Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

backwards compatible with wii titles and peripherals, not compatible with gc stuff

Helix are we still looking at late October early November for launch??

Every shop has dec 25th nobody has an iota of a notion what launch day is!!!!

ill bet my left bollock on november 18th now, after narrowing it down a bit

Kinski wrote: »
    It would actually make some sense to preorder now if anyone wants one at launch, what with rumours that there will be an under-supply, possibly even delaying the European release until next year.

yeah it's looking unlikely it'll be in europe in 2012

probably looking at february if that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Helix wrote: »
    ill bet my left bollock on november 18th now, after narrowing it down a bit

Go all in with the right bollock and make a ninty fan smile??? ;)

yeah it's looking unlikely it'll be in europe in 2012

probably looking at february if that happens

Surely they are not gonna miss out on Xmas sales??? That would be ****ing madness!! Imagine all disappointed kids Xmas morning mammy why did Santa not bring me my wii u!!!!

Nintendo have a ficking heart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

If any of you have been following what Ninty have been saying since E3, it will be out WORLD WIDE holiday 2012, so thats November 18th('ish) for the US and Europe prob a week before or after that. Japan, prob a month before or same as Europe.

I dont think the the WiiU will sell out like the Wii did in 2006, different times now.

Also re Xmas sales, if the Mammys cant find the WiiU for little Timmy for Xmas morning, that mammy will buy a cheap Xbox or a PS3 and Ninty will loose that one sale, so they will have it out before Xmas.

So what do people think the price will be?

I think €299.

Some people are now thinking Nintendo World will not be a pack in with the WiiU (one reviewer on NWR says it looks way too polished and perhaps a little too good to be a pack in), so that makes me think that MAYBE NSMBU could be a pack in for €20 extra so €319, no disc in the box but comes with a download code for the game from the estore (or eshop, whichever) so that gets people straight onto the online shop and they'll see all the other online games to buy right off the bat.

Just a thought....

If any of you have been following what Ninty have been saying since E3, it will be out WORLD WIDE holiday 2012, so thats November 18th('ish) for the US and Europe prob a week before or after that. Japan, prob a month before or same as Europe.

E3 was before they ran into massive manufacturing issues on the controller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

I dont think the the WiiU will sell out like the Wii did in 2006, different times now.

Also re Xmas sales, if the Mammys cant find the WiiU for little Timmy for Xmas morning, that mammy will buy a cheap Xbox or a PS3 and Ninty will loose that one sale, so they will have it out before Xmas.

So what do people think the price will be?

I think €299.

Some people are now thinking Nintendo World will not be a pack in with the WiiU (one reviewer on NWR says it looks way too polished and perhaps a little too good to be a pack in), so that makes me think that MAYBE NSMBU could be a pack in for €20 extra so €319, no disc in the box but comes with a download code for the game from the estore (or eshop, whichever) so that gets people straight onto the online shop and they'll see all the other online games to buy right off the bat.

Just a thought....

Cant see WiiU having the same immediate appeal to casual games as the wii unless they really really push with ads etc. Similar to the 3DS i see alot of people asking why cant i just get these games for the WiiU which is why i would have thought a name change was in order.

Really? What types of problems?

They are fooked if its out after Christmas, I know we'll get one whenever it comes out. But the casuals? Maybe not so much.

They are fooked if its out after Christmas, I know we'll get one whenever it comes out. But the casuals? Maybe not so much.

think its with trying to get two of the pads working with the one console.

• Advertisement

Ah right, yeah heard that at the start of the year, I heard they had sorted that a while back, but would come with an online update to the system in the new year.

would have thought the same to be honest but apparently not. maybe one of the launch titles or soon after launch want it and they have to push so the game can release on time and work day one

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

Honestly, Nintendo realise that the concept of the WiiU is a hard sell to anyone outside Japan. I see them selling Nintendo World in Japan at retail while bundling it in with the console in the other territories to incentivise spending all that dough and actually being able to play something that utilizes nintendo's genius right out of the box. It was done with Wii Sports, it'll be done for Nintendo World.:D

afaik they'd to destroy a huge batch of them as they didn't work properly, setting them back a fair whack of time. NA and JP will be prioritised if it comes down to not having enough for all 3 territories to launch i assume

though that said, i'd not rule it out that this is the usual nintendo pre console release scaremongering to drum up hype. it'll likely be followed by the usual small launch batch that sells out and gets parents in a panic before christmas, where nintendo miraculously find a few million consoles just in time and people buy them by the bucketload

of course, there's nothing close to that level of hype around the wii u

jaydoxx wrote: »
    Honestly, Nintendo realise that the concept of the WiiU is a hard sell to anyone outside Japan. I see them selling Nintendo World in Japan at retail while bundling it in with the console in the other territories to incentivise spending all that dough and actually being able to play something that utilizes nintendo's genius right out of the box. It was done with Wii Sports, it'll be done for Nintendo World.:D

Yeah I guess your right. Would love NSMBU to be a pack in on launch tho.
    The reviews seem to be good(for what it is) for Ninty World anyway.
    afaik they'd to destroy a huge batch of them as they didn't work properly, setting them back a fair whack of time. NA and JP will be prioritised if it comes down to not having enough for all 3 territories to launch i assume

though that said, i'd not rule it out that this is the usual nintendo pre console release scaremongering to drum up hype. it'll likely be followed by the usual small launch batch that sells out and gets parents in a panic before christmas, where nintendo miraculously find a few million consoles just in time and people buy them by the bucketload

Yeah they could try the Wii strategy all over agian, but it would be pointless since its not 2006 and people are broke now.

I am still trying to figure out how this WiiU system is like the Snes, as Iwata Satoru said last year, did he just mean 're-inventing' the controller like the Snes did 20 years ago?

Or that the system will be for the 'hardcore' gamers again?
    Or is it the shape of the system? Kinda long looking.:rolleyes:

God I need more information on this bloody thing!
    Guess we'll be drip fed some more info on the 13th.

i would think they may still release a limited number before XMas here similar to the wii when it came out. it will be all over the news about the limited number of the new must have console and when they get higher numbers ready bang loads of people quing for the new must have toy that little jimmy has been crying for

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Thophder

If this does come out at Christmas, i may just go out and buy one :p Black console of course & has Nintendo confirmed any mario/zelda games at launch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Since I have been verboten from buying one myself, working very hard to persuade my son that he wants one for Christmas. Need a few ads to come out soon on kids tv though to reinforce what a good idea it is.

Do it for Santa!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

mod edit

• Advertisement

Work there wampy? Or own rage by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,566 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    mod snip

I used to buy from these guys. Then they started checking ebay prices on every item.

No point buying from them now unfortunately. It's easier to just use ebay. If they want to stay in business, they'll need to look at current ebay prices, but deduct postage prices.

Oh and lads, get rid of the 'RARE' thing on price tags. It's pissing a lot of people off. Most things you have there aren't 'rare', they're just popular and a little uncommon. It's not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Since I have been verboten from buying one myself, working very hard to persuade my son that he wants one for Christmas. Need a few ads to come out soon on kids tv though to reinforce what a good idea it is.

Do it for Santa!

The answer is simple. Record a couple of episodes of Ben 10 or Adventure Time or whatever your kid likes, then compile a bunch of photos of the Wii U superimposed over Batman-esque kablammo flashes, ideally zooming in and out in a sickening manner while you sing "Wii-U, Wii-U, gotta buy Wii-U" (if you've seen the in-show ad for Strong Johns on Regular Show, basically do that). Integrate it into a couple of ad breaks and then stick it on a DVD or your media player. Then brainwash him. It's responsible parenting, you're taking an interest in what your boy watches!

I saw the preview of dark siders 2 for wii u in last months issue of ONM(Official Nintendo Magazine)

I m looking the preview of mass effect 3 for wii u now in new issue of ONM(Official Nintendo Magazine)

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/06/wii-u-getting-sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed/

Also there's a preview of the game for wii u now in new issue of ONM(Official Nintendo Magazine)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

Hadn't seen this news before...apparently you can use a wiimote pointer with the gamepad....inbuilt sensor bar :confused::)

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/wii-u-gamepad-can-be-used-as-a-secondary-screen-according-to-nintendo-patent/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

smokingman wrote: »
    Hadn't seen this news before...apparently you can use a wiimote pointer with the gamepad....inbuilt sensor bar :confused::)

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/wii-u-gamepad-can-be-used-as-a-secondary-screen-according-to-nintendo-patent/

In other words, prop your WiiU controller up against something, take the Remote in hand...and Wii. Just like on your TV, only much, much smaller! That is all kinds of pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Kinski wrote: »
    smokingman wrote: »

In other words, prop your WiiU controller up against something, take the Remote in hand...and Wii. Just like on your TV, only much, much smaller! That is all kinds of pointless.
    No no no its not
    Wii in the front room
    Kids asleep
    You sitting out in the car screeching along to RockBand tunes or blasting the motherfathers of HotD Overkill, all the while sparing their fragile little minds

Better than that.... Playing Zelda on the loo. This is what I bought a house for. Well, that and the roof.

... and they said Nintendo never make stuff for adults

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I can go play Zelda on the loo right now if I want :)

Doubt this thing will be able to talk to the console from out in the car. Anyhow if l had kids I'd be forcing them to stay up playing games...You little brats aren't going to bed until you finish Contra 3! Seriously, that game teaches valuable life lessons.

Advertisement