Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q Bedroom modular furniture

Options
  • 14-05-2012 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up,

I was in B&Q yesterday getting some wardrobe doors & drawer units. Everything was discounted, quite heavily at times.

I asked why it wasn't advertised as a sale and the chap didn;t seem to know.

Anyway, as an example I got 4 wardrobe doors, normally €134 each, but I only paid €45 each.
    The lockers were even better value, but I can't recall the exact amounts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Looked it up last night,
    A 610mm wide 3 drawer locker is normally €128, I got two for €25 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭ted1

really wish that they's sort out an Irish website..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

B&Q flat pack furniture tends to be poor quality.
    I've got the odd wardrobe and lockers for spare rooms in the past, and it's just not worth it. The bottom falling out of chest of drawers shelves and the like.

If you want something cheap, go for it, but don't expect it to last.
    Am impressed with IKEA build quality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Am impressed with IKEA build quality though

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Haggis The Dog

Am impressed with IKEA build quality though.

Really? Can't say I've ever been impressed, you get what you pay for I know but flaky chipboard and warped hardboard backs are not what I'd consider Impressive build quality....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Really? Can't say I've ever been impressed, you get what you pay for I know but flaky chipboard and warped hardboard backs are not what I'd consider Impressive build quality....

the standard is very good. much better than other stuff out there. I've never met soemone who was dissatisifed with ikea products

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Didnt like the looks of the BnQ modular stuff,brackets/fixings seems very weak indeed.

Ikea for the win here.10 year guarentee too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

flaky chipboard and warped hardboard backs are not what I'd consider Impressive build quality....

I've never heard of anybody having those sort of problems with Ikea products.
    How old were they?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

I have those ikea versions and the bottom hard board keeps popping out of them. Its irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dolallyoh wrote: »
    I have those ikea versions and the bottom hard board keeps popping out of them. Its irritating.

A length of 2 X 1 PAO would sort that out. Cut to length and pin it underneath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Davy wrote: »
    A length of 2 X 1 PAO would sort that out. Cut to length and pin it underneath

Cheers what is 2x1 pao ? Am assuming some sort of timber strip but not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Planed All Over

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

AKA straight edge or 2 inch by one inch (sold in metric sizes), or be a cheapskate and buy the unplaned variety, in fact any spare cheap timber that will fit will do (note: saw may be required)

An 10 foot length of 2 x 1 PAO is 3 euro 50 cents in most buuilders providers.

Not exactly breaking the bank.

Yep, it is the Cooke & Lewis stuff, although cheaper than shown on that link above.

Quality is fine (but I already had my own wardrobe carcasses.
    Hinges are identical in every way to 99% of kitchen/bedroom hinges on the market, so I am not sure where that comment comes from.

I have found that the cheap Ikea stuff is rubbish, but the better quality stuff is not much cheaper than most other retailers. (like most places I suppose).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Does anyone know if there is a "DIY" forum on here?
    Cheers

mishkalucy wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a "DIY" forum on here?
    Cheers

Yes.....DIY,Electrical,Gardening,Plumbing,Interior Design,Home Appliences,Woodworking and so on.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=875

My review of Ikea bedroom furniture (with pictures).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056635234

Nice review Paddy.

Thing is, Ikea has a reputation for being 'cheap' and 'good quality'

From what I have seen, these characteristics don't usually apply to the same products.

So, you either get 'cheap', or you get 'good quality', but rarely both. Like most other shops really.

• Advertisement

Call me "rare" then.:D

Because I got both from Ikea.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Bought our first house last year and 99% of the furniture is from IKEA. It's both cheap and good quality- in our case at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

B&Q furniture...it will end in tears.

Advertisement