Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"boy racers" not welcome?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

21121993 wrote: »
    GAS OUT!!! ALL THE OTHER VIDEOS OF RALLY DRIVERS "MESSING" IN **PUBLIC** PLACES HAVE BEEN REMOVED BAR THIS, WHICH ISNT TOO BAD BUT HAVE SEEN THE VIDEOS BEFORE OF THIS MK2 ON CROSSROADS, WHILE CARS ARE PASSING...NOT ANY DIFFERENT FROM WHAT OTHERS YOUR SLATING DO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9m647obOMg

You'll find most of the videos that have been removed from youtube but also drivers have lost their license's over the head of messing on public road's. The motorclubs have also been known to not accept entries from drivers who have been messers if they didn't lose their rally license.

You'll find that that type of behaviour isn't welcome at rallying in any way shape or form!

P.S. Is there any need for the CAPS ON FOR THE WHOLE POST?
    carazy wrote:
    Ok lets just point out the lack of thought that went into this:

It has a photo of a car at a controlled event (notice tyres in the backround). A controlled event just like a rally, the driver is doing nothing wrong in the photo.

It uses the phrase 'boy racer' which is a lazy cop-out wording for the add.

Personally I think the biggest problem associated with the rally is the drunkeness that decends onto the town over the weekend. Every year 30-40 and upwards are arrested for Public Order offences and you can bet your bottom dollar that half of these arrests rally bridgade 'subaru jacket' and any other jacket that they wear to feel part of a team the sit on a ditch and ogle over.

I fully agree it is badly worded and could have been done differently, its kinda the point of the thread here in a way. I was trying to highlight the fact that the ad wasn't an attempt to tell all mod car drivers that they aren't welcome, its more a deterant aimed at the illegal differs. Gladly though it seems most of the people here seem to agree with the point the ad is trying to convey and it seems that majority of the people who are getting rattled about this (on facebook and other forums) are the messers themselves (not always the case though).

On the public order offences comment, thats wrong someone over on a different forum brought up the PO offences and it was no higher than any other weekend, was surprised at that myself. But it is the same as anything really you'll find that there are bad eggs that follow every sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I thought it would be pritty obvious who the club are aiming this add at.

The lads who go down and just act the fool from Friday night to Monday. Anyone who breaks the law should be reported. Be it diffin in some car park at 2am keeping the locals up or like reports of last year closing a main road to let some lads do some donuts on a public road that should of been open!!

Basically the add says don't be a dick over the rally weekend.

On the public order offences comment, thats wrong someone over on a different forum brought up the PO offences and it was no higher than any other weekend, was surprised at that myself. But it is the same as anything really you'll find that there are bad eggs that follow every sport.

Here ya go....

58 Arrests

34 - Public Order
    15 Drunk Driving
    3 Dangerous Driving
    6 Drug Searches

Percentage Car Related = 31%
    Percentage Public Order = 59%

64 arrests
    12 Drink driving
    13 Drugs offence
    6- Dangerous Driving
    33 Public Order

Percentage car related - 39%
    Percentage Public Order - 52%

26 Arrests
    3- Drunk Driving
    2-Dangerous Driving
    21-Public Order Offences

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

I'm no real person to speak about acting the maggot on roads but I have been charged for doing doughnuts at a rally before. Many years ago now, but it opened my eyes! Since that night I sold the rwd an never looked back as its a mugs game!

Most doughnutters/handbrake queens couldn't drive a thumbtack in a bog with a frying pan!! I was one of them I'll admit.

I feel sorry when I see the younger generation messing on roads in their rwds, talking from experience there is no skill in doing doughnuts. It's all an ego show!! And dangerous as the crowd gets away too close to a car blackening a main road.

One year back at the rally I witnessed five Garda vehicles trying to get an ambulance through all the differs/messers/hooligans/car enthusiasts on the main cork road. How would you like it if it was you or your relation in the ambulance that died because they couldn't get to hospital fast enough.

One thing that amuses me is how all these doughnutters come to rallies to do wreck and are as quite as mice on the roads around a prodrift drifting event!!!

If I could I'd happily join the guards in Killarney this week tell em which things shouldn't be on a car, where the messing happens and show them some of the cheap heaps of cars with welded diffs in them! I'd even bring a box of ratchets to open the diffs to show the guards. I am a passionate rally fan, and travel the length a breath of the country following a sport big in Ireland but has a taboo attached to it due to a minority.

There's a time and place for everything! Differs bring no money to Killarney as the lack of sleep and cleaning up Costs the townspeople more money then income.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

What other town of 13,500 has that many of arrests (21,33,34 people) on the May Bank Holiday weekend?! I viewed that thread too but only found evidence that the PO offences were increased due to the rally being on that weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I think ye are picking it up wrong , I know hundreds of lads that have b&b and hotel booked but yes they are not boy racers but are car enthusiasts that's my point.
    Yes u will get messers but they are just idiots.
    My point is us that are big car enthusiasts should not be painted with the same brush.

What it seems to me like is that people are getting upset because they've just realised that they fit the boy racer stereotype.

If people are genuine car enthusiasts, they need to have a long think as to why they're so offended by this. That poster is as vague as it gets, so the only people painting them with the same brush is themselves. So if they've suddenly had the realisation they're not as separated from the boy racer scene as they'd like to think they are, that's their own issue to sort out.

As for the whole idea of "Sure if the messers never go to the rally there'd be no income at all"... sort of a flawed idea.

One reason a lot of actual enthusiasts don't go is because there is such a high proportion of tits to actual people who love motorsports. So if less idiots go, more genuinely interested people will.

Also, if there's less people acting the idiot, the motorsport scene might actually benefit and grow from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

What it seems to me like is that people are getting upset because they've just realised that they fit the boy racer stereotype.

If people are genuine car enthusiasts, they need to have a long think as to why they're so offended by this. That poster is as vague as it gets, so the only people painting them with the same brush is themselves. So if they've suddenly had the realisation they're not as separated from the boy racer scene as they'd like to think they are, that's their own issue to sort out.

As for the whole idea of "Sure if the messers never go to the rally there'd be no income at all"... sort of a flawed idea.

One reason a lot of actual enthusiasts don't go is because there is such a high proportion of tits to actual people who love motorsports. So if less idiots go, more genuinely interested people will.

Also, if there's less people acting the idiot, the motorsport scene might actually benefit and grow from it.

Finally - the point is clear!

It's also worth noting that if genuine car enthusiasts are offended by the ad specifically aimed at boy-racing diffing trouble-makers and are having trouble distancing themselves from this stereotype...think how difficult it is for the motorclubs to differentiate between boy-racers and licensed motorsport events with local residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Muttly

I think everyone is missing the point. MCE's are annoyed by this because your average person can't tell/doesn't want to know the difference between a boy racer and MCE. MCE's are qorried that by simply being there cops will be called on them. For a genuine MCE this won't be an issue but its still hassle and embarrassing being pulled and getting an ear full for no reason other than someone didn't like the look of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I think ye are picking it up wrong , I know hundreds of lads that have b&b and hotel booked but yes they are not boy racers but are car enthusiasts that's my point.
    Yes u will get messers but they are just idiots.
    My point is us that are big car enthusiasts should not be painted with the same brush.

I really hope that wasn't aimed at me!
    I'm a grown married man now and never went on like an idiot anyway.

Carazy wrote: »
    What other town of 13,500 has that many of arrests (21,33,34 people) on the May Bank Holiday weekend?! I viewed that thread too but only found evidence that the PO offences were increased due to the rally being on that weekend!

You on the mountain Biking Donegal forum too? Someone said a few posts below that, if ya go and look at that thread, that on average it's 18 PO arrests over the year so. Kinda pointless quoting it as its not official figure's (like the one I've quoted above is) it was worked out from the years figure divided by 52 IIRC, and a bank holiday figure is a lot higher than a normal weekend would be too. It's not really the issue though but just saying, but like I said too you get bad eggs that follow every sport. But the difficulty caused by the illegal differs far outweighs the problem caused by PO offences that you get most normal weekends anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Muttly wrote: »
    I think everyone is missing the point. MCE's are annoyed by this because your average person can't tell/doesn't want to know the difference between a boy racer and MCE. MCE's are qorried that by simply being there cops will be called on them. For a genuine MCE this won't be an issue but its still hassle and embarrassing being pulled and getting an ear full for no reason other than someone didn't like the look of them.

MCE aren't their in their car as it takes too much time and work to keep their dream machine going ( horray for cheap bangers )

Boy racers are their with their Tacky generic mods... Talking about how fast their low displacement car is, how well she goes sideways etc... Yet as its already been mentioned... when i go to prodrift or similar... these " MCE " are nowhere to be seen...

which begs the question...

If you drive a RWD car with locked/locking rear diff.... love drifting/rally and go to both events... why not act the muppet at both...

Is it simply because the drifters will laugh at you drifting or the fact that they only get away with it at a rally where power in numbers empowers the meek...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kiang91

Denise90 wrote: »
    I don't see why people that own a modified car are getting wound up about it. It clearly states "boy racers" and if a modified car enthusiast is getting offended, are they not putting themselves in the eejit category?

I own a modified Honda Civic and live in the killarney area. I was severely abused at the rally last year when DRIVING TO WORK! It was the middle of the day, I wasn't revving the car or doing anything stupid, although when people started shouting at me in the middle of town I was very tempted to make as much noise as possible just to spite them.
    People obviously just assume car enthusiasts, like myself, and boy racers are all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

Kiang91 wrote: »
    I own a modified Honda Civic and live in the killarney area. I was severely abused at the rally last year when DRIVING TO WORK! It was the middle of the day, I wasn't revving the car or doing anything stupid, although when people started shouting at me in the middle of town I was very tempted to make as much noise as possible just to spite them.
    People obviously just assume car enthusiasts, like myself, and boy racers are all the same.

I understand that, I used to drive modified cars myself but what I'm saying is I don't understand, we'll say, the likes of yourself getting offended by a silly poster that is aimed at the fools that cause crashes and injury to others. Everyone that isn't involved in the "scene" will call boy racer.. there's no getting away from that but there's no point in the enthusiasts jumping on the defense bandwagon.... fuel to the fire and what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kiang91

I understand that, I used to drive modified cars myself but what I'm saying is I don't understand, we'll say, the likes of yourself getting offended by a silly poster that is aimed at the fools that cause crashes and injury to others. Everyone that isn't involved in the "scene" will call boy racer.. there's no getting away from that but there's no point in the enthusiasts jumping on the defense bandwagon.... fuel to the fire and what not.

It doesn't offend me as much as it seems to be a bad idea. I think this will just encourage more boy racers to go out and wreck the roads in spite.
    The only problem then is that anyone with a modified car is painted with the one brush, and we will all suffer the abuse for it over the lakes weekend no matter what way we drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The problem with the poster isn't that it will make car enthusiasts tell you **** off, it's that it'll have every Garda and every person that's not into cars telling you to **** off out of town because they think you're going to be doing donuts. People that may not have thought of it will probably get a bit of a vigilante buzz after seeing this. They will see it too, it's been posted bloody everywhere at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

CianRyan wrote: »
    The problem with the poster isn't that it will make car enthusiasts tell you **** off, it's that it'll have every Garda and every person that's not into cars telling you to **** off out of town because they think you're going to be doing donuts. People that may not have thought of it will probably get a bit of a vigilante buzz after seeing this. They will see it too, it's been posted bloody everywhere at this point.

+100, its exactly the reason why anyone would get upset, I just got an FTO coupe and everyone in work was joking about me "your a boy racer now" its just what Joe public think and sometimes misconceptions are frustrating, anyway the boyracer move is more towards VW and TDI now and much less on Japanese cars.

+100, its exactly the reason why anyone would get upset, I just got an FTO coupe and everyone in work was joking about me "your a boy racer now" its just what Joe public think and sometimes misconceptions are frustrating, anyway the boyracer move is more towards VW and TDI now and much less on Japanese cars.

And bam, there's another error.
    There should be an E36 doing donuts with a felt spec B4 sitting in the corner shouting BOOOOOO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

i never paint a group with the one brush but the scumbags with their sh*box's staying in the gleneagle apartments are doing donuts on the grass etc. Don't these people have any sense? Maintaining that grass can't be cheap and theres kids around. Also I haven't seen 1 tasteful 'modified car' all weekend. 90% (literally) have massive pointless aerials and full blue and yellow laminated headlights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

The guards are a joke in this country. Every year outside Killarney on the road from Killarney to Barraduff, there is one long and wide stretch of road outside Barraduff (on the Killarney side) where all this donut activity goes on and every year after the rally of the lakes, this stretch of road is constantly blackened with tyre marks. The same has happened this year. The guards are afraid of these groups and wont interfere with them. Its insane to think that they can get away with this.

A lot of these boy racers have a chip on their shoulder. I crossed one of the streets in Killarney yesterday and this boy racer who was stopped kept revving his car until I got off the road, in other words he was basically telling me to get the fcuk out of his way even-though I am entitled to cross the street without been intimidated. Unfortunately from what I can see, there are very few car enthusiastics that actually follow this sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

DrMorphine wrote: »
    i never paint a group with the one brush but the scumbags with their sh*box's staying in the gleneagle apartments are doing donuts on the grass etc. Don't these people have any sense? Maintaining that grass can't be cheap and theres kids around. Also I haven't seen 1 tasteful 'modified car' all weekend. 90% (literally) have massive pointless aerials and full blue and yellow laminated headlights etc

Didnt see one decent modified car in Killarney over the weekend. Most of them were piles of scrap.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Came across a few of these lads (Educated Guess) around cork today, on the fermoy road.

2 TDI Golf's following a Nova (I think)
    Both Golf's had masshove CB airels on them :rolleyes:

And bam, there's another error.
    There should be an E36 doing donuts with a felt spec B4 sitting in the corner shouting BOOOOOO.
    mik_da_man wrote: »
    Came across a few of these lads (Educated Guess) around cork today, on the fermoy road.

2 TDI Golf's following a Nova (I think)
    Both Golf's had masshove CB airels on them :rolleyes:

See what I mean. All I was saying was VW,Audi and BMWs have become a big part of the Boyracer scene in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

See what I mean. All I was saying was VW,Audi and BMWs have become a big part of the Boyracer scene in recent years.

Reason being is they are easier insure and if it's a diesel it's cheaper to run while at the same time having a bit more power than it's petrol counterpart.

Insurance companies are behind the curve when it comes to high risk and so Jap imports are still astronomically high while the TDI (red D, red I :pac:) crowd are below the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mariusz Pudgyanovski

i think the problem of diff(lol)rentiating between a boyracer and "enthusiast" is due to the fact that there is so much common ground between them.

if you are a genuine MCE and happen to like/have a car that's unfortunately used often by muppets, then that's you tarred.

if you are a genuine MCE and want to disassociate yourself from muppets, you've basically limited yourself to either a very expensive car, or a crap/gay one that no boy racer would go near :rolleyes:

i think the problem of diff(lol)rentiating between a boyracer and "enthusiast" is due to the fact that there is so much common ground between them.

if you are a genuine MCE and happen to like/have a car that's unfortunately used often by muppets, then that's you tarred.

if you are a genuine MCE and want to disassociate yourself from muppets, you've basically limited yourself to either a very expensive car, or a crap/gay one that no boy racer would go near :rolleyes:

Completely agree.
    Found an old video that interviews different car owners on the whole 'boy racer culture'.
    This subaru owner tells it like it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2r5S9awSzf4#t=260s

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mariusz Pudgyanovski

Caliden wrote: »
    Completely agree.
    Found an old video that interviews different car owners on the whole 'boy racer culture'.
    This subaru owner tells it like it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2r5S9awSzf4#t=260s

Yeah i remember that vid :pac:
    the nasal kid with the likkle corolla, talking about how he "leaves 'em there" overtaking people... what a pillock

Watched that video a while back, the kid in 'Rolla needs his head checked.

Yeah i remember that vid :pac:
    the nasal kid with the likkle corolla, talking about how he "leaves 'em there" overtaking people... what a pillock

Yeah...I tried to leave that fella out :P

Here are some German 3 series doing Donuts, the sound alone is enough to piss people off:

• Advertisement

What a pair of knobs.
    Never mind the massive chrome and Lambo doors. They're clearly not in control of their cars, blocking traffic and there were people around.
    Horrible ***** really.

Advertisement