Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midsummer 5k, 17th June 2012

Options
  • 09-05-2012 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭

11:00 in St Anne's Park, run by Raheny Shamrock AC.

Registration is open online here

A super race in beautiful surroundings with some nice post-race refreshments, if previous years are anything to go by.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

This race will also be the Dublin Novice Road Race championships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

RayCun wrote: »
    This race will also be the Dublin Novice Road Race championships

Really like this race, Missed out on it last year but hope to give it a lash this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Does anyone have a link to results from previous years?

gnu wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to results from previous years?

Here's last year's results

Small enough field by the looks of it, less than 200 runners, and a lot of them over 25 minutes. I'd guess there'll be more and faster this year.

Here's last year's results

Small enough field by the looks of it, less than 200 runners, and a lot of them over 25 minutes. I'd guess there'll be more and faster this year.
    Yes it is ... and I'm not sure I'm brave enough to straggle in after everyone else! :o

• Advertisement

Yes it is ... and I'm not sure I'm brave enough to straggle in after everyone else! :o

There'll be more people at the fast end of the field, but I'd guess the same number at the slower end. There were people finishing in over 30 minutes, over 40 minutes last year, I'm sure there'll be some this year too and you'll be finishing in front of them...

There'll be more people at the fast end of the field, but I'd guess the same number at the slower end. There were people finishing in over 30 minutes, over 40 minutes last year, I'm sure there'll be some this year too and you'll be finishing in front of them...

My last 5k was about 31 mins I think so wouldn't have been last going on those results. I keep telling myself it shouldn't even matter ... somebody's got to come last after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

My last 5k was about 31 mins I think so wouldn't have been last going on those results. I keep telling myself it shouldn't even matter ... somebody's got to come last after all.

I think about 4 years ago I was almost last in this race myself, So wouldnt worry about where you come, get out run and enjoy yoru own race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Do come, gnu! I bet you won't come last, and even if you do it really doesn't feel like I imagine coming last in the Great Ireland Run or something would. I've come in very near the back in some Raheny Shamrock races but everyone is so encouraging that it really doesn't matter. Slightly smaller races are fun, as you get to know people, can chat to people afterwards etc. Give it a go!

Thanks for the encouragement and I know in my heart you're right. Even if I came last, I'd still be proud that I finished, or had the nerve to enter ... it's not so long ago that I couldn't jog 5 minutes, let alone finish a race. I love the thrill of races (even at my level!) but the small ones scare me ... I need to get past that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Thanks for the encouragement and I know in my heart you're right. Even if I came last, I'd still be proud that I finished, or had the nerve to enter ... it's not so long ago that I couldn't jog 5 minutes, let alone finish a race. I love the thrill of races (even at my level!) but the small ones scare me ... I need to get past that.

I know how you feel! The first small race I ever did was the Raheny Shamrock Holland Cup last year -- probably about 40 people. I had only done the mini marathon & the Reindeer Run before, so I started jogging off at the start of the race and everyone SHOT off! I was second last, and that was only because someone else got a stitch. Since then I've done lots of them and I really enjoy the camaraderie, the tea after etc. After you've done one it's really not so hard, and they're much cheaper than big corporate races.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I know how you feel! The first small race I ever did was the Raheny Shamrock Holland Cup last year -- probably about 40 people. I had only done the mini marathon & the Reindeer Run before, so I started jogging off at the start of the race and everyone SHOT off! I was second last, and that was only because someone else got a stitch. Since then I've done lots of them and I really enjoy the camaraderie, the tea after etc. After you've done one it's really not so hard, and they're much cheaper than big corporate races.

Thanks a mill HelenAnne, it's very nice to be reminded that I'm not the only one! Tea and camaraderie are big plusses, I will do almost anything for tea and cake/biccies, possibly even running in a small race. :D I've put the date on my calendar so unless I get a better offer, I'm in!

Would be nice to get past this - then I might try some of the BHAA races, they're real bargains!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

This race and Lucan 5k were my favourite races last year..Lovely courses

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

Anybody have a map of this course in St. Annes. Is it around the perimeter or a multiple lap course somewhere in the middle of the park. I run in St. Annes often so would love to do a training run on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

greenb wrote: »
    Anybody have a map of this course in St. Annes. Is it around the perimeter or a multiple lap course somewhere in the middle of the park. I run in St. Annes often so would love to do a training run on the course.

Here you go greenb, My garmin from last year..

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93388695

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

Thanks JosDel....will be doing a couple of laps tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SharonLynch007

Hi guys,
    I have just finished an 8 week running class & was trying do decide if I was going to do any of the fun runs. This blog has convinced me to do this one on Sunday so dont worry about coming last ... that will be my place. I have decided not to be too concerned about my time but to just 'enjoy' it.
    Thanks for the encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Hi guys,
    I have just finished an 8 week running class & was trying do decide if I was going to do any of the fun runs. This blog has convinced me to do this one on Sunday so dont worry about coming last ... that will be my place. I have decided not to be too concerned about my time but to just 'enjoy' it.
    Thanks for the encouragement.

You'l enjoy it - guaranteed !

I signed up today, haven't been running too much but I'm hoping I can force the body to do a sub-20. It'll be painful, but hopefully worth it....

I'm hoping a couple of good nights sleep will leave me ready for a good run on Sunday. Two lap course, yeah? Where's good for car parking around there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I'm hoping a couple of good nights sleep will leave me ready for a good run on Sunday. Two lap course, yeah? Where's good for car parking around there?

Park anywhere around All Saints Dr / Pk / Watermill Dr, this is a short walk to registration in the Cara Hall and a nice jog down to the course.

I'm almost sure it's a 2-lapper, yeah (maybe 2.2, in fact).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

That was fun, and actually OK conditions for it. Got around in 19:48 or so no records broken by any means. Think Dunshaughlin in 6 days is on my mind! Not that I'd have gone much faster anyway but was definitely using it as a warmup..
    Seemed to be a very decent standard there today.

Ambushed ecoli afterwards, was nice to meet you. The face looked familiar, but the singlet helped figure it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

Great Race - really enjoyed it and went round in 28.56 - not fast for most here but a new PB so im Happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CS_Runner

Nice run 22.12 was my time not a PB but 30 seconds faster than last year, Got to shake hands with RayCun at the start:)

19.03 on my watch (and 5.02k), which I was happy with. I'm guessing that was Christeb in the Bendtner top?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

First time doing this race, lovely course and great support from the marshalls (particularly the lady around the 2Km and 4Km mark!). PB for me by about 20 seconds I think, happy days :). Glad we didn't have to run through that big puddle, I'd take the grass detour over that any day. Don't have a garmin but according to a few people I talked to it was pretty much spot on. Well done Raheny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well done to all who took part and thanks to the organisers and the marshalls.
    Great location for a run and a really lovely morning for it.

20.01:( on my Garmin, hoping the running gods will somehow knock 2 seconds off the results sheet. It's still a PB so I'm more than happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AlanPat

Great turnout, really enjoyed the run, 23.36 mins PB, can anyone confirm that it was definitely 5k, my app said 5.32k!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

AlanPat wrote: »
    Great turnout, really enjoyed the run, 23.36 mins PB, can anyone confirm that it was definitely 5k, my app said 5.32k!!!

There was an announcement at the start that due to the flooding there was a little detour so approx 5k. Having said thay there was alot of tree cover screwing with the Garmins, saw everything from 3.06 miles to 5.32k (yours was the top end)

Not the fastest course ever sharp turns plus the detour onto the grass (which was unavoidable) so lucky I wasn't anywhere near good enough shape to chase a time. Congrats to anyone who did though plenty more to come from you

Enjoyable day and good marshalling and goodies at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Fair play to the organisers for an enjoyable race. The marshalling was well run and there was strong vocal encouragment from onlookers around the park, especially from the lady in the Childline t-shirt who gave everyone plenty of very welcome support!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Knightmove

What a lovely way to spend a morning. Sunshine, nice park setting and great support. Thanks Raheny. Time of 19.32 for me which I was pleased with for my 2nd 5k race.

Advertisement