Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

It sounds like a crock of sh1t already. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I pretty well detest MMORPGs so I won't be partaking in this, yet I completely fail to see why its existance would offend so many. I'm pretty sure you will be able to write the lore it will contribute to TES universe on the back of a stamp.

Much like 'Fallout Tactics' I'm sure I will be able to get by happily pretending it never existed.

Why ? ?

Skyrim is becoming famous for it 1 million downloads of mods. Scrap that and lets make another world of warcraft :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

marco_polo wrote: »
    I pretty well detest MMORPGs so I won't be partaking in this, yet I completely fail to see why its existance would offend so many. I'm pretty sure you will be able to write the lore it will contribute to TES universe on the back of a stamp.

Much like 'Fallout Tactics' I'm sure I will be able to get by happily pretending it never existed.
    A properly made MMO in the TES world could be amazing. And a lot of people hoped that that would happen. Instead they're offering what sounds like a generic cash-in. Even if it's a good game, I can't imagine there being a whole host of people queing up to play it. And so if this WoW clone fails, then there'll be no hope of a proper TES MMO being made in the future.

Even if you don't play MMORPG's, surely you can see the missed potential?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Why ? ?

Skyrim is becoming famous for it 1 million downloads of mods. Scrap that and lets make another world of warcraft :(

Yep over 10 million in sales of Skyrim, I'd say as a single player series TES is finished alright.

humanji wrote: »
    A properly made MMO in the TES world could be amazing. And a lot of people hoped that that would happen. Instead they're offering what sounds like a generic cash-in. Even if it's a good game, I can't imagine there being a whole host of people queing up to play it. And so if this WoW clone fails, then there'll be no hope of a proper TES MMO being made in the future.

Even if you don't play MMORPG's, surely you can see the missed potential?

Fair enough, I having no interest in MMORPG's myself I hadn't considered that perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The easy way to think of it is someone saying that you're invited to party with a superstar, and then you get there to find it's Ryan Tubridy! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm far from an Elder Scrolls fan - would go as far as calling myself a cynic - but I fully agree they appear to have seriously missed an opportunity here. A world of the scale and graphical detail of Skyrim but filled with other people instead of dead eyed automatons is a potentially exciting thing.

We're getting a cartoonish WoW clone by the looks and sounds of it. That's a goddamn shame, goddammit. I guess it makes sense to design a game that encourages subscription fees, no matter what lazy gameplay choices it entails. We can continue dreaming of a world with ambitious online experiences rather than the same old stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I was excited when i first heard about this. Imagine hundreds of people filling up the streets of the imperial city with bottles of wine ad carrots.

Then i saw screenshots of what looks like a WoW clone and he excitement went.:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha, the logo for the game is a broach featuring three snakes / dragons eating their own tails - a sign commonly signifying eternity. Seems somewhat apt given the neverending, grind-happy genre Elder Scrolls is now indulging in.
    humanji wrote: »
    This has got to be one of the more cynical game ideas to come out of the industry. Take a well loved, money-making game, get rid of everything but the lore and pop it into the standard MMORPG template.

It may end up an enjoyable romp, but I can't see myself even being arsed to sign up for the Beta.

I don't even call it cynical; I call it boneheaded. Disregarding WoW, surely the MMO market is too fraught & too precarious that a punt like this makes sense. The MMO graveyard is full of games that flopped spectacularly, despite big names or big money behind them. Also, I don't see the natural overlap between people who play / love Elder Scrolls & people who love MMOs, so I can't see where the natural player base is going to come from...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

After proven that games can be a success without multiplayer, they add multiplayer.
    I don't want people stealing my kills, i don't want to group up and play, if i did i would be playing Star Wars or WOW already. MMORPGs, in my opinion are all the same and they are all boring and tedious.
    Bethesda shant be getting a pre-order of me this time around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

No love for this at all then? As a big fan of the Elder Scrolls Series I am willing to give it a chance, its still early days. I prob wont keep tabs on the game so as to not build myself up to anything...but by the looks from what I am reading I wont have to worry about that ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Introduction trailer released today:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

IF they get it right it could be huge, i just have my doubts if they can do it

I dunno, I'm still very sceptical; there's no doubt the game looks the part - I saw enough enemies and environments that made me say "yes, that's Tamriel", but I genuinely don't think there's a huge overlap between those who loves the TES series & those who play MMOs.

Nor is the mythology that strong to think TES fans would clamber to play it. Bethesda did just as nicely out of Fallout as they did with Elder Scrolls: it's the experience their hacky GameBryo engine offers that draws people in, not the lore. Make your own adventure, in a world unmolested by other human players; sure it's a bit anti-social but that's the point - it's your adventure, nobody elses'

What I heard in the video could have been referring to any number of MMOs from the last 10 years; and considering how shallow & grind-based questing tends to be in MMOs, I doubt there'll be much depth behind the vistas of Tamriel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Agree totally. I really want to play this, just not with other people. I'd have the same feelings about Fallout Online should it ever appear. MMOs don't interest me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I'll be buying it, but i might wait for the wow community to get bored with it first and leave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'll be buying it, but i might wait for the wow community to get bored with it first and leave.

What hurt the most when watching that video is they used wow terminology :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'd be interested in getting it,depending on reviews,will there be a monthly sub I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

I'd be interested in getting it,depending on reviews,will there be a monthly sub I wonder.

While in my heart, I know this will probably be likely, if the can get the mechanics of it right (based on the latest introductory trailer they have the look right), then I'd nearly be happy to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I won't be getting it if there's a subscription model too it, I'm a college student with little enough money as it is and in any case, I've out-grown (for lack of a better word) subscription based games after five or six years playing RuneScape.

It does look great and I'd play it even if it was essentially another WoW clone, if there is no subscriptions. That will make or break it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

some excellent FMV, and beta is taking signups now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Signed up for beta.
    HUGH potential here but as with all new MMO games these days, I'll remain skeptical and try keep my hopes to a minimum.

WoW set one heck of a benchmark. And no one has really come close to it in regards to the fantasy mmorpg genre.

One can only hope cause I'm bored with wow now.

Also this thread should probably be in the "Massively Multiplayer" forum...

I'm not going to play it, which has automatically increased it's chances of not sucking.

Now if only Dcully refuses to play, it's guaranteed to be a success.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Looks horrible. The landscapes look fairly Elder Scrolls but the characters and animations are quite cartoonish.

I think there might be something fundamentally wrong with the concept of an MMO. I've tried a few. The only one I could stomach for any length was Eve Online, and while I can admit it is not for everyone, you have to admit that a libertarian, Mad Max-in-space, corporatist, tranhumanist sci-fi game is at least a unique project. The WoW formula is just so redundant. A lot of people don't seem to realise that MMO doesn't necessarily mean "WoW-like" game. As soon as I start hearing people talk about "tanks", "priests" etc, as though they were just objective and universal things like sunlight and gravity I completely lose interest. Being honest though, I didn't even enjoy Skyrim that much: It was fairly MMO-like itself with the cookie-cutter characters and quests, phoned-in stories and characters, etc. The need to make vast quantities of content to satisfy the needs of millions of users...it just leads to superficiality and repetition.

I signed up for the beta, largely to confirm my suspicions.

Wow, this looks pretty awful.

http://vimeo.com/64004925

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Yeah looks pretty bad, still early days though so i'll wait properly until its out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I don't see what's wrong with the video.

The guy recording has HORRIBLE FPS, but other than that (considering it's early, early BETA) it looks like.... An Elder Scrolls game :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I don't see what's wrong with the video.

The guy recording has HORRIBLE FPS, but other than that (considering it's early, early BETA) it looks like.... An Elder Scrolls game :S

Saw a lot of people complaining on the comments section of PC Gamer about this video. A lot of people complaining that it looks just like any other MMO, with an Elder Scrolls skin.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/14/here-are-20-leaky-minutes-of-elder-scrolls-online-footage/

Advertisement