Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are people so fearful of burglaries at night?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Because the night is dark and full of terrors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 couch_dweller

M cebee wrote: »
    response time can be slow out the country these days with closures etc

not the guards fault

a good dog and a shotgun is yer only man

knives are no use,they'll take it off you

station closesures have resulted in the nearest guards being six mile away rather than three or four in most cases , the effect is pretty marginal as its not as if they ever slid down a pole ( ala batman ) and took off right away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Because I live in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Take it to bed every night.

Weapon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

saa wrote: »
    Because I live in Tallaght.

Yeah those rover's fans can be something alright :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

M cebee wrote: »
    response time can be slow out the country these days with closures etc

not the guards fault

a good dog and a shotgun is yer only man

knives are no use,they'll take it off you

station closesures have resulted in the nearest guards being six mile away rather than three or four in most cases , the effect is pretty marginal as its not as if they ever slid down a pole ( ala batman ) and took off right away

My nearest station at night is 12 miles away and that's closer than some other people living in this part of the country so it's not the least bit 'marginal'

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Snowie wrote: »
    my dog sleeps bye the door and patrols the house at night... thats what a dogs for, a deterrent and if the dumb fvcks still try break in there just stupid...

Your dog sounds like a boss. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

EDIT...

my bad I read the thread as buggery at night, beg your pardon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Well you clearly live in a city, good for you

There is the rest of Ireland to think about

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Most burglaries take place during the day when people are at work. Its much easier to get in and out unnoticed if the house is empty. So being afraid of getting burgled at night is silly. I've got 2 large german shepards so I'm not too worried about burglars, my house has never been broken into.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

MadYaker wrote: »
    So being afraid of getting burgled at night is silly.....

.....my house has never been broken into.

Well there you go

And lots of people don't bother with any security until after the fact

Lots of people don't worry about any sort of crime until it happens to them.
    But you can't dismiss worrying as silly

most of the cases I hear of here happen because someone notices or knows that the family is on holiday or there has been a death so they target the place, sickens me.

You have to be careful, my friend got a mate to mind the place ironically when he was away and I think his mate mentioned he was minding the place and well he got back to a broken window and everything gone and left in a mess, it was a flat at the back of a house without its own front door so you would of have to know he was out it was very convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Amazing amount of people who think a dog is protection. Dogs can and have been poisoned. Good alarm system. Good dual lock system and discrete CCTV will do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

I always lock the bedroom door when going to bed at night. I know its highly unlikely a burglar will come upstairs but it makes me feel better somehow!

Never been burgled myself, but two friends of mine have been burgled twice, both times at night.

They took money & booze. Didn't take laptops, phones, cars etc. Must have been junkies.

I reckon its one of the worst things you can ever do is to break into another persons home! scum!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Amazing amount of people who think a dog is protection. Dogs can and have been poisoned.
    True enough. Heard of it happening. I've been lucky and it was more luck than judgement, that all but one of the dogs I've had were very "pack" orientated and wouldn't take any food if it didn't come from me. Many moons ago I let my last dog out last thing at night and and he came back in a bit of an agitated and aggressive state and then indicated to me this lump of meat in the garden. Didn't eat it though. As for CCTV, I'd say overt rather than discrete is the way to go. GIve as many signals as possible that your house or car is just too much hassle. Scum, being scum are in the majority of cases opportunistic and/or dribbling morons. Easy enough to confuse, or at least delay to the point of confusion. Those that come out with "Ahh sure, if they want it they'll get it" really tick me off. Usually a case of defeatism. Yes, of course no security is insurmountable, but you can strive to make it as much of a pain in the arse as possible. Make the scum earn it.

I'd add one thing. Double glazing. Most double glazing is fitted from the outside, with a plastic strip that when easily removed makes taking out your entire window a doddle. Really thick design. If you have such a set up and most of us have, then I would suggest going around each window, removing said strip and glazing and silicone seal the window in. Add a few self tappers for extra security. Patio doors another weak point. Google is your friend on how to secure them more. Cars? Fit an alarm. A proper one. Properly fitted and hidden.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So, would people prefer a local station with the garda stuck minding the station during the burglary or a less local station with more gardaí who can respond during a burglary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

bn stalkin dem lanes with my crowbar

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lock up your jewellery, I've sent my crew to steal gold tonight. :pac:

Victor wrote: »
    So, would people prefer a local station with the garda stuck minding the station during the burglary or a less local station with more gardaí who can respond during a burglary.

I would prefer a local garda in the local station who when you rang could get into a squad car and head for your house, already knowing where it is because he is local. While he is gone the station will be able to look after itself and any other call can be routed to him through command and control where the phone would be automatically diverted if not answered.

I always lock the bedroom door when going to bed at night. I know its highly unlikely a burglar will come upstairs but it makes me feel better somehow!

Ah flip I live in a ground floor flat in an area with high incidents of burglaries :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Welruc

Because the night is dark and full of terrors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I reckon its one of the worst things you can ever do is to break into another persons home! scum!!!
    That as much as having posessions stolen is what upsets more , that some scumbag has violated the sanctity and privacy of the home and if it's easy for them to break in then we could try make it as hard for them to break out ...to the point were the bastads wish they had never set foot in your home .

I have heard of one ex army guy who set trip wires attached to flares around his home ...that would freak any would be burglar out . Booby traps ftw .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Latchy wrote: »

I have heard of one ex army guy who set trip wires attached to flares around his home ...that would freak any would be burglar out . Booby traps ftw .

Now there's one house I wouldn't want to burgal! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Ring the Guards and tell them you have just shot an intruder dead. They'll be around in about 10 seconds and probably with armed police if they think a firearm is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would prefer a local garda in the local station who when you rang could get into a squad car and head for your house, already knowing where it is because he is local. While he is gone the station will be able to look after itself and any other call can be routed to him through command and control where the phone would be automatically diverted if not answered.
    So, all the bad guys have to do is burgle two places at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Heckler wrote: »
    Ring the Guards and tell them you have just shot an intruder dead. They'll be around in about 10 seconds and probably with armed police if they think a firearm is involved.

They'd probably charge you for wasting police time! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭iguy

Jaysus, I'd be like a looney, I'd go after them with me big stick!!!

Victor wrote: »
    So, all the bad guys have to do is burgle two places at the same time?

The odds of two travelling gangs burgling the same rural area at the same time?? Very very long. And at that point the district HQ send a car out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

id love to wake up and catch the burglar then beat the crap out of him.

then piss in his mouth and sodomize him :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The odds of two travelling gangs burgling the same rural area at the same time?? Very very long.
    That wouldn't be chance, it would be planned.

Advertisement