Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pride FC vs UFC

Options
  • 01-05-2012 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

What are your thoughts on modern day UFC in comparison to Pride?

Personally, I have pretty much given up on watching MMA because it favours raw strength over technique because of the cage and also I find *most* of the UFC fighters to be lacklustre.

Just wanted to see what other peoples opinions on this are. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Personally, I have pretty much given up on watching MMA because it favours raw strength over technique because of the cage and also I find *most* of the UFC fighters to be lacklustre.

If we're talking about the technical aspects, then the modern UFC is distinctly superior to Pride. The level of technique involved and required in the sport has evolved way beyond what appeared in in the days of Pride.
    As for raw strength over technique...that is distinctly not an accurate appraisal over how the sport works.
    There is a distinct difference between relying on strength instead of techique and making use of strength while performing technique.

Anyway, so from a technical standpoint, modern UFC is better.
    From a showmanship point of view, Pride really had that nailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

Hi guys,

:confused:

My opinion on this would be, that is one of the most ridiculous comments/posts I have seen on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

Hi guys,

The raw strength thing is completely wrong in my opinion.
    But i do agree with some fighters turning the sport into a 'less showy, let's grind out a victory' which isn't entertaining for the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

head on over to sherdog and you'll find loads of sympathizers. you should probably add in that fedor was the greatest ever somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Rob01 wrote: »
    :confused:

My opinion on this would be, that is one of the most ridiculous comments/posts I have seen on this forum.

Why? I trained in jiu Jitsu for many years and watched pride, UFC and K-1, but, from watching over the years, I find that in UFC, wrestlers especially the stronger ones just pin opponents to the cage. I prefer the fight to be reset in the middle of the ring so that technique wins over strength. I don't think pinning someone to a cage shows much if any skill and certainly doesn't merit reward in the form of a victory.

In terms of fighters, I find the UFC fighters to be of lower quality for this reason. There are some quality fighters there alright (GSP, Anderson Silva, Jon Jones etc.) but then you have over hyped average fighters like Michael Bisping etc, who just dont cut the mustard.

Personally, I found Pride to be a superior franchise.

• Advertisement

empacher wrote: »
    head on over to sherdog and you'll find loads of sympathizers. you should probably add in that fedor was the greatest ever somewhere.

Well he probably was the greatest fighter ever, but he is well past it now. Fedor in his prime would have beaten anyone that ever fought in the UFC. Only thing that bothered me about him is that he had a tendency to fall into armbars and gave away his back a lot. Used to drive me mad!

Well he probably was the greatest fighter ever, but he is well past it now. Fedor in his prime would have beaten anyone that ever fought in the UFC. Only thing that bothered me about him is that he had a tendency to fall into armbars and gave away his back a lot. Used to drive me mad!

I think Kimbo had superior raw strength.

The raw strength thing is completely wrong in my opinion.
    But i do agree with some fighters turning the sport into a 'less showy, let's grind out a victory' which isn't entertaining for the fans.

It's just my opinion from watching it, could be a symptom of having so many wrestlers in the franchise. Just look at Lesnar, Ortiz, Couture etc. They couldn't have used a ring in that method to play to their strengths.

Yes, that is a another point. I feel that the fighters are going for a more brute force type of training as opposed to becoming more skilled as regards striking/ground work.

I think Kimbo had superior raw strength.

Maybe so, but the same could have been said about Kevin Randleman ;)

It's just my opinion from watching it, could be a symptom of having so many wrestlers in the franchise. Just look at Lesnar, Ortiz, Couture etc. They couldn't have used a ring in that method to play to their strengths.

Yes, that is a another point. I feel that the fighters are going for a more brute force type of training as opposed to becoming more skilled as regards striking/ground work.

Even JDS who is one of the best strikers in the game and keeps his matches standing up has a brown belt in BJJ.
    I think all the fighters are getting better in every aspect of their game.

• Advertisement

Even JDS who is one of the best strikers in the game and keeps his matches standing up has a brown belt in BJJ.
    I think all the fighters are getting better in every aspect of their game.

Well in fairness I don't think that any pro MMA fighter could possibly fighter without having a decent grade of ground based martial arts. Just look at the likes of Cro Cop and any other K1 fighters that made the move the MMA, they generally get destroyed so it is a must really.

Actually, in UFC, you will find that a lot of ground based fighters will stay on the ground to invite the challenge because you can't soccer kick in UFC. I think this can play to certain fighters advantages. UFC doesn't favour the out and out striker IMO.

Why? I trained in jiu Jitsu for many years and watched pride, UFC and K-1, but, from watching over the years, I find that in UFC, wrestlers especially the stronger ones just pin opponents to the cage. I prefer the fight to be reset in the middle of the ring so that technique wins over strength. I don't think pinning someone to a cage shows much if any skill and certainly doesn't merit reward in the form of a victory.

You don't think shooting for a double or single leg, taking your opponent down, then keeping him down, especially if he has a good BJJ ground game requires much if any skill? Well then I don't think you fully understand the skill involved in doing so.

It's mixed martial arts don't forget, and different fighters will always have different styles. It's up to whoever is not of a wrestling background to train on counteracting this!
    In terms of fighters, I find the UFC fighters to be of lower quality for this reason. There are some quality fighters there alright (GSP, Anderson Silva, Jon Jones etc.) but then you have over hyped average fighters like Michael Bisping etc, who just dont cut the mustard.

Bisping is a big draw for the UFC and has only been beaten by the very top level guys but we could talk all day about him because he has so many people that dislike him. But lower quality fightes in general??? Renan Barao, Ben Henderson, Rory McDonald.....the list could go on and on. All young exciting top quality fighters making a name for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

I really really don't know where to start with this.
    1. pride had superstars built up due to a lack of challengers. Silva gomi and fedor mainly. How'd they get on after pride? None are top ten in their division
    2. Pride was of the day where fighters were one dimensional. Very easy to look skillful for a bjj black belt against a guy with no ground game.
    if it was still goin they probably would have evolved too.
    3. Strength isnt winning fights. Its a mix of technique and athleticism

Its hard for an opinion to be wrong.
    but yours is.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

UFC doesn't favour the out and out striker IMO.

Why should it? If the striker cannot stop himself being taken down, if he cannot of his own ability get back to his feet, why should it be the responsibility of anyone bar himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Actually, in UFC, you will find that a lot of ground based fighters will stay on the ground to invite the challenge because you can't soccer kick in UFC. I think this can play to certain fighters advantages. UFC doesn't favour the out and out striker IMO.

I find in the UFC that a lot of ground based fighters will completely ignore what they are good at and stay on the feet getting punched in the face until they lose.

I think the Top 10 of any division in the UFC are, for the most part, well round guys with some skill in all areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

The cage does suit the wrestlers due to the control it can give

So learn to wrestle

As for strength. Marius P did not fair that well.

Plus strength generally decreases as numbers of rounds goes up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Came into this thread with high hopes of a good conversation............ then read the OP!

I am disappoint :(

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Came into this thread with high hopes of a good conversation............ then read the OP!

I think the thread must be just a complete wind up and we are after chomping at the bit. So I'm done with it! :cool:

You don't think shooting for a double or single leg, taking your opponent down, then keeping him down, especially if he has a good BJJ ground game requires much if any skill? Well then I don't think you fully understand the skill involved in doing so.

It's mixed martial arts don't forget, and different fighters will always have different styles. It's up to whoever is not of a wrestling background to train on counteracting this!

Bisping is a big draw for the UFC and has only been beaten by the very top level guys but we could talk all day about him because he has so many people that dislike him. But lower quality fightes in general??? Renan Barao, Ben Henderson, Rory McDonald.....the list could go on and on. All young exciting top quality fighters making a name for themselves.

I wasn't talking about take downs, I was talking about pinning someone to the cage. Of course take downs require skill.

I didn't find him to be a decent fighter from what I've seen personally.
    1. pride had superstars built up due to a lack of challengers. Silva gomi and fedor mainly. How'd they get on after pride? None are top ten in their division
    2. Pride was of the day where fighters were one dimensional. Very easy to look skillful for a bjj black belt against a guy with no ground game.

but yours is.

1. - Fedor has beaten Arlovski, Sylvia, Noguiera, Coleman Randleman. All former UFC champions. He is past it now. Rampage was quite strong in UFC if I do remember correctly.

2. Not necessarily, many of the fighters had strong stand up and ground games. This happens in all MMA franchises.

3. I'm sorry now but Brock Lesnar is a prime example proving otherwise.
    Why should it? If the striker cannot stop himself being taken down, if he cannot of his own ability get back to his feet, why should it be the responsibility of anyone bar himself?

You probably misinterpreted what I was saying, I had said that grapplers and fighters with strong ground game have the upperhand compared to strikers because you cant soccer kick and can pin against the cage. In pride this didnt happen.
    I find in the UFC that a lot of ground based fighters will completely ignore what they are good at and stay on the feet getting punched in the face until they lose.

I think the Top 10 of any division in the UFC are, for the most part, well round guys with some skill in all areas.

Well thats a downfall of the UFC, it encourages a more slugfest/grind out a win style fight as opposed to a disciplined fight.
    The cage does suit the wrestlers due to the control it can give

So learn to wrestle

As for strength. Marius P did not fair that well.

Plus strength generally decreases as numbers of rounds goes up

That's not my point, my point is that watching someone pinned to a cage for 30 minutes is not entertaining. In a ring they would be reset and the fight could go on.

Pudzian is a bodybuilder, I dont even know why he was put into it. He could never be fit enough for MMA.

Why because I have an opinion on a sport that I used to love to watch and compete in for over 10 years until UFC ruined it?
    I think the thread must be just a complete wind up and we are after chomping at the bit. So I'm done with it! :cool:

How is it a wind up? I genuinely prefer pride rules to UFC rules and wanted to see what others interested in MMA had to say, but hey, you wanna just leave smart comments then please do as you were and leaving this thread.

Elements of Pride Rules and Japanese rules would benefit modern day MMA, especially the judging.

But lad, you're living in the past. You're making Pride out to have been this be all and end all of MMA, where every fight was between 2 top guys with amazing technique. Talk about rose tinted glasses.

You do realise that a lot of the early Pride fights were works right?

You do realise that Pride facilitated a ridiculous amount of freakshows on their cards yeah? Butterbean v Zulu? Fedor v Zulu? Takese v Yarborough? Countless more!

Pride were known for sticking good guys in against massively over-matched guys in order to create slick highlight videos for their big names.

I'm not denying Pride had great champions and great matches and was, in turn, great. But you're being very selective here in what you're saying. You're misrepresenting what Pride was, it's as if you've never actually seen a Pride event and you've just read about it in a book somewhere.

• Advertisement

Not even gonna entertain arlovski randlemen and Coleman. Sylvia he did destroy but hardly in his prime.
    Nog is a legitimate scalp yes.
    Rampage was more interested in partying and getting his dik wet in Japan. His attitude to training changed coming back to America.
    Brock is a prime example of someone getting a title shot hedidn't deserve. But sure that never happened in pride ;)

Elements of Pride Rules and Japanese rules would benefit modern day MMA, especially the judging.

But lad, you're living in the past. You're making Pride out to have been this be all and end all of MMA, where every fight was between 2 top guys with amazing technique. Talk about rose tinted glasses.

You do realise that a lot of the early Pride fights were works right?

You do realise that Pride facilitated a ridiculous amount of freakshows on their cards yeah? Butterbean v Zulu? Fedor v Zulu? Takese v Yarborough? Countless more!

Pride were known for sticking good guys in against massively over-matched guys in order to create slick highlight videos for their big names.

I'm not denying Pride had great champions and great matches and was, in turn, great. But you're being very selective here in what you're saying. You're misrepresenting what Pride was, it's as if you've never actually seen a Pride event and you've just read about it in a book somewhere.

Well no its mainly the rules of Pride that I much prefer.

I know there was matches like that, mainly because of the open weight class, they were pretty sh1te.

No you are wrong there, I used follow Pride religiously!
    Not even gonna entertain arlovski randlemen and Coleman. Sylvia he did destroy but hardly in his prime.
    Nog is a legitimate scalp yes.
    Rampage was more interested in partying and getting his dik wet in Japan. His attitude to training changed coming back to America.
    Brock is a prime example of someone getting a title shot hedidn't deserve. But sure that never happened in pride ;)

Well I'm just making the point that they were UFC champions. Sylvia was always a terrible fighter!

This crap goes on in a lot of fight sports but as I said, its the pride rules and use of the ring instead of cage that would benefit UFC immensely, but the cage is the commercial product synonymous with MMA now :(

cage is safer. Simple as. I know i wouldn't fight in the ring

Why not? In case you're thrown out? That's a foul in pride rules.

so if I'm fighting i have to hold back on my drive in case i a. Hurt myself or b. Cause a foul?
    not a chance
    the ring is a thing of the past and is only still in Japan for nostalgia

DO you honestly need to ask "Why not?" when told a cage is safer? I thought you used to compete for 10 years in MMA?

Also, what do you mean you competed in MMA for 10 years "before UFC ruined it"? Were you competing for 10 years before UFC was around? I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Pride was awesome...in it's day. Modern days UFC has amazingly skilled fighters like Aldo, Ben Henderson and GSP who would succeed under any mma ruleset.

but yours is.

"Its hard for an opinion to be wrong, but yours is" That's a dickheaded thing to say. :D

1. The aforementioned Pride stars were in their prime at the time of pride. By the time they moved to the UFC, the game has changed and passed them by for the most part. it doesnt mean they were bad fighters or in any way over-rated, it just means they got old or stale. Rampage did okay, Henderson and Shogun did great, Anderson Silva is dominant, etc
    2. I dont entirely agree. When compared to modern MMA, everything looked one dimensional back then whether it's UFc or Pride. Don't fool yourself that there weren't any well rounded fighters in Pride.
    3. I'm not sure what that means.

I thnk what he's trying to say is you can't win a fight with strength alone. You have to mix it with athleticism, technique, skill, speed etc.

I have no doubt that Mariusz P is stronger than JDS. But you put those 2 lads into a fight and Mariusz isn't having a very fun night!

Pride was awesome...in it's day. Modern days UFC has amazingly skilled fighters like Aldo, Ben Henderson and GSP who would succeed under any mma ruleset.

but yours is.

"Its hard for an opinion to be wrong, but yours is" That's a dickheaded thing to say. :D

1. The aforementioned Pride stars were in their prime at the time of pride. By the time they moved to the UFC, the game has changed and passed them by for the most part. it doesnt mean they were bad fighters or in any way over-rated, it just means they got old or stale. Rampage did okay, Henderson and Shogun did great, Anderson Silva is dominant, etc
    2. I dont entirely agree. When compared to modern MMA, everything looked one dimensional back then whether it's UFc or Pride. Don't fool yourself that there weren't any well rounded fighters in Pride.

I sounded that way because i am one ;)

I think you missed my point.
    Anderson was hardly a pride big name. Just an up and comer
    Hendo was ducked by wandy for a long time cuz of his status. Shogun never got his shot bein silvas partner.
    My point is the competition might have been there but was rarely put to the superstars.
    the strength thing was referring to the op

• Advertisement

so if I'm fighting i have to hold back on my drive in case i a. Hurt myself or b. Cause a foul?
    not a chance
    the ring is a thing of the past and is only still in Japan for nostalgia

I disagree and prefer the ring for fights. This is my opinion.
    DO you honestly need to ask "Why not?" when told a cage is safer? I thought you used to compete for 10 years in MMA?

Also, what do you mean you competed in MMA for 10 years "before UFC ruined it"? Were you competing for 10 years before UFC was around? I'm confused.

No. I never said I competed for 10 years. I said I watched it for about 10 years and did train in Jiu Jitsu and also Judo for a little bit. I don't think a cage being safer makes for a better fight.

Advertisement