Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

so skyline is gone, help me find new car!

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Cars that are big NO NO:

merc e200
    bmw 3 series
    Saab ( misses dislike them )
    volvo s40
    audi a2 a3 a4 a6 a8 TT - insert any audi there.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

on EGR thingy now, BMW lads are just disconecting them or puting in bypass valves... looks like its piss easy job too. If i can disconnect it so easy, then reconnect it for nct same way, then maybe there is no problem so?

outside of EGR valve, any other issues of diesels on short runs? or EGR is the main problem?

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91485

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

on EGR thingy now, BMW lads are just disconecting them or puting in bypass valves... looks like its piss easy job too. If i can disconnect it so easy, then reconnect it for nct same way, then maybe there is no problem so?

outside of EGR valve, any other issues of diesels on short runs? or EGR is the main problem?

EGR valve is easy to clean out once a year anyhow so wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

conzymaher wrote: »

well, i never asked missis ... when bought skyline, than punto, than avensis ... if missis choose car, than might let her pick the car, and you just agree ??? or get car for missis, make her happy, and drive car what you like. my missis never asked what kind food or bed cloth to buy, as i never interested in that house hold things.
    I cant judge, as everyone have own live and relations.

conzymaher wrote: »

i like saabs, but i find their interriors damn horrible. they havent changed for years and look very dated. Misses has a saying in it too, so if she says no, it means no. same as i will say no to pink fluffy unicorn car.

audi - i dont want to start fanboy warfare 3 here, but it is most over rated car in my books. for same money you might aswell go with BMW or merc. then again the amount of AUDIs in my friends garage is shocking. the only one which is most reliable of them all was old audi 80. I will admit, that i had a look at A6 and i like what i see, but i know how crappy those are when something goes bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

2.0l Turbo Petrol Subaru Forester 2005 (48k miles) fully specd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Lexus IS 250?

Quick, lovely car to drive & top class finish inside..and only 16 miles on clock:eek:

Or a 2.4L Accord for <€5K?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

2.0l Turbo Petrol Subaru Forester 2005 (48k miles) fully specd.

my friend has one, no dout its a quick bus, but tisnt a car and tisnt a jeep , they should have called it a subaru tisnt, and the passanger windows are so big youd have to make sure youve clean socks on when your leaving the house, sitting there on display.

Mar4ix wrote: »
    well, i never asked missis ... when bought skyline, than punto, than avensis ... if missis choose car, than might let her pick the car, and you just agree ??? or get car for missis, make her happy, and drive car what you like. my missis never asked what kind food or bed cloth to buy, as i never interested in that house hold things.
    I cant judge, as everyone have own live and relations.

i love my misses, and i will rip someones head for her. in 8++ years, she newer told me a thing when i bought:

every single console in the market
    2x gaming PC. one of them costed 1.2k eu back then and my newest PC ( 4 months old) is clocking up 2k eu.
    my huge collection of video games, which would be about 5k+++ eu over the years.
    skyline, merc clk200, mx5.
    she gave me back to drive mx5, when she so what 500eu ford mondeo does to me, when i need to drive it from day to day. She drove ****y 500eu mondeo and newer told me a thing. i gave it back to her now for summer, so it would put smile on her face.

i dont know how other live with their misses, but my misses really puts up with my **** for very long, and i dont see an issue to listen to her opinion too. From all car i mentioned, she only said no about Saab, i have no problem with that.

• Advertisement

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Yep, my brother got one of these when his land cruiser went in for some work. 2.0L D4D, it was quick!

ah jesus lads, dont bury me just yet! i am not in avensis range yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I can see a full-blown row break out in Polish between the 2 lads :eek:

vectra wrote: »
    EGR valve is easy to clean out once a year anyhow so wouldn't worry about it.

so if EGR valve is not an issue and to be honest, its not the hardest thing to clean up and sort out, then for low millage 530d wont be an issue? i will just go and disconect it after buying damn thing and wont worry about it untill next NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

i like saabs, but i find their interriors damn horrible. they havent changed for years and look very dated. Misses has a saying in it too, so if she says no, it means no. same as i will say no to pink fluffy unicorn car.

audi - i dont want to start fanboy warfare 3 here, but it is most over rated car in my books. for same money you might aswell go with BMW or merc. then again the amount of AUDIs in my friends garage is shocking. the only one which is most reliable of them all was old audi 80. I will admit, that i had a look at A6 and i like what i see, but i know how crappy those are when something goes bad.

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

so if EGR valve is not an issue and to be honest, its not the hardest thing to clean up and sort out, then for low millage 530d wont be an issue? i will just go and disconect it after buying damn thing and wont worry about it untill next NCT.

Is there something about swirl flaps in those 3.0 engines as well?

Is there something about swirl flaps in those 3.0 engines as well?

good question, i know i heard it, but dont know much about this problem, need to look in to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

good question, i know i heard it, but dont know much about this problem, need to look in to it now.

Why pay a premium for a diesel vehicle when you won't gain much in terms of economy benefits from it? There is also more potential for issues.

Why pay a premium for a diesel vehicle when you won't gain much in terms of economy benefits from it? There is also more potential for issues.

well thats why i do these threads, so people like you can give me more info on situation and a second opinion.

anyway, just read more about those swirl flaps and it is just shocking to say the least. :eek:
    looks like there are good few aftermarket solutions for it. bottom line is: if you buy any BMW diesel, there is a small list of things to do:

upgrade swirl flaps.
    take out and give a clean to EGR valve.
    upgrade/change turbo filter.

in the end 530d might go off my books. I might find a 530i, but it is really rare here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Would a Volvo C30 be too small?

• Advertisement

10 mile spins is too short to heat them

Depends on the make and model I suppose.
    problem is - there is no 530i out there. i prefer e60 over e39 too.

Wasn't there a 530i E60?
    Edit, just saw 'tis the rarity is the issue.

Brian wrote: »
    Would a Volvo C30 be too small?

to be honest i ruled out c30, s40 and s60. if i would go for volvo i would go all the way with s80.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3290729

RoverJames wrote: »
    Depends on the make and model I suppose.

Wasn't there a 530i E60?
    Edit, just saw 'tis the rarity is the issue.

there was, but those are damn rare! You know all that craze with dirty diesel etc. :( for 1 530i you get 10 530d. and prices of 530d are even cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

........ and prices of 530d are even cheaper!

That's a decent point, I was looking at e39 a few weeks back, a 530i or even a 525i are quite expensive in comparison to 530d models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3316002

needs eibach springs but lot of car for the cash (offer less)

RoverJames wrote: »
    That's a decent point, I was looking at e39 a few weeks back, a 530i or even a 525i are quite expensive in comparison to 530d models.

that is the thing, the whole extra premium for a diesel is out of the window as diesel ones are more common and cheaper. i know for my millage such diesel cars sounds really silly, but i am looking more in to its power with an addition of having good mpg. still, good bit of work needs to be done for these diesel engines. I am getting common sense beaten in to me little by little. I might skip on 530d. unfortunatley 525i 530i are damn rare. if i am willing to do that over 2.0 jump i might as well go 2.5, not 2.2 (520i) as its tiny difference in tax.

this OPc is for sale on donedeal. Wheels look really scuffed though. can anyone explain if that dash is nor mal too? as it went as xmas lights. funny fact about opel astra/corsa OPC - those dont have water tempreture gage... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Tigger wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3316002

needs eibach springs but lot of car for the cash (offer less)

If he thinks an ST is underpowered compared to the engine, he sure as hell isn't gonna go for that :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

If he thinks an ST is underpowered compared to the engine, he sure as hell isn't gonna go for that :P

were we not talking

530d's a minute ago?

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    were we not talking

530d's a minute ago?

530d has one thing better over mondeo. its a car! :p

*sorry for cheekiness.

sorry, in price range i just see better options then focus ST: mazda MPS, Opel astra OPC, Corse OPC.

Advertisement