Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Think i'm looking at getting the basic one, just cos i want it in white. Probably just get nintndoland and zombieu on top of that. This aint gonna be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Think i'm looking at getting the basic one, just cos i want it in white. Probably just get nintndoland and zombieu on top of that. This aint gonna be cheap.

your probably gonna end up paying near to the cost of the zombieu pack

magnumbud wrote: »

your probably gonna end up paying near to the cost of the zombieu pack

Yeah, but then i'd have to pay for nintendoland anyway. I assume the sensor bar for the wii will do the same job as the one in the premium packs? And im working on the assumption that i wont NEED the pro controller for either of those games, would that be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

Yeah, but then i'd have to pay for nintendoland anyway. I assume the sensor bar for the wii will do the same job as the one in the premium packs? And im working on the assumption that i wont NEED the pro controller for either of those games, would that be right?

True on both accounts.
    I'm only getting the premium version because it's black.
    The extra space and the three plastic cradles I'll probably never use don't matter to me.

/\/ollog wrote: »

True on both accounts.
    I'm only getting the premium version because it's black.
    The extra space and the three plastic cradles I'll probably never use don't matter to me.

Cool, thanks. Now i will also assume there'll be a midnight launch in gamestop henry st. Alright, decision made. I'll book it tomorrow. Im getting pretty excited about this now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I'm getting the premium black with nintendoland then buying mario wii u and ray an legends on top of that so bout 500 notes :( damn you nintendo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

I'm getting the premium black with nintendoland then buying mario wii u and ray an legends on top of that so bout 500 notes :( damn you nintendo

its not like they are forcing you to buy it? :pac:

Anyway, I won't get the WiiU until the next zelda game comes out. The current lineup simply does not interest me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Lads, couple of questions

How can I pre-order the wii u, can you just walk into smyths or is there an online site that will deliver (i.e. Amazon)

I've read that the Wii U is backwards compatible with the previous released wii games is this 100% verified. Presume there would be a big improvement in game play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Wii games won't be upscaled to HD if that's what your asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Thats fair enough, but I noticed some of the games like MW3 are a bit shakey and laggy with the improved hardware that at least should be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Thats fair enough, but I noticed some of the games like MW3 are a bit shakey and laggy with the improved hardware that at least should be sorted.

the processor and disc drive are faster so this could be the case. wont make the game look better but should get rid of lag caused by slower processors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

That is what I am getting - but I am gonna try to get the games as Christmas presents off people, save myself a few notes like!

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Lads, couple of questions

How can I pre-order the wii u, can you just walk into smyths or is there an online site that will deliver (i.e. Amazon)

I've read that the Wii U is backwards compatible with the previous released wii games is this 100% verified. Presume there would be a big improvement in game play.

You can pre-order it anywhere you can buy videogames, usually.

Wii games will be emulated, and be run in "Wii mode". There will be no improvements.

Think I might start wii games if I see them at attractive prices for this. For launch I'l probably be after.... zombie U and mario bros. Maybe pick up one of the third party games if I have any spare cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Zombiu version pre-ordered now! Excitement a-go-go!

Anyone know what's in the nuntendoland game?? Am I right in saying its a max of different games?

ZombiU is a third party game, it's an Ubisoft game.
    Anyone know what's in the nuntendoland game?? Am I right in saying its a mix of different games?

There's 12 minigames.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sawZZVrlsSo
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/09/14/the-12-attractions-of-nintendo-land-revisited

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

magnumbud wrote: »
    the processor and disc drive are faster so this could be the case. wont make the game look better but should get rid of lag caused by slower processors etc.

Amazingly I was reading a developer commenting on the processor doesn't even match the 360 and PS3. It's ahead in GPU and RAM - which you'd hope given the age of the other machines.

A chat about the power of the Wii U with the developer of a Wii U launch title

Dynasty Warriors chief reveals impact of weaker CPU.

We know the Wii U's IBM-made CPU, made up of three Power PC cores, is one of its weaknesses, at least compared to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. But how will this impact the performance of Wii U games?

At the Tokyo Game Show earlier today Eurogamer spoke with the developer of one of the biggest Wii U launch games, Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper, to find out.

The playable version of the game on the Tokyo Game Show floor is not up to the performance levels of past Dynasty Warriors games in terms of frame rate and number of enemies on screen, and is shown up considerably by Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires, the PS3 exclusive also playable on publisher Tecmo Koei's stand.

Akihiro Suzuki, producer of the Dynasty Warriors franchise, admitted this was the case when quizzed by Eurogamer, and pointed to the Wii U's CPU by way of explanation.

"One of the weaknesses of the Wii U compared to PS3 and Xbox 360 is the CPU power is a little bit less," he said. "So for games in the Warriors series, including Dynasty Warriors and Warriors Orochi, when you have a lot of enemies coming at you at once, the performance tends to be affected because of the CPU.

"Dealing with that is a challenge."

The exact specifications of the CPU, including clock speed, remain undisclosed for now, but developers, including those Eurogamer spoke to for an investigation into the power of the Wii U, have confirmed it's slower than the CPU inside both the PS3 and Xbox 360.

But one of its strengths is said to be its custom AMD 7 series GPU, and the 1GB of RAM available to games: double that of the PS3 and Xbox 360.

This, Suzuki said, means the Orochi development team had the opportunity to create visuals better than those possible on PS3 and Xbox 360.

"Developing on new hardware in itself was a challenge, and also making that launch date was a challenge," he said. "But from a visual standpoint, based on the performance of the Wii U, we knew the game had the capability of having much better graphics than games on PS3 and Xbox 360. Make no mistake, from a visual standpoint, it is able to produce better graphics. So our challenge was to make a higher quality graphics. We were able to meet that."

Suzuki vowed that the performance of the game will be improved before release. He better get his skates on: Warriors Orochi 3 launches alongside the Wii U on 30th November.

"While the visuals are great, as is being able to improve them, we had to deal with the lower CPU power and how we can get around that issue," he said.

"Actually, we're still working on that. If you see the demo on the show floor and you try it, you'll probably feel it's not up to the PS3 level. But we're working on it!"

As part of Eurogamer's investigation into the power of the Wii U, Digital Foundry boss Richard Leadbetter expressed concern about the Nintendo console. "It'll be interesting to see how future Face-Offs work out," he pondered. "I expect that GPU focused games will benefit from smoother frame-rates and lower levels of screen-tear, but cross-platform titles highly dependent on CPU power could end up noticeably worse off."

According to Suzuki, the main issue is that developers are still wrapping their head around the CPU, and so are yet to work out how best to use it.

"For the PS3 it has multiple CPUs and an SPU, so you can calculate the various motions of the characters on the CPU so overall it runs smoothly," Suzuki explained. "The Xbox 360 CPUs are formulated so they can spread out the processing power so things run efficiently.

"With the Wii U being new hardware, we're still getting used to developing for it, so there are still a lot of things we don't know yet to bring out the most of the processing power. There's a lot that still needs to be explored in that area."

I think Nintendo has proven processing power isn't everything :pac:

cloud493 wrote: »
    I think Nintendo has proven processing power isn't everything :pac:
    It's important to games where AI is important.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

santa preordered premium bundle in HMV today.
    A bit weird though that people working there didn't know what the bundles would be, or how much - they said the prices haven't been decided yet... hope it doesn't turn out more expensive than other places:(

Ordered same as damo el diablo ZOMBI U YESSSSSSSSS

ZOMBI u pack is great value at 420 tbh.

Just wanna point out ordering from hmv could be dangerous if nobody I store knows prices yet at lrast in GameStop u know exactly how much you have to pay!! Plus GameStop in general have fantastic customer service.

So I'll be getting ZOMBI u wii u pack plus rayman legends and nsmb wii u :D SSSSOOOOOOOOOOO excited ;)

Manager in GameStop newbridge played wii u yesterday and said ZOMBI u is absolutely first class!!!

hdowney wrote: »

The truth or marketing genius by ninty????

The truth or marketing genius by ninty????

And that is the question!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

My good wife pre ordered the premium wii u for me yesterday in HMV limerick they said €350 and all she had to put down was €10 deposit. for me games to get are zombie u and COD black ops 2, mass effect 3. the last 2 mainly because they support off tv play and this is the main reason for getting this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pre ordered the Premium pack in HMV Cork yesterday and was told it'll be €349.99, and had to put €15 deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ordered same as damo el diablo ZOMBI U YESSSSSSSSS

ZOMBI u pack is great value at 420 tbh.

Just wanna point out ordering from hmv could be dangerous if nobody I store knows prices yet at lrast in GameStop u know exactly how much you have to pay!! Plus GameStop in general have fantastic customer service.

So I'll be getting ZOMBI u wii u pack plus rayman legends and nsmb wii u :D SSSSOOOOOOOOOOO excited ;)

Gamestop are and will always be eternally little bit dearer in my dealings with them. Also Gamestop, again in my experience, have a pretty shoddy customer service especially when it comes to bringing back things that have a problem.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Gamestop are and will always be eternally little bit dearer in my dealings with them. Also Gamestop, again in my experience, have a pretty shoddy customer service especially when it comes to bringing back things that have a problem.
    Anytime I have a problem the store staff in 2 of there stores I use sort me out absolutely no problems, do you have any idea why they wouldn't take care of you as a customer?

Think of it this way u lose a receipt but item was faulty I had manager in Newbridge search store history for few months to dig my receipt out. Now that is customer service.....

Advertisement