Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holidays on the Shannon

Options
  • 02-05-2012 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and was just wondering if there was a thread about holidays on the shannon discussing boats for hire, likely fuel costs, where to go and what to do?

Considering taking the family this year but don't want the kids to be bored if it's not suitable.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

What age are the kids? We used to have a boat on the inland waterways and I used to love going to it until up to about 14 by which time I got very bored every time we went.
    It is quite expensive also, the biggest hire company is emerald star so check out their website for starters.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Lough key would be a good place to stop off they have just opened a new mooring and there is an adventure playground for the kids.
    Also check out http://www.iwai.ie/forum/list.php?1 you should find answers to all your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Emerald star may be the biggest but http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.silverlinecruisers.com%2F&ei=pZOhT8bGOsfLhAeH2YTQCA&usg=AFQjCNGKlMdkWSzohfA9F61prPa8P03Y6Q&sig2=tAmxPz7eYgwng1uwnC9yRw

these guys have the newest and best equipped boats on the water,family run buisness also so no harm to ask for best deal on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Simona1986 wrote: »
    What age are the kids? We used to have a boat on the inland waterways and I used to love going to it until up to about 14 by which time I got very bored every time we went.
    It is quite expensive also, the biggest hire company is emerald star so check out their website for starters.

Its not that much if you are cooking on board etc very relaxing holiday , the biggest factor is the friggin weather , highly recommend giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Thanks all for the replys , kids are 11 and 8 and while can occupy themselves to a point I am fearfull of cabin fever!

Was looking at the prices and while they all vary, I am wary of the fuel charge that you can be hit with. I know its not like a car where you can do so many miles to the gallon, but what is it likely to be after a 3 or 7 day trip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

On average you will use 6 litres per hour at 170 c/litre.Average about 3/4 hours a day cruising max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 masterchef

youknowwho wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm new to the forum and was just wondering if there was a thread about holidays on the shannon discussing boats for hire, likely fuel costs, where to go and what to do?

Considering taking the family this year but don't want the kids to be bored if it's not suitable.

Thanks in advance

Hi youknowho

Your children are of a perfect age to have a ball if you cruise instead of full steam ahead it will work out about €30 a day on diesel thats if you are moving every day some stay in the same spot for a couple of days, but if you get the weather it could be the best holiday you ever took your family on. You have all the nessasery things on board to make it a floating apartment.

Good luck and hopefully if you do go we might meet in passing .

Advertisement