Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primetime last night

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

There's a good documentary series that's been running since 1964 and filmed every 7 years thereafter which has followed the lives of fourteen kids from aged 7 up. The latest series is being shown on teevee next week (I think?) - 56 up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_Series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

kowloon wrote: »
    Of the people I went to secondary school with at least two have killed themselves and one has killed someone else.
    A guy in my class killed his dad, then killed himself. Beat that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Paparazzo wrote: »
    kowloon wrote: »
    Of the people I went to secondary school with at least two have killed themselves and one has killed someone else.

That's a tough one to beat. Any challengers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

So, in case you missed it, the show was about dodgy landlords. What stood out for me, on a personal level, was a guy who was living in this awful bedsit with mould and damp everywhere, ruining his clothes, belongings and lungs. Alone. The thing that got to me the most was that it was someone I went to school with. A peer, if you will.

Since leaving school, I got a couple of degrees, got engaged to a beautiful, educated woman and I am now lucky enough to have a decent job with a future. I am very grateful for where I'm at right now. It just stunned me how we both went on such different paths from seemingly equal positions. I'm not gloating, I actually felt really bad for the guy.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience, perhaps pulling up to McDonalds in a fancy car to be served by an old classmate? Did you feel bad/glad/indifferent?
    You need to post up bikini shots if we're to believe you

Bikini shot whilst holding a degree, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

It's quite sad, why would you want to beat it.
    Bikini shot whilst holding a degree, surely?

I say naked with degree wedged between the boobies ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

Now, i'm not calling you a liar, but.........

No fúck it i am, you're lying!

Ah OK, you got me, maybe it didn't happen exactly like that.

Tears were running down my face, but I held my smile, gave him his order and bid him 'Have a nice day'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

So, in case you missed it, the show was about dodgy landlords. What stood out for me, on a personal level, was a guy who was living in this awful bedsit with mould and damp everywhere, ruining his clothes, belongings and lungs. Alone. The thing that got to me the most was that it was someone I went to school with. A peer, if you will.

Since leaving school, I got a couple of degrees, got engaged to a beautiful, educated woman and I am now lucky enough to have a decent job with a future. I am very grateful for where I'm at right now. It just stunned me how we both went on such different paths from seemingly equal positions. I'm not gloating, I actually felt really bad for the guy.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience, perhaps pulling up to McDonalds in a fancy car to be served by an old classmate? Did you feel bad/glad/indifferent?

how do you know he's not looking at you and saying......jeez, look at that poor sod, spent all his young time indoors reading books for his degree, got tied up with one woman for the rest of his life, slogging away at a 9 - 5 job every day to pay for the blood diamond he got for his woman. Thank goodness I didn't follow his path. :D:D:D

moral of the story: don't judge others by the standards of your own head. Because somewhere, someone is judging you and probably getting it all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Marvin Gaye's aul fella says hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

I just did a search on daft for studio apartments. I was shown a number of pictures of absolute dumps, ranging FROM 400 PM, and they were the real dumps.

I also did a search for sharing properties, in blanch (with plenty of public transport, there's an en suite room with a sofa for 325. Looks a lot more comfortable than the other kips. There's other places closer to town which are still within range, and at least you'll have someone to talk to

I wouldn't give the blame totally to landlords. If mugs are gona pay to live in that type of squaller, then thats there stupidity.

And don't give me the strawman arguement maybe they don't want to share with someone, cos i'm not asking them to share a bed with anyone. just rent a room.

Feel sorry for people tho who get stuck in ruts like that. Hopefully they can turn things around

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

My one got dropped to a lower charge (manslaughter?). Sometimes you intend to beat someone within an inch of their life and overstep by an inch or so.

He might not have been the most shy and peaceful type but there were quite a few people I'd have expected it from sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Fran1985 wrote: »
    I just did a search on daft for studio apartments. I was shown a number of pictures of absolute dumps, ranging FROM 400 PM, and they were the real dumps.

I also did a search for sharing properties, in blanch (with plenty of public transport, there's an en suite room with a sofa for 325. Looks a lot more comfortable than the other kips. There's other places closer to town which are still within range, and at least you'll have someone to talk to

I wouldn't give the blame totally to landlords. If mugs are gona pay to live in that type of squaller, then that's there their stupidity.

And don't give me the strawman arguement maybe they don't want to share with someone, cos i'm not asking them to share a bed with anyone. just rent a room.

Feel sorry for people tho who get stuck in ruts like that. Hopefully they can turn things around

I fixed your post for you. How apt, that your stupid mistake is in the sentence where you call someone else stupid. :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Never look down on anyone,I got thought this lesson as a young lad on holidays in France,I was 17 walking with my dad and there was a homeless fella in decent clothes begging off the Champs Elysee,I made a snide remark to my dad immaturely thinking I would get a laugh but he turned round and really took me down a peg or two.
    He said in 5 10 or 20 yrs that could be you,as life does not always go to plan and you never know that persons situation.
    At the time I was humiliated but since that day I have met two guys I went to school with homeless and asking for money,I gave them cash had a chat and just looked beyond there situation to the person and the two fellas are actually decent guys.

Advertisement