a dedicated channel which customers would have to pay for. It needs to get onto a mainstream sports channel to invite in new fans. ESPN ticks most of the boxes for this at the minute. This suits me as it only costs me an extra fiver or something with UPC. If ESPN improved their mma coverage then it'd be perfect but unfortunately it's still below par right now. Hopefully that'll change.

Really? What's the max available speed in non UPC areas? Where is it UPC don't cover?

In 5 years time surely UPC will have 100mb+ everywhere in Ireland? If UPC don't i'd guess some other company will

UPC only exists in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Waterford and Limerick and their broadband is not available to everyone in these towns.

UPC will not have 100mb+ everywhere in Ireland in 5 years time or even in the next 20 years imo. I also do not see how anyone else will either as the infrastructure is simply not there.

xxyyxx wrote: »
    UPC only exists in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Waterford and Limerick and their broadband is not available to everyone in these towns.

UPC will not have 100mb+ everywhere in Ireland in 5 years time or even in the next 20 years imo. I also do not see how anyone else will either as the infrastructure is simply not there.

In fact, my girlfriend lives in Dublin and even HER estate doesn't get UPC!

I didnt know this, can u get eircom there? I believe they do 24mb broadband which is more than enough to stream better quality than SD

I didnt know this, can u get eircom there? I believe they do 24mb broadband which is more than enough to stream better quality than SD

She has Eircom at the moment.

We used to have Eircom but they changed our package without telling us, put a download limit on our package when we had unlimited before and then sent us a bill for over-usage :eek:

So we cancelled and a few months later they did the exact same thing to my girlfriend. I suggested she switch to eircom but it's not available. They haven't put the cables in yet apparently!

They do up to 24mb and that is not available everywhere either. Many parts of the country have terrible broadband connections and other parts have no broaadband available to them at all

• Advertisement

I used to have Eircom and so did a lot of people I know.
    I wouldn't recommend them to anybody. The broadband is absolutely terrible!!
    They come around every so often claiming they've improved it but it's always the same poor service.
    If you're gonna be streaming events UPC is the way to go at the minute. Although I do understand it's not available everywhere. I live in Dublin and I only barely got it. The next estate to mine can't get it -- which is pretty ridiculous.

Advertisement