Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I paying rent to often?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Glad you got it sorted OP and definitely make sure you are getting receipts. There are all sorts of reasons you may need one in the future. Hopefully it won't ever be a problem but if you lost your job, for example, you'd need to show a record of payments in order to apply for rent allowance. Make sure you protect yourself.
    There are 13 lunar months in a year. What of it?

No there aren't. A lunar cycle is slightly more than 29.5 days. There are 12 lunar cycles every 354 days. Every third year there will be 3 new moons within one year but there are only 12 complete lunar cycles per year.
    jen84 wrote: »
    Ha, she could quite possibly be thick!! I was out for dinner with a bunch of old mates recently & one of the lads new girlfriends was trying to tell us (like it was a massive revelation!) how in fact pregnancy was 10 months instead of 9!

So apparently theres 40 weeks of pregnancy, which divided by 4 weeks in every month is 10 months!!- in her calculations,

Oh dear.... we all politely nodded

An especially stupid statement as there are 38 gestational week of pregnancy, as we currently calculate weeks pregnant, the conception happens at the beginning of week 3. Most pregnancies are slightly less than 9 calender months long. I got pregnant in mid-February and am due early November, slightly less than 9 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

I hope you deduct the overpaid rent from the next payment op.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

iguana wrote: »

No there aren't. A lunar cycle is slightly more than 29.5 days. There are 12 lunar cycles every 354 days. Every third year there will be 3 new moons within one year but there are only 12 complete lunar cycles per year.
    A period of 4 weeks is called a lunar month to distinguish it from a calendar month. You have described a lunar cycle which has nothing to do with a lunar month. The phrase "lunar month" is not a statement of the length of the lunar cycle which is a matter of astronomy. The phrase lunar month is a term of art in law.

A 12 month lease in common law lasts 48 weeks. If intended to last a calendar year the lease would have to be for 13 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

My girlfriend had the same situation. They loved the house and got on well with the landlord but she demanded getting paid weekly and came on different days to collect the money.

My solution was that they would leave the monthly rental amount in an envelope every month and she could come when she wants and take what she wants (supervised of course). She didn't agree.
    I tried to explain to her that if there's 5 weeks in a month that they are paying more that month (everyone was paid monthly) but she didn't understand!

In the end they had to move out & the next tenant left too because of the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

It's either calendar month rates or weekly rates, not both!

If someone says monthly = x, than that is per whole month (i.e., calendar).

If she said the rent is €125/week, then that's what it is.

What does you contract say? A proper calendar month rental contract will say pay 'x' per calendar month on 'y' day of the month. As in for June 2012 rent pay whatever it is before the 1st of the month.

( the quick of estimating monthly calendar rent is multiply weekly rent x 4.3. Sometimes weekly rent is quoted as it sounds cheaper on an advert or when discussing it; in reality, she wants rent of 537/month, not 500. )

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

n900guy wrote: »
    It's either calendar month rates or weekly rates, not both!

If someone says monthly = x, than that is per whole month (i.e., calendar).

If she said the rent is €125/week, then that's what it is.

What does you contract say? A proper calendar month rental contract will say pay 'x' per calendar month on 'y' day of the month. As in for June 2012 rent pay whatever it is before the 1st of the month.

( the quick of estimating monthly calendar rent is multiply weekly rent x 4.3. Sometimes weekly rent is quoted as it sounds cheaper on an advert or when discussing it; in reality, she wants rent of 537/month, not 500. )

That is not the law!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Sometimes DAFT etc. give the amount in months when it should be in weeks. You have to go by the contract and not the ad.

(Maybe there would be a law that would prove me wrong but I think this is the case.)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cash in hand can mean tax evasion; the Op said i think that the tenancy is registered with PTRB though...I always pay by standing order, as of course there is the record then.

Advertisement