Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Order Of Malta Info Please (",)

• 03-05-2012 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi Folks ....

Just looking for some information on what kind of work order of malta members do and what is involved in meetings etc.

I Am an avid motorcyclist and attend between 8 - 10 ride outs and meets a year. I figure its only a matter of time before I come across a situation / incident either on the road or at work which I might be able to help.
    I have just completed a fetec level 5 occupational first aid course and found that I am really interested on expanding on what I have learned & also I don't want to forget what I have learned. My town (Tuam / Galway) has an order of malta unit and I am wondering how they operate. Only thing is I work approx 50 - 60 hours per week which can include evenings and most weekends and I also have two children at home (3&4) So I guess what im wondering is would I be able to become a serious participating member taking all of the above in to consideration.

Any info be appreciated...

CB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

Hi Folks ....

Just looking for some information on what kind of work order of malta members do and what is involved in meetings etc.

I Am an avid motorcyclist and attend between 8 - 10 ride outs and meets a year. I figure its only a matter of time before I come across a situation / incident either on the road or at work which I might be able to help.
    I have just completed a fetec level 5 occupational first aid course and found that I am really interested on expanding on what I have learned & also I don't want to forget what I have learned. My town (Tuam / Galway) has an order of malta unit and I am wondering how they operate. Only thing is I work approx 50 - 60 hours per week which can include evenings and most weekends and I also have two children at home (3&4) So I guess what im wondering is would I be able to become a serious participating member taking all of the above in to consideration.

Any info be appreciated...

CB

You should definitely join. I was never in the order, but was in the st johns ambulance and the red cross for years. Used to go to lots of public events and basically provide first aid cover to the public. Then we'd have weekly meetings where we'd train in first aid scenarios. I met some great mates doing it, and it gets you used to dealing with sick people. There's also opportunity to train up to EMT level with most of the voluntary organisations.

One thing I didn't like (and was why I left the st johns) was that some of the units can be very "military" in their structure. They had corporals and lieutenants and other ranks, and used to have uniform inspections while people stood to attention etc.

But overall, joining the vols served me very well in life, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Only thing is I work approx 50 - 60 hours per week which can include evenings and most weekends and I also have two children at home (3&4) So I guess what im wondering is would I be able to become a serious participating member taking all of the above in to consideration.

In short yes you can be a serious participating member of the unit. Most OiC's don't mind how much or how little time you can commit once you are consistent in your volunteering whether thats a few hours a month or a few hours a week.

Best thing to do would be to contact the officer in charge of the Unit and explain how much time you can commit. The OiC in Tuam is Sandra and you can email her at tuam@orderofmalta.ie or phone 087 2284554 .

The other two Units in the locality would be Galway and Mervue units

Want any more info / have questions on OMAC feel free to PM me and I'll happily fill you in

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cyberblade 918c

Thanks very much folks ..... ;):D

Really appreciate it

CB

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

I have just completed a fetec level 5 occupational first aid course and found that I am really interested on expanding on what I have learned & also I don't want to forget what I have learned.

You'll have to have your OFA recognised through RPL (Recognistion of Prior Learning), which is simple enough if you already have your cert. Keeping up your skills is also easy, with weekly training and as many duties as you can do. But as for expanding on your training, don't hold your breath. I've been hearing for the past two years that the course I want is "soon." :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not faulting OMAC. If I wasn't happy with it, I wouldn't have stuck around so long! But I'm sure you know how Beaurocracies work? Slowly. Well, OMAC has it's fair share of Voluntary (read: "slower") Beaurocracy.

Don't let that put you off though. I've got a heapload of experience in the meantime that I would'nt have got if I shelled out the money for a private course. ;)

Advertisement