Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surviving financially until grant comes through?

Options
  • 30-04-2012 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

How did guys keep up financially until the grant actually came through? I mean it could take a few months before the government gives me money for the grant, so how did you guys do it?

I had a plan of getting a job during summer after the leaving cert to get enough to live until the grant came through but now I am starting to worry about what im going to do if I can't find work during summer since my parent cannot help out financially, should I resort to student overdraft or something? any advice would be great people as I a stressing myself over this a little too much....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I did two things... I asked someone I knew who had money to borrow me a sum, then paid it back when the grant did come through and I did small jobs for family members and stuff to get me by

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭rainbow66666

roughly speaking how much would you think you would need to live on if the rent was 55 a week, maybe about 1000-1500 until the grant comes through?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

How did guys keep up financially until the grant actually came through? I mean it could take a few months before the government gives me money for the grant, so how did you guys do it?

I had a plan of getting a job during summer after the leaving cert to get enough to live until the grant came through but now I am starting to worry about what im going to do if I can't find work during summer since my parent cannot help out financially, should I resort to student overdraft or something? any advice would be great people as I a stressing myself over this a little too much....

there are a number of solutions to your problem

1: get a job for the summer and buld up some money

2: get a student overdraft wich normaly have a zero intrest rate while you are in college

3: get a student loan (talk to your local bank about both of these options )

on the positives you can learn to live of very little as a student with your main expences being your rent and food i find alde and lidle very good for geting my shoping

the overdraft seems more likely than the loan because i wouldnt need too much and the interest rates on the loans from AIB (my bank) are killer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Student over draft with are interest free up to 600 and 1500 ( i think, could be 1200) if a parent signs off on them.
    They aren't just handing them out like they used to and they must go through who deals with the loans in your branch.
    I needed 2 months rent waiting for final grant payment and they refused me because I didnt have a part time job. (they would give me the higher amount if a parent signed off on it though:confused:)

I went to the credit union and they have always given me money when stuck.
    If you put 10-20 in now between now and september they will have no bother giving you a loan.

• Advertisement

so you wreckon singing up for a credit union account is probably the best thing for me to do to get a loan off them instead of the bank? i heard they are less strict and more "user friendly" but i dont have a credit union account and it might be too late now i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

so you wreckon singing up for a credit union account is probably the best thing for me to do to get a loan off them instead of the bank? i heard they are less strict and more "user friendly" but i dont have a credit union account and it might be too late now i suppose

I had a 5er in there till a few weeks before college and then put in loads in the one go that i had saved at home from work.
    They have me twice the amount i had in there. all i needed was a parent to sign it off. I had it nearly down to 500 by paying it off weekly and a 5er into the account and they gave me another 2k till i got my grant this year and another a few weeks ago on the condition i paid some back when the payment came through for my grant.
    They prefer you saving in there and been a customer instead of big lump sums like i did tho.

Btw another heads up is you wont get ur last payment of the grant till around now and will have it to blow over the summer

im more worried about when i get the first payment and surviving till that comes through......i will apply literally withing the first week the applications become available but i still need money to live till i get the first payment and just a little concerned about what ill end up doing if i dont get a job over summer :/

Advertisement