Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye Bye wheat and Dairy = Weight loss?

Options
  • 02-05-2012 2:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭

Been trying to lose a bitta weight for the last while. lose a bit then get distracted/lazy.

I have been hearing a lot about dairy and wheat lately. is cutting out dairy and wheat as much as possible aid weight loss substanially, when coupled with cardio and weights?

Also does anyone have a link to a good list that displays the main foods in this category to avoid, as there are a few meals/foods im not sure about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

First of all read the stickys....

Have never heard anything about cutting out diary and wheat????
    Cutting down on carbs , increasing protein and good fats is the best way to go imo.

Also take a look at myfitnesspal

edit - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055157091

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

SunnyDub1 - there are numerous threads about cutting out wheat.

OP I would cut out one first (preferably wheat), see how you get on and then cut out the other.

There's no point in doing too much too soon as you'll get cravings.

Best of luck :)

Edit: Also OP weight loss is achieved by having a calories deficit. By not eating wheat you would be creating a deficit - as long as your not replacing it with something in higher calories.

Work out your calories from the stickies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

From a purely pragmatic point of view, if you cut out wheat you are cutting out

cake
    bread
    lots of processed meats (sausages/spams)
    pasta

so you're cutting out a lot of "junk" foot that people eat. If you can't have bread, then maybe you'll have a salad rather than a sandwich and hence more fruit and veg?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The majority of junk is cut out, once you remove wheat, 90% i'd guess

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're wasting your time eliminating something from your diet if you attempt to replace it with a direct alternative, e.g. switching to wheat-free bread or soya milk. These can often be much higher in calories than the "original" they're replacing.

As pointed out above, eliminating wheat and dairy from one's diet has the effect of ruling out 90% of your junk food intake, but it can at times be quite difficult to maintain as you come to grips with finding foods that are free from wheat and dairy but not loaded with sugars and fats.

Most people who opt for a diet where they cut out something, will have to turn to preparing most of their meals from scratch using fresh ingredients. Prepared foods, whether it's an O'Brien's sandwich or a salad from the deli counter in work, will contain wheat or dairy in one form or another. (salads usually have dairy-based dressings and croutons)

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it still requires focus and effort and is arguably harder than plain old watching what you eat. If getting distracted or getting lazy about your diet is your problem, then I would fear that you're not likely to fare any better on a wheat-free and dairy-free diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

no does not = weight loss. I've found it takes a lot more work, focus and mental strenght to cut out and avoid specific things especially if you're out for food and you get that fall off the wagon thing. I've been slowly getting rid of lower quality carbs so I've been eating a lot more fruit and veg this hasnt brought with it weight loss its only fuel you can't eat to lose weight, I havent lost much weight because I have college finals and did my back in with circuit training.

If you think nutritionally and for long term health benefits cutting something will be good go for it but if its going to cause a feeling of deprivation don't, cut down on things get your diet into balance over time and put your focus into building up for fitness to lose weight as i find starting all guns blazing for working out isn't sustainable either.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Most people I know lose about 7lb from cutting out wheat and nothing else. But yeah, if you just replace it with wheat free bread it's not going to work.

I think it's a good heuristic for getting used to fresh unprocessed food. Any form of wheat we eat by definition is highly processed and very palatable.

I'd say give it a go for a week or two and see how you get on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

Gym patterns for me can be quite irregular (3 times a week then non for 3 weeks kinda thing) which i'm going to have to focus more on. However I know I eat a fair bit of trash. have a salad most days for lunch but problems arise with breakfast and the rest of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

TomKat my thoughts on this is as long as you can do it consistently and it won't wreck your head do it to better yourself..some people say cut carbs, wheat, dairy, certain fats, pesticides, toxins but i wouldnt be able to do that all at once so im taking one thing at a time to cut back on as Ive been eating badly for years before last year so it takes time to integrate big dietary/lifestyle changes like I would work on the gym attendance and get really used to that to the point where you crave exercise and don't have to focus so much on remembering to go, there are some things I want to cut down to almost nothing in my diet but I still trying to adjust to high intensity exercise being part of my life as well, it takes up a lot of my headspace!

Advertisement