Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm still having trouble understanding the term "Mature games". Same as "Hardcore games/gamer". The Zelda and Metroid games aren't ones I would call immature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

It's just shorthand for "mature-rated"; Duke Nukem is mature-rated, but it's not "mature" in the sense you mean. I prefer "core" to "hardcore," because calling yourself "hardcore" sounds retarded, but there is a definite distinction between gamers who'll play Metroid and those who are only interested in WiiSports and the like. Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, and Metroid Prime are all examples of core games.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Kinski wrote: »
    It's just shorthand for "mature-rated"; Duke Nukem is mature-rated, but it's not "mature" in the sense you mean. I prefer "core" to "hardcore," because calling yourself "hardcore" sounds retarded, but there is a definite distinction between gamers who'll play Metroid and those who are only interested in WiiSports and the like. Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, and Metroid Prime are all examples of core games.

Yeah, I used to wonder, when I started hearing the "hardcore gamer" term, does that mean I'm a softcore gamer, who plays games but I cut away from the game just as the game's getting going and before I see too much? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone see any Wii U on sale in stores again yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I got a pre-order in hmv on Friday but I just got a call to ask me to come and collect it?

You could try HMV Henry street, seems they might be putting some on the shelf today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Anyone see any Wii U on sale in stores again yet.

yes hmv and smyths still have them in stock, gamestop out of stock untill next shipment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I saw them in tesco clarehall.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Could you do what I do with my other consoles? Component/HDMI to the TV, optical TV to Sound system

You can't do that on the Wii U, it has no support for optical cables and no licensing for Dolby Digital or DTS. The only multichannel audio it supports is LPCM through the HDMI cable.

abbir wrote: »
    You can't do that on the Wii U, it has no support for optical cables and no licensing for Dolby Digital or DTS. The only multichannel audio it supports is LPCM through the HDMI cable.

do get a HDMI cable with wii u, but your tv isnot HD, then you can connect to wii u using normal wii scart cable

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    do get a HDMI cable with wii u, but your tv isnot HD, then you can connect to wii u using normal wii scart cable

I was only talking about the possible audio options in response to someone talking about optical out.

• Advertisement

I was only talking about the possible audio options in response to someone talking about optical out.

well possible to change tv channels with gamepAD, then use own tv remote to use switch DTS use remote to change the channel on dts,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I was saying connect the Wii U to your TV via HDMI, then connect your TV (assuming it has optical out) to your sound system.

Pikmin 3 never came out, i got review of it in the last ONM that suppose arrive 30th November

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Skyrim for the wii u. Discuss!!

Please please please please please please port this for us wii u owners

Oh red dead too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Pikmin 3 never came out, i got review of it in the last ONM that suppose arrive 30th November

i'm fairly sure they didn't review it but previewed it. its be known for a couple of months that it wont be out until after xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

First-person games should be played on PC, or else you're doing it wrong ;) Actually I don't even like Elder Scrolls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

well possible to change tv channels with gamepAD, then use own tv remote to use switch DTS use remote to change the channel on dts,

The Wii U doesn't support DTS.
    I was saying connect the Wii U to your TV via HDMI, then connect your TV (assuming it has optical out) to your sound system.

Sorry yes you can do this. It's how I've it hooked up myself. However, you don't get surround sound this way, which is what I assume peteeeed wanted the optical out for.

Never got into pikmin games but this looks like so much fun :D

Never got into pikmin games but this looks like so much fun :D

I loved Pikmin on the Gamecube. It has been too long waiting for another sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've been reporting profiteers selling overpriced Wii U's on Adverts to beat the band, but none of the ads have been removed and there's more by the day!
    What gives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've been reporting profiteers selling overpriced Wii U's on Adverts to beat the band, but none of the ads have been removed and there's more by the day!
    What gives?

Dont think Adverts care about the ethics of it anymore, there were electric razors on the BA thread that sold for under 35 euro but people selling them for over 80 on Adverts. They weren't taken down, or if they were it took weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Evilbart

What gives?

Just as a matter of interest why does it bother you so much?

Evilbart wrote: »

Adverts used to be a community site where there were ethics and morals. Since daft.ie group bought adverts it is no longer a community site sadly it's a commercial entity so ethics are gone replaced with guys ripping people off profiteering etc. mods now don't take ads like that down anymore as daft want to maximise user numbers etc.
    in saying that the mods and admin are amazing but the site has recently gone to ****

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I loved Pikmin on the Gamecube. It has been too long waiting for another sequel.

Saw the wii version of this for a fiver (pre owned) in xtra vision rathgar today.

Please please please please please please port this for us wii u owners

Oh red dead too

Skyrim studio: Wii U is 'a possibility'

The studio behind The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, one of this year's big Christmas blockbusters, have told Official Nintendo Magazine that it is possible that they will work on Wii U in the future.

more from the link

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/30781/skyrim-studio-wii-u-is-a-possibility/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Pretty amazing it doesn't have a Dolby licence or an optical out, fecked if I'm buying the little fella another headset just for the Wii U.
    What gives?

I think they might have been paid ads, because they were always at the top of my list? Anyway, seems the mods are unwilling for some reason or other to enforce the sites own rules, me thinks its a money/number related thing as was mentioned.
    Evilbart wrote: »

The rules are there for everyone, in order to make the site friendlier, easier & safer to buy from. When rules are broken, in this case, such ads should be reported. Its not that it 'bothers' anyone, its just a case of the rules being there for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Wii U doesn't support DTS.

Sorry yes you can do this. It's how I've it hooked up myself. However, you don't get surround sound this way, which is what I assume peteeeed wanted the optical out for.

all these years i did not realise my tv had an optical out :) ]
    had a switcher between my 360 and ps3 but now i can at least use the wii though my tv optical

Wii Fit (Nintendo Wii U) didnt arrive either and it was one of games listed arrive on wii u launch Day according Nintendo official Magazine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Wii Fit (Nintendo Wii U) didnt arrive either and it was one of games listed arrive on wii u launch Day according Nintendo official Magazine

No it wasn't; it was launch window not launch day. They never listed it as such.

Advertisement