Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former FG CLLR up on corruption charges

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

raymon wrote: »
    Wider Road wrote: »
    You said earlier, "They are so many others , and we know who they are".
    The problem is Raymon, we don't know who they all are. The ex-FG Councillor Fred Forsey proves that.

Agreed we dont know who they all are .

But the inaction in the cases we do know about is staggering.

Agreed, as you say.
    Why, Oh Why then is Hogan STOPPING enquiries instead of agreeing to them? Surely the Fred Forsey case proves this!
    Do you agree Raymon? Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Agreed, as you say.
    Why, Oh Why then is Hogan STOPPING enquiries instead of agreeing to them? Surely the Fred Forsey case proves this!

I have no idea why Hogan is stopping enquiries.

As for your second question , do I agree .? What am I agreeing to .? I'm not sure what your question is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Agreed, as you say.

Hogan, IMO, is afraid of what would be confirmed on his own doorstep and in his own constituency, Carlow-Kilkenny, that is, planning corruption. He knows that Forsey is just the tip of the iceberg.

As an aside, since Forsey was convicted of taking bribes, what then of the developer who bribed him? It seems bizarre that Forsey gets convicted and there is no law (?) for bribing. Another iceberg, with all the corrupt developers. Go ahead Mr. hogan, brush it under the carpet. Its no wonder that most normal people see politics as rotten in Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

afai9k there will be another prosecution arising from the Dungarvan e=zoning.

Be careful commenting, or better stiill whatever you say, say nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Hogan

I wouldn't trust him at all. What is he hiding?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭superluck

It's funny people would believe any prolific politician isn't corrupt at one time or another. You don't get elected being honest with people, you tell people what they want to hear so you get what you want, elected.

Once elected, you start to make money...why else would you want to be a politician? To help people? lol :D

Local town councillors traveling abroad for Paddy's day, sitting in the corner of some Irish pub drinking shots and pints, eating out at expensive restaurants at the tax payers expense....you're naive if you think that doesn't go on.

You want to moan how hard your life is and then vote for the worst kind of people to run the country, what did you expect?

I'll have what he's having, champagne and lobster, please.

Agreed, as you say.

I have no idea why Hogan is stopping enquiries.

As for your second question , do I agree .? What am I agreeing to .? I'm not sure what your question is.

Phil Hogan has cancelled planning inquiries that were due to be investigated throughout the country. Do you believe Raymon that those inquiries should go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

I would imagine that there are very good reasons if one scratches the surface - some people believe that it is only a matter of time before things emerge in regards big Phil. He himself sat on Kilkenny County Council until 2003.

Big Phil. - Auctioneer..........Co. Councillor. Surely a conflict of interest, even if he wasn't doing both at the same time?

blowtorch wrote: »
    I would imagine that there are very good reasons if one scratches the surface - some people believe that it is only a matter of time before things emerge in regards big Phil. He himself sat on Kilkenny County Council until 2003.

Big Phil. - Auctioneer..........Co. Councillor. Surely a conflict of interest, even if he wasn't doing both at the same time?

Please tell on, I don't fully understand the conflict of interest & the line, "even if he wasn't doing both at the same time".

Phil Hogan has cancelled planning inquiries that were due to be investigated throughout the country. Do you believe Raymon that those inquiries should go ahead?

Any action that uncovers fraudsters should go ahead .

• Advertisement

Any action that uncovers fraudsters should go ahead .

Ok so, Am I right in thinking that you are in favour of Phil Hogan changing policy & allowing planning inquiries in a number of counties? Have you ever wondered why he stopped them in the first place? I'm wondering because you state that (and I quote) "Any action that uncovers fraudsters should go ahead".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Looks like he gets 4 years in year, surprised this is mentioned in the politics section already

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/ex-fg-cllr-fred-forsey-jnr-sentenced-to-six-years-in-jail-for-pocketing-80k-in-bribes-3152022.html

rodento wrote: »

Great news ..... finally someone jailed for accepting bribes .

Great news ..... finally someone jailed for accepting bribes .

There are plenty more like him, let off the hook by Hogan. Hopefully it will send out a message to the rotten apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Finally.

Next case please.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    There are plenty more like him, let off the hook by Hogan. Hopefully it will send out a message to the rotten apples.

But an enquiry or tribunal will not solve anything.

Have we not learned from the past....... look at Lowry, look at Bertie, are they in jail? No they are certainly not. In fact one of these is sitting in the Dail

You don't need overpaid judges to investigate for years and produce a report that can't be used in evidence.

As we saw in this Forsey case , all it takes is one or two brave citizens to make a complaint directly to the Gardai with real evidence and next thing the corrupt is behind bars.

So let's bring on the next case , let's get them all behind bars.

Who will be brave enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Why are the media not mentioning the name of the man who supposedly bribed Forsey?

If the alleged briber cannot be named in public, why should the unfortunate Forsey be jailed at all?

I wonder what the odds of him doing jail would be were he a former FF CLLR during the reign of a FF government?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

Why are the media not mentioning the name of the man who supposedly bribed Forsey?

If the alleged briber cannot be named in public, why should the unfortunate Forsey be jailed at all?

The developer's case is still pending, which is why he couldn't be named. Both were arrested at the same time in 2010.

• Advertisement

There is nothing unfortunate about a man that pockets 80,000 euro in corrupt payments.

A conviction rarely happens but in this case justice was served.

There is nothing unfortunate about a man that pockets 80,000 euro in corrupt payments.

A conviction rarely happens but in this case justice was served.

Justice was served but it is unlikely to be served again anytime soon, thanks to Minister Hogan.
    Why?

Justice was served but it is unlikely to be served again anytime soon, thanks to Minister Hogan.
    Why?

Agreed. The real reason that Forsey was convicted was because of a scorned woman, his wife. Hell hath no fury and all that. Hogan has put a lid on it alright, a total disgrace, to cover up or protect FG, as IMO there would be thousands of such cases, the ones who took bribes and the developers who bribed. I would bet that there is not a County Council in Ireland that is totally clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

An appropriate consequence for taking bribes. As well as jail time he should be hit with a fine of 100,000e (80,000 for the bribes he took and 20,000 as penalty)

An appropriate consequence for taking bribes. As well as jail time he should be hit with a fine of 100,000e (80,000 for the bribes he took and 20,000 as penalty)

How much should Lowry be fined for both bribes & penalties in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

How much should Lowry be fined for both bribes & penalties in your opinion?

He should be prosecuted and if found guilty in court he should be jailed for what I would think would be a longer period that Forsey and required to pay 5/4 of the amount he took in bribes (so that's pay back monies given to him plus a quarter more as penalty for taking money)

He should be prosecuted and if found guilty in court he should be jailed for what I would think would be a longer period that Forsey and required to pay 5/4 of the amount he took in bribes (so that's pay back monies given to him plus a quarter more as penalty for taking money)

I agree Laminations , but who will be brave enough to report him to the Gardai with real evidence?????

I agree Laminations , but who will be brave enough to report him to the Gardai with real evidence?????

Also, who will be brave enough to report the councillors around the country? Only for Forsey's marriage break-up, that case may never have come to light. That case should force Phil Hogan into a rethink.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Also, who will be brave enough to report the councillors around the country? Only for Forsey's marriage break-up, that case may never have come to light. That case should force Phil Hogan into a rethink.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Indeed that appears to be the case. Now that FG are in power it does not want to grasp the many nettles or deal with the corrosive corrupt culture that is/has been part of Irish life. We see the likes of the Quinns getting special treatment, Lowry and O'Brien and the mobile phone licence. Nobody yet brought to book over the Anglo Irish scandal and all the other matters.

Hogan can pretend all he likes, but voters now know that he does not do what it says on the tin, just a weak imitation with no substance. We deserve the politicians we get and look where we are now, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

rodento wrote: »

Ha, I wouldn't hold by breath waiting for some decisive action from Kenny if I were you.

He knew about the Forsey corruption allegations, yet did not act upon them.

Enda Kenny was told about bribes in 2007
    Taoiseach Enda Kenny and senior Fine Gael figures were made aware of corruption allegations surrounding the Fred Forsey case as early as 2007, yet failed to act.

Waterford TD John Deasy brought the matter to the attention of his party leader and other colleagues during a meeting which was also attended by current party chairman Charles Flanagan.

Advertisement