Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Crapness of your Hometown

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Like most people in this thread I have to say Tipp town is the pits. My father is originally form there and I remember even as a kid, I hated going up there to visit. Just passing through the town would put a downer on your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    Never saw much wrong with Sligo to be honest. I mean nothing spectacular, but seems ok? Spent a few days there about 5 years ago.

Letterkenny was far from the worst too.

Easily the best rural small town type place for me is Carrick-on-Shannon. Really nice place IME.

Is Balbriggan not soul destroyingly awful though? That's the way I remember it anyway.

I grew up there its class!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I grew up in Galway so can't really complain.

My mother, however, hails from one of the most desperately, inbred little ****holes ever to fester in this country. Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet: Tullow, Co. Carlow. A violent, ignorant, ra-head filled dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 asha1979

blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Have lived in Navan all my life and can never understand the amount of abuse it gets for being such a 'bad town'. It really isn't. Navan is a great town with even better people. It has been hugely developed in the past few years which brings its advantages and disadvantages. There are good and bad everywhere but I've been to so many towns in this country that are alot less appealing visually and haven't got the sense of community and characters that Navan has. I'd challenge anybody to give me a logical and rational reason/s for why the town I love is so apparently undesirable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Fermoy in Cork is quite the shít hole, thankfully it's not my hometown!

An abundance of Gardaí there though, You wouldn't even want to carry a packet of skins on you. Never known a town of its size to have so many cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Wandered down shop street in Galway today, it was like Mardi Gras meets the UN meets some sort of futuristic market scene, you know what I'm talking about. There was a colourful dude riding a unicycle with his hands and an elegant bit of exotica from Japan serenely cross legged next to a spread silk sheet of her miniature watercolour paintings, while over in the other corner a gang of bould celts were belting out the jigs and reels. Some guy dressed like shrubbery was bellowing how he was with the special branch. Glorious mayhem, beautiful bedlam, a mad festival without a reason for it.

I didn't pay much heed because thats just a normal Saturday in Galway, but this thread made me reflect for a moment.

So yeah, not crap at all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

gavinwavin wrote: »
    Cannot fathom how Gort hasn't been mentioned yet. Maybe it's been forgotten since they finished the bypass

Yeah it's a ghost town now. My Dad's family are from there and I attended baby infants there. Delighted we moved but some people would say moving from Gort to Tuam was a bit sideways. I disagree...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

CJC999 wrote: »
    I'm from letterkenny and think its a brilliant town.

Sligo...now that is one miserbale shíthole that i would hate to have to live in.
    Sligo - where hope goes to die.

Sorry I might be biased but I really don't see how Sligo Town can be classed as a Shíthole. Yes the town planning and weird traffic are definitely a downer but apart from that it's a very scenic area with loads of facilities, an eclectic night life, loads of clubs, festivals and events and it isn't overrun with knackers like many other towns are. Cranmore would be considered the 'bad' area of Sligo and it's still a clean and open place, the kind of place you could walk though at night.

Advertisement