Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Beast of Ballyhoura

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

As with almost everything, specific training is *usually* best. Train in the type of boat you're going to race in. Beyond the might-as-well-not-be-there 2 minute paddle on a s(h)it-on-top you get in most multi-sports races in Ireland, there are a wide variety of boats used in ARs. Everything from rubber duckies (blow up canoes) to slick racing sea kayaks.

But of course, kayaking being a technical sport, there are advances to be had by upskilling in different types of boat.

E.g. Most ARs are done in doubles of some kind, so learning and practicing the techniques of working as a pair in a double is very important. However, I've found it very beneficial to work on my own technique by doing most of my training in a single so I can work on my own boat control, stroke, etc.

Different boats can be more useful for learning different things. I find river boats great for learning all the various paddling strokes, sea kayaks great for specifically refining forward paddling, white water racers for honing boat control and balance, for example.

As ever with AR, its best to be a good all-rounder!

The best thing to do though is to get proper lessons from an expert to begin with. We have internationally recognised top class coaches here in Ireland. They'd be the ones to go to get the best answer!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Well done on the win. Crossed your path plenty of times and ye were all business thats for sure! So what kind of kayak would you recommend for training for expedition type events?

Tks Mike

Have ( at least this once :eek:) to agree with Enduro - Tailor your kayak training to boats you are to use in races if kayak is to be a significant part of the races but if you start with good skills then you can transfer.
    Tis like swimming - technique is well worth having

Many of us ( Enduro included!) spent too long mucking about in Sit on tops and did not learn good kayak control, positioning and stroke skills day one so best to learn the right skills day one and save yourself the bother of trying to teach a old dog new tricks :D

Once you have those skills you can paddle anything - Liffey Descent is a great fun event to put your skills into practice :D

Advertisement