Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BREAST FEEDING A 3 YEAR OLD !

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

grindle wrote: »
    You... Responded... To me?
    "What physical needs?", you said, quoting me...
    Unless you thought I meant the whole physical-closeness some seem to like. I didn't.
    Soooo....

*tumbleweed*

I was responding to you responding to me! :D

*a parade of neo nazi tumbleweed*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I was responding to you responding to me! :D

*a parade of neo nazi tumbleweed*

Well, the first was due to you saying society's mores should take precedence.
    I have a limit too, I think at around 4, just because science hasn't shown any biological positives past that age.
    I don't get the need for some mothers to feed after that, it's almost like a pre-emptive nostalgia for young motherhood.
    I also hold nothing against women who stop at 6 months, it's just a fact that that is less natural than stopping around the 2-3 range, so people shouldn't be giving shiit to this woman on Time's cover, or others like her, until they selfishly force the feeding past the natural stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Johro wrote: »
    Cork24 wrote: »
    Got milk
    Will travel.

How much a ltr

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

It's like comparing the pink sludge used to make turkey twizzlers vs free range turkey.

Mmm turkey twizzlers

Mmm turkey twizzlers

I know, right??? Who the fuuck cares about free-range?

Free-range MSG, for sure, but turkeys?

Nawwww.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Can't see what the problem is ........... unless the husband/lover/father/girlfriend gets jealous and goes postal. Had a dream last night that Kim Kardashian was breast-feeding me .......... tasted like Bailey's ........nom nom nom burp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Meh, trying to find prejudice where there isn't any is boring. Breastfeeding of a child past toddler stage in non western societies isn't wrong but it's a very different culture. Nobody has answered my question yet - what's the cut-off point for breastfeeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Dudess wrote: »
    Meh, trying to find prejudice where there isn't any is boring. Breastfeeding of a child past toddler stage in non western societies isn't wrong but it's a very different culture. Nobody has answered my question yet - what's the cut-off point for breastfeeding?

I would say 10 mths/1yr same as bottle fed babies but everyone is different. No one will have the same opinion.
    Personally I would not be happy breastfeeding a child over this age or close to it anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The World Health Organisation recommends exclusive breastfeeding until 6 months followed by another 18 months of supplementary feeds, slowly increasing solid food and reducing breastmilk until age two.

I'd like to follow this advice if possible but I'm hoping to feed from the breast until about 11 months-ish wean from the breast at that point but continue to express milk that the baby can drink from a cup or in it's cereal, etc. I want to do this because I am squeamish about the child growing up to remember sucking from my breast. I accept that this may not be something that causes future sexual issues but I'd prefer not to just in case. Also I'd ideally like to be pregnant again around this stage and I was so very sick for the start of this pregnancy that there is no way I'd have been able to breastfeed a baby/toddler in that state. A lot of days I wouldn't have been able to care for a child and was very lucky not to have been hospitalised on a couple of occasions. If that happens again I'd rather the child be used to drinking expressed milk and being fed by my husband or a family member and not be upset at not being fed by me.

Nobody has answered my question yet - what's the cut-off point for breastfeeding?
    I have a limit too, I think at around 4...
    Note that the WHO's* recommendations are a suggestion towards an ideal minimum, but compared to the way most Irish talk, it's a doubling, maybe a quadrupling, of what they find tasteful.
    How people can't separate pithy cultural values and biological ideals is ultimately, about babies, so who cares? a great mystery to me.

*<insert Pete Townshend joke>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

iguana wrote: »
    The World Health Organisation recommends exclusive breastfeeding until 6 months followed by another 18 months of supplementary feeds, slowly increasing solid food and reducing breastmilk until age two.

I'd like to follow this advice if possible but I'm hoping to feed from the breast until about 11 months-ish wean from the breast at that point but continue to express milk that the baby can drink from a cup or in it's cereal, etc. I want to do this because I am squeamish about the child growing up to remember sucking from my breast. I accept that this may not be something that causes future sexual issues but I'd prefer not to just in case. Also I'd ideally like to be pregnant again around this stage and I was so very sick for the start of this pregnancy that there is no way I'd have been able to breastfeed a baby/toddler in that state. A lot of days I wouldn't have been able to care for a child and was very lucky not to have been hospitalised on a couple of occasions. If that happens again I'd rather the child be used to drinking expressed milk and being fed by my husband or a family member and not be upset at not being fed by me.

THANK YOU. I have no issue with breastfeeding but I really do think there should be a cut off point when the child is around two-three years old. I'm in my twenties and I can clearly remember a lot of my childhood from when I was four/five, and I think I'd feel fairly sickened at the thought of remembering sucking my moms boobs at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Karpops wrote: »
    THANK YOU. I have no issue with breastfeeding but I really do think there should be a cut off point when the child is around two-three years old. I'm in my twenties and I can clearly remember a lot of my childhood from when I was four/five, and I think I'd feel fairly sickened at the thought of remembering sucking my moms boobs at that age.

You wouldn't though. This is not hoe memory functions. We are programmed to remember important events or things that stand out. You may remember your first day at school but you are much less likely to remember your fourth or your 53rd (unless something extraordinary happened those days.) You would be highly unlikely aged 4 to have a memory of eating any more than going to the toilet. Unless for some reason it was extraordinary.(for example - you got chocolate milk from your mum's breast).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

forfuxsake wrote: »
    (for example - you got chocolate milk from your mum's breast).
    Sure that, or something more realistic, like if some event happened while breast feeding.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Jeez, I was breastfed until about 3 and a half, I'm almost 30 now and I vaguely remember being breast-fed, big f-ing woop! I also remember playing on swings, watching bosco and a lot of things that I don't do as an adult.

I don't see why people find it weird at all, get over yer Victorian prudishness seriously! This is how things have always been before we started eating out of cardboard boxes.

People raise eyebrows when they see a three year old breastfeeding but not when they see a three year old eating jelly tots, get some perspective ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Jeez, I was breastfed until about 3 and a half, I'm almost 30 now and I vaguely remember being breast-fed, big f-ing woop! I also remember playing on swings, watching bosco and a lot of things that I don't do as an adult.

I don't see why people find it weird at all, get over yer Victorian prudishness seriously! This is how things have always been before we started eating out of cardboard boxes.

People raise eyebrows when they see a three year old breastfeeding but not when they see a three year old eating jelly tots, get some perspective ffs!
    It's not prudishness. At all. Where did any non Breastapo heads indicate they think it's grand for a three-year-old to be eating Jelly Tots btw? Oh yeah, they didn't. Not that there's any harm in a very occasional treat either.
    It's not that I see anything particularly "wrong" with late breastfeeding, just that I personally don't see the necessity, particularly when the kid has teeth. There has to be a cut-off point - unless you'd deem it ideal still at eight/nine? - and for me it's toddler stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

You wouldn't though. This is not hoe memory functions. We are programmed to remember important events or things that stand out. You may remember your first day at school but you are much less likely to remember your fourth or your 53rd (unless something extraordinary happened those days.) You would be highly unlikely aged 4 to have a memory of eating any more than going to the toilet. Unless for some reason it was extraordinary.(for example - you got chocolate milk from your mum's breast).

Funnily enough I don't remember my first day of school at all?! I also despise chocolate milk. If I was getting Fanta Exotic from her boob - now that I'd remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Apparently in Ireland it is when you leave your front door.
    I have no opinions either way - breast, bottle, it is the choice of the mother.
    What is the cut off point? Again it is up to the mother but when the child starts playschool or Montessori is as good a choice as any.

It's not prudishness. At all. Where did any non Breastapo heads indicate they think it's grand for a three-year-old to be eating Jelly Tots btw? Oh yeah, they didn't. Not that there's any harm in a very occasional treat either.

Breastapo? Ah nice to see we've resorted to hackneyed name-calling.

A toddler should not be eating jelly tots ever. Life long food preferences are partially influenced at that age. But you don't see near the same level of outrage about that that I have seen on this thread.

You seem to be trying to construct a notion that I think this is mandatory, which I can understand, because then maybe you'd have a leg to stand on in this debate. As it stands I don't find the 'traditional societies carry out extended breastfeeding because they can't go to Tesco' argument less than compelling.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Nobody has answered my question yet - what's the cut-off point for breastfeeding?

Well I'm 63 and still have the urge for a mouthful. Occasionally :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I saw an English documentary about an eleven year old girl who was still being breast fed. This seems tame in comparison.

Zulu wrote: »
    Sure that, or something more realistic, like if some event happened while breast feeding.

such as?

The implant exploding and the nipple choking the, er, sucker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Photo is obviously staged.... no evidence of a breast feeding bra? Without one it'd be Leaky McLeak Leak Central.

Time should've run the headline 'Look at me breast feeding my child, now dare to say something about it'. Just looks like attention seeking overall. I wonder did the child have any say about being on the cover of Time?

Found this:

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012/05/are_you_mom_enough.html

Totally sums up my thoughts on the article.

such as?
    such as anything out of the ordinary; a car crashing through the front room window; an asteroid striking the mother on the head; the dog spontaneously combusting; you admitting your wrong - you know something outside the routine.

Zulu wrote: »
    such as anything out of the ordinary; a car crashing through the front room window; an asteroid striking the mother on the head; the dog spontaneously combusting; you admitting your wrong - you know something outside the routine.

So mothers should stop breastfeeding at a certain stage in case of:

a car crashing through the front room window
    an asteroid striking the mother on the head;
    the dog spontaneously combusting.

Me admitting my wrong.?

So mothers should stop breastfeeding at a certain stage in case of:

a car crashing through the front room window
    an asteroid striking the mother on the head;
    the dog spontaneously combusting.

Me admitting my wrong.?

yea that's exactly what i said & meant; nothing more to it; good for you.

Advertisement